E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Clicking noise from differential area

04-25-2022, 02:36 PM   #67
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerain View Post
Had a look at it today, with the 335i the end of the driveshaft has a knuckle with ball bearings. This was completely detoriating, grease coming out and a lot of play in it. Replacing it with a 50k miles driveshaft cured all of my clunking and vibrations...
Hmm I wonder if this is my issue..

Driving for me seems normal although downshifting in DS mode right before coming to a stop can sometimes feel a little clunky.

Should shifting from park - drive - reverse always feel smooth? I get a little thud always just assumed it was normal cause its a sport package things arnt going to be the smoothest.

But my real concern in being in manual mode gear 1 and driving at very low speeds(like gas station parking lot speed), as i tap the throttle on and off i feel a thud in the driveline ssomewhere, its not very loud at all, but i can feel it in the car and curious if that is normal?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #68
NiBe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 & E92

Just to confirm that this worked for me. Thanks! I was hearing metallic clunk (cowbel) when