E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > squeaky noise at low speeds

10-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #45
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

This thread is f'ing epic. Allow me to summarize:

- we have a squeak/squeal in the front or rear tires
- it occurs on the right or left side only
- it is intermittent or steady
- it happens only when it is warm or when it is cold
- it is caused by:
  • brake pads
  • brake sensors
  • rotors
  • tires
  • strut
  • brake dust
  • e-brake
  • hard surfaces touching together and making noise
  • nothing, it's normal

That settles it then. I'm getting an M-Tech bumper.

Last edited by NGEE; 10-15-2014 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #46
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknXXX View Post
Do you still have this TSB available? I have the same issue in my 335i where when I am driving at low speeds the right side of my car squeaks until I pass 20 MPH.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanize View Post
Yeah bump, need this please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Crack View Post
yikes, i have this issue too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsultan View Post
Me three!
in on this crew
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #47
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Ditto. Annoying as fuck
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #48
F80Mmm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 M3 ZCP, 09 E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
in on this crew
not the ideal crew to be apart of, but I still love u guys
2009 BMW 335i 6MT/MHD Wedge Custom E60/VTT Inlets/VRSF DP's/VRSF 7" HD FMIC/Boost Concepts FPM-1 E85 Fuel Pump/BMS DCI/BMW PE/ER CP/Tial BOV/BMS OCC/RB PCV/19" Gunmetal Forgestar F14's Deep Concave/Michelin PS4S/Ohlins R&T Coilovers/Swift Springs/Spec Stg 2+/Icon Motorsports M3 Rep Front Bumper
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #49
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

My right front brake squeals very loudly, but only when all of the following apply:

Braking below 30mph
Applying the brakes normally (aggressive braking creates no squealing)
Car has been driven long enough for the rotors and pads to heat up
      10-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #50
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The right front wheel also gets grimier much more quickly than the other tires. I assume it's from brake dust.
      10-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #51
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

When I brought my car in for routine maintenance, I explained the issue in detail to my SA. When I got the car back, he said his techs checked to make sure everything was proper, and that it all checked out ok.

Which means it still squeals and my right front tire wheel gets dirty really quickly.
      10-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #52
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Updated broken link to Service Information Bulletin.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=25
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #53
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Updated broken link to Service Information Bulletin.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=25
note that this is only for squeak under light braking, not relevant to those of us with the "under 30 mph" rolling squeak
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 01:38 AM   #54
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
note that this is only for squeak under light braking, not relevant to those of us with the "under 30 mph" rolling squeak
This does pertain to the issue everyone is having. I had the same problem of squeaking without applying brakes at low speed and used this SIB to get it taken care of. Think you're reading too much into the terminology. Look at any SIB, they almost never describe the issue 100% accurately. But hey, if you don't think this SIB will help you get the issue resolved then by all means disregard.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 02:51 AM   #55
Some Asian Guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

I had the "squeaking from 0 - 20mph when brakes are warmed up" problem too. Except mine was coming from the drivers side rear. When I asked the SA about it at the dealer, he acted like he'd never heard of this problem before. He wouldn't change the brakes under the maintenance agreement because the idrive still showed about 22000 miles to go. So instead of fighting it, and knowing I can't wear those pads out before the end of the year, I decided to change them myself. I got Akebono ceramic pads, ACDelco pro 18A2520 brake rotors, and a new URO pad sensor, all for about $140. It's been 1000 miles of sqeak free driving for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #56
seanay12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe E92

So I had my brakes flushed today and prior to this I had a tiny squeal coming from the driver side not sue which wheel, but only when goin up an incline like my driveway but brakes never squealed. After flush immediately started to notice the squeal now while cruising under 20 intermittently and brakes constantly squeal. I think it's the same wheel. Anyone know what is causing this and whether the tech may have done something stupid while flushing. They readily agreed to fix it but they have no idea what the issue could be either so I want to be able to take it in tell them what or where to look for.

I personally think the tech may have improperly touched the sensor on one of the wheels while doing the flush but any insight would be great. I know it wasn't squealing before the flush and they know it too and admitted it. It's pretty annoying sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #57
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Seems to happen more frequently and louder when I've driven for awhile on the highway... maybe heat related?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:56 AM   #58
M.Power
Գեվոջանյան
Rep
Drives: 2022 LP650 Urus/2023 F93 M8

Thread revival. Having the same issue, squeaking from the passenger rear while driving on 1-3 gear and over bumps. It happens on and off but I do have it happening more often then not, and it's gotten worse since upgrading my wheels. I took it to an indy shop and they told me the wheels bearing was put on lose and thats the reason why it squeaks, but I had this issue long before fixing my bearing. I can't seem to figure it out and it's pissing me the f*ck off. Everything works beautifully and that squeak really kills it for me, I need to get it fixed! Help! Lol, sorry for the rant.
      10-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #59
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
This does pertain to the issue everyone is having. I had the same problem of squeaking without applying brakes at low speed and used this SIB to get it taken care of. Think you're reading too much into the terminology. Look at any SIB, they almost never describe the issue 100% accurately. But hey, if you don't think this SIB will help you get the issue resolved then by all means disregard.
Why would a brake compound cause squeaking when the brake pedal isn't depressed?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 03:59 AM   #60
lomon98
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i Sport + Edition

I started getting this noise at low speeds recently ( all four rotors and brake pads have been changed 1 month ago). It is weird, might be the sensor then? Maybe I will just clean my rotors with some kind of brake spray cleaner or smth...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 07:19 AM   #61
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

I had a lot of squeaks and I've addressed all but 1, that I can't find. I have a convetible, though.. so that adds a whole 'nother set of variables.

