E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Flashing a used DME to another car

06-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Flashing a used DME to another car

So I ran into an interesting problem today. I flashed a used DME to an m6 with Winkfp then I attempted to sync the cas with the DME in INPA which did not work. Then I tried the same thing in dis and it worked great. Car started right up. Later in the day I attempted the same procedure on a 2006 x3 and was not so fortunate. Flash went fine but DME-ews sync was unsuccessful. Does anybody know why this would work on one car but not another? Would ista work or do I need to do some soldering and direct chip programming? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks
So I ran into an interesting problem today. I flashed a used DME to an m6 with Winkfp then I attempted to sync the cas with the DME in INPA which did not work. Then I tried the same thing in dis and it worked great. Car started right up. Later in the day I attempted the same procedure on a 2006 x3 and was not so fortunate. Flash went fine but DME-ews sync was unsuccessful. Does anybody know why this would work on one car but not another? Would ista work or do I need to do some soldering and direct chip programming? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
How do you get access to playing with cars to that extent
      06-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

A local shop called me over because I had a craigslist ad for coding/programming. The owner was ecstatic when I got the M6 working because he really needed it done and after doing the M6 I figured an X3 would be a piece of cake. Turns out I was wrong. I wish they were my cars lol
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
pweber
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: M57 330D

So, I'm wondering how it works with M6?
I assume that you did replacement DME in DIS, yes it is possible but the chip is not writeable in DME module, right? I don't know how it is possible if DME ECU was used and not prepared before flashing through OBD port?

Last edited by pweber; 06-06-2013 at 03:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

I know, it's weird. After a ton of research it seems that what happened with the M6 was a fluke and should not have worked. For the X3 we attempted to flash the EEPROM with a dump from the original and it didn't work. I guess the rolling code list is stored in another chip on the DME. I just need to figure out which one that is and how to connect to it. I know this is doable, companies charge good money to virginize a DME and for that reason the information on how they do it is very hard to find. When I figure out how I will gladly post a DIY so others can do it. There is no reason why a $1200 DME should have to be trashed after the car is junked.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
pweber
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: M57 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks View Post
I know, it's weird. After a ton of research it seems that what happened with the M6 was a fluke and should not have worked. For the X3 we attempted to flash the EEPROM with a dump from the original and it didn't work. I guess the rolling code list is stored in another chip on the DME. I just need to figure out which one that is and how to connect to it. I know this is doable, companies charge good money to virginize a DME and for that reason the information on how they do it is very hard to find. When I figure out how I will gladly post a DIY so others can do it. There is no reason why a $1200 DME should have to be trashed after the car is junked.
That's great.
Yes, let us know if you will find out.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I still can't believe the M6 worked using a used Dme.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic
I still can't believe the M6 worked using a used Dme.
When I was going through the procedure in dis it said there is a chance a used DME may be able to sync with the cas but that chance is remote. Just got lucky I guess. The M6 DME syncs with cas but the x3 DME syncs with ews. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update: so we were able to get the used DME for the x3 working by using a program called xprom to copy the data from 3 chips in the original DME and writing the data to the same chips in the replacement DME. DIY and more info to follow. However, "virginizing" a used DME is still beyond my capabilities. I'm going to continue looking for where the rolling code list is actually stored so I can manipulate it. It may be that these companies who virginize DMEs just flash data from virgin DMEs from the factory. If that is the case I can see why they charge a good amount of money for it because new DMEs are not cheap. I'll keep you updated.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks
Update: so we were able to get the used DME for the x3 working by using a program called xprom to copy the data from 3 chips in the original DME and writing the data to the same chips in the replacement DME. DIY and more info to follow. However, "virginizing" a used DME is still beyond my capabilities. I'm going to continue looking for where the rolling code list is actually stored so I can manipulate it. It may be that these companies who virginize DMEs just flash data from virgin DMEs from the factory. If that is the case I can see why they charge a good amount of money for it because new DMEs are not cheap. I'll keep you updated.
Good work. Impressed!
And awaiting DIY.
      07-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #11
maisav
Registered
Rep
Drives: 523i

F10/F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks View Post
Awesome job, nate5ks.

Did you make experience with F10/F11 cars? Or do you know if this sw (xprom) works for fxx chassis?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Not sure, it was for a 2004 x3. The theory is essentially the same though but I don't have the Capital to go around and buy DMEs lol. Haven't figured out how to "virginize" one yet but essentially you could buy new ones and flash used ones with the new eeprom data. Nice way to get some business but you need startup capital to purchase the $1200 DMEs. I guess you could store the info in a .bin file and reference it to flash used DMEs and sell the new ones as unused to get most of your money back.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #13
JB4Jonnie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07N54JB4-DCI-DP-CP/BV-FMIC

I have a bad DME and am not trying to pay $1700 for a new one from BMW. I have seen online that it is definitely possible to use a used DME but I have no idea how to do it does anyone have any info on the process?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Ask someone with proper tools to do it
Thats not easy job
Appreciate 0