E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > To all the guys boasting about their mods...

11-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #23
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggerben View Post
anyway ford made him buy a new motor and return all engine mods to stock or were going to void his warranty.
long boring story short------
If they made him buy a new motor, how much more of a warranty could they have voided at that point?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #24
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggerben View Post
i used to work at a ford dealership. i still am a service advisor. anyway we had a new focus svt towed in one day,crank no start. we do all the diag,take the timing cover off and it looked ike someone was in there prior. bolt heads scratched/marked up from sockets,etc... anyway found the timing was way off and pistons hit valves. not a good thing. any on repairs like that,dealers have to call in for authorization. we called it in. somehow ford found ot this kid was on a svt forum tring to install an adjustable cam gear set and did not have the right tools and did not set the timing right. the ford rep came to out dealer with a chat room log,and about 20 pages of posts this kid made about messing up his motor and other forum members told him to put it all to stock. anyway ford made him buy a new motor and return all engine mods to stock or were going to void his warranty.
long boring story short------
be careful what you post.
he had a 12k bill on a pos focus.
my .02
The DIY Forum thread on installing adjustable cam gears must have had poor instructions. It should have said something about having the right tools available even when performing these minor engine tweaks. I am anxious for a tuner to come out with a cam mod for my 335 since I have proven myself adept at installing a SSTT.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #25
baggerben
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: volvo s70 t5,for now.335i soon

the focus has 12k on it when the motor issue happened.
just be carefull,use you best judgement, yada yada yada......
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #26
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 335i View Post
That post is BS. First of all, the OP didn't give any personal information that a BMW customer service representative could contact him by. What are they going to use, a PM? Give me a break.
if you think it's BS then you haven't been around here every long. The same kind of post has happened to more than one person on this forum over the last couple of years and yes, a rep from BMW did contact them through PM to get more info.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #27
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

We've had a few other threads around here discussing the fact that BMW has something like "internet readers", or "forum readers", or whatever (not sure of the exact title) that are on all the forums.

They basically troll around and try to pick up "the pulse of the consumer"...or something like that.

I don't know how much of this "trolling" actually goes on, but I'm sure it happens at some level.
      11-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #28
E90 335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Then if I am wrong, I am wrong...that is an awesome employee to be searching the forums looking to help people. Kudos. Either way, it is nothing to be paranoid about unless you screw up and you really have to screw up.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #29
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 335i View Post
Then if I am wrong, I am wrong...that is an awesome employee to be searching the forums looking to help people. Kudos. Either way, it is nothing to be paranoid about unless you screw up and you really have to screw up.
+1 I have seen nothing but helpful responses by the BMW NA customer relations folks on E90post and bimmerfest.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #30
E90 335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Guess I haven't been around here long enough. Haven't seen it once yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #31
jahwerx
Certified Purveyor of the High Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Corporate folks ABSOLUTELY troll the forums (I know from the industry I'm in) and sometimes its just a matter of getting posts deleted, etc. The minute you post to any forum, you may as well give up your anonymity as well.

Heck, just be honest. I let my CA drive my JB2 335 last week - full disclosure. he thought it was fun - LOL.

If you can't deal with the consequences of modding, tracking, street racing, etc. certainly don't post about it!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #32
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahwerx View Post
Corporate folks ABSOLUTELY troll the forums (I know from the industry I'm in) and sometimes its just a matter of getting posts deleted, etc. The minute you post to any forum, you may as well give up your anonymity as well.

Heck, just be honest. I let my CA drive my JB2 335 last week - full disclosure. he thought it was fun - LOL.

If you can't deal with the consequences of modding, tracking, street racing, etc. certainly don't post about it!
Good point--modding and posting about it makes you easy to identify. Again, find an understanding service dept.
Appreciate 0