E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Leaving ipod classic connected kills the car battery??

01-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
spyre
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Leaving ipod classic connected kills the car battery??

I recently bought my e92 335i with the ipod setup. I hooked up my ipod classic to the y cable and it works just fine thru the idrive, but after not driving the car for a day I got in and the car came up and warned that the car battery was low and made the warning symbol on the dash.

There is nothing else on or any lights that were left on, all I can figure is the ipod is still thinking it's supposed to be on and running even though the car is off. Do I need to manually turn off or disconnect the ipod every time? I never had this issue in my old M3 with a kenwood head unit connection to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

I can't believe the power drain from an iPod over one day would do that to the car. I would keep an eye on this as you may need a trip to an auto electrician. It sounds like the car is leaving something on or there is a short somewhere.
      01-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

My ipod classic was plugged in for 3 years straight (except for updating it) on my '07 and now it's been plugged into my '11 since Nov'10, so that's 5 years total ... and no dead battery on either.
      01-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
spyre
Rep

Ok good, I'll rule out the ipod as the main issue there, or exposing a possible weak battery. I suppose a battery should still be under the bumper to bumper maint. warranty. If it dies I'll force them to replace it! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
chitownkev
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Hey guys,
New e90 (2007 335i) owner and new member of the forum here.

I was worried about the possible battery drain problem myself, so I tested it out to give myself confidence that I wouldn't have to worry about it.

If you have the engine running with the key fob in your pocket (if you have Comfort Access) and your iPhone plugged in, you'll see the little lightnight bolt on your battery meter on the phone, showing that it's charging. Turn off the car completely, open the door and close the door to simulate getting out of the car and walking away, but keep the screen on your phone active (don't let it go to sleep). Power will continue to flow to the phone, but after a few minutes you should see that the phone is no longer charging, thus no longer drawing battery power and you shouldn't have to worry about the phone draining the battery.

Doesn't take long to confirm on your own to prove that you don't have to worry!

Hope this helps, I've already learned a lot from this forum in just the past week!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
Ok good, I'll rule out the ipod as the main issue there, or exposing a possible weak battery. I suppose a battery should still be under the bumper to bumper maint. warranty. If it dies I'll force them to replace it! Thanks!
Sounds like the battery is going bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
spyre
Rep

Well it's been fine since. Weird stuff. When it popped up about the battery was low I just checked the nav map version without running the car for like 30 seconds when it came up. Haven't seen it since so I'm not too worried about it I guess.
Appreciate 0