I will say that replacing the e-brake, rear brake pads, and rotors (and greasing everything properly) really improved the sound, feel, and brake performance. The little bumps on the heat shield were squeaking on my car.

I didn't do anything with the front brakes, other than bleed them. I used stop-tech pads/rotors, which I have liked on several cars.

These may have been the original brakes for all I know. It's a 2009. I had my wheels re-finished so I had a good opportunity to clean and paint everything too. (flat black, nothing special) Also, I don't like the super-tight 4 click E-brake everyone else seems to recommend.. so I went a couple more.. because it's not free-spinning when that tight. I like it free, baby! But also why are there 15+ clicks and we only want to use the bottom 4th of that? Anyway, you get the preference when you do your own e-brake.

My e-brake operates so much better now. It holds better and makes no noise.

All that said, I'm down to 1 squeak. It's a rattle-squeak type thing.. it's squeaks at the same frequency as the cowl shake that reverberates through the car. My car has new shocks/struts all around and it wallows more than I'd like as well... like the back is sloppy feeling... and it makes me think the subframe bolts are loose or something. It's never as catastrophic as I think when it comes to cars.. and this car seems more of a cruiser than a sports car in convertible form... it's just flexy.

It sounds like the squeak is coming from the rear somewhere; like under the back seats.. and it sounds metal-on-metal. It's not the top/hinges/cables/etc. I just need to spend some time under the car and trying to make it squeak.. which is difficult. It only does it while driving and offset light undulations in the road really get it squeakin'. It's like chassis flex makes the squeaks. I'm wondering if it's control arm bushings.. sigh.

Anyway, just wanted to add that changing rear brakes, and e-brakes, and greasing those little bumps was a great choice for me... and removed some of the squeaking from this car.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2023, 07:51 AM   #62
lomon98
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlman3 View Post
I had a lot of squeaks and I've addressed all but 1, that I can't find. I have a convetible, though.. so that adds a whole 'nother set of variables.

I will say that replacing the e-brake, rear brake pads, and rotors (and greasing everything properly) really improved the sound, feel, and brake performance. The little bumps on the heat shield were squeaking on my car.

I didn't do anything with the front brakes, other than bleed them. I used stop-tech pads/rotors, which I have liked on several cars.

These may have been the original brakes for all I know. It's a 2009. I had my wheels re-finished so I had a good opportunity to clean and paint everything too. (flat black, nothing special) Also, I don't like the super-tight 4 click E-brake everyone else seems to recommend.. so I went a couple more.. because it's not free-spinning when that tight. I like it free, baby! But also why are there 15+ clicks and we only want to use the bottom 4th of that? Anyway, you get the preference when you do your own e-brake.

My e-brake operates so much better now. It holds better and makes no noise.

All that said, I'm down to 1 squeak. It's a rattle-squeak type thing.. it's squeaks at the same frequency as the cowl shake that reverberates through the car. My car has new shocks/struts all around and it wallows more than I'd like as well... like the back is sloppy feeling... and it makes me think the subframe bolts are loose or something. It's never as catastrophic as I think when it comes to cars.. and this car seems more of a cruiser than a sports car in convertible form... it's just flexy.

It sounds like the squeak is coming from the rear somewhere; like under the back seats.. and it sounds metal-on-metal. It's not the top/hinges/cables/etc. I just need to spend some time under the car and trying to make it squeak.. which is difficult. It only does it while driving and offset light undulations in the road really get it squeakin'. It's like chassis flex makes the squeaks. I'm wondering if it's control arm bushings.. sigh.

Anyway, just wanted to add that changing rear brakes, and e-brakes, and greasing those little bumps was a great choice for me... and removed some of the squeaking from this car.
yeah thanks for the insight! In my case I am guessing it has to do with the front brakes as the front wheels have been getting quite dirty with brake dust lately... This seems to be a really common problem but I just find it annoying and inexplicable that it happens with brand new bmw discs and new pads...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 02:40 AM   #63
lomon98
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomon98 View Post
yeah thanks for the insight! In my case I am guessing it has to do with the front brakes as the front wheels have been getting quite dirty with brake dust lately... This seems to be a really common problem but I just find it annoying and inexplicable that it happens with brand new bmw discs and new pads...
Update: so it seems it comes from the front wheel passenger side, and only comes up when the brakes have heated up and while steering towards the right... weird thing, I actually changed the bearing on that wheel 2 months ago but I don't think it is the bearing as 1) it was replaced 2 months ago 2) only happens once the car has warmed up...

again, might be the front passenger pad's sensor? I am hoping... really annoying sound, sounds like a rusty bicycle at this point
Appreciate 0