E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 328xi squeak from sterring wheel

03-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328XI coupe 6MT

328xi squeak from sterring wheel

hi, I have a 2009 328xi coupe..
I bought this car used a few weeks ago.. nearly new condition with 33,000kms on it..

It was bought new from BMW dealer by original owner, who then traded it in at an Audi dealer, where I know the manager, and bought it from them.

I also got all the records from the dealer where it was maintained and there was nothing other then regular maintance etc..

now about 3 weeks after I took possession of it.. ive noticed a sqeaking sound from the sterring wheel.. usually in parking lot conditions, when sterring to reverse park, or forward park. where you are using alot of sterring input in either direction.

its not a grinding or growning sound.. I had that on other cars, and is the power steering pump dying..

this is coming from inside the car, directly from the wheel itself... it squeaks like a door..? if that can describe it..?

I unlocked the wheel, moved it in/out/up/down.. i did this when I first started to hear it, it seemed to be ok temporarily, but it obvioulsy came back..

it is F**cking annoying as hell..!

steering motion is not affected.. just that squeaking noice comes when doing a full turn to either side...? sometimes its there and sometimes its not..?

not the same car, but sort of like this..

Last edited by Drock28; 03-08-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

my car obviously doesnt have any warranty left..
but is this a defect, that would be fixed by dealer at no charge etc..?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

actually.. this video is more accurate...
as you can see there is some turning possible, before the squeak kicks in..

in the vidoe it says to lift hatch at bottom on drivers side with lubrication.

have others needed to do this..?

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
Drock28
Private First Class
Rep

well.. I was out driving today..
at the onset.. the squeaky noise is not there.. but after about 30mins of driving.. the noice surfaces, a low speeds, in parking lot setting..

went into a store.. came back out.. started driving.. initially noise was gone.. and then came back again..

the noise seems like its coming directly out of the steering wheel..
but when i got home, I put window down, and crouched down from outside, with my hand on the steering wheel.. and as I moved the wheel to make the noise, I could hear it equally from the outside..?

I dont think its the bushings, cause I know that sound when they go bad, from another car..

this is starting to really bather me!
Appreciate 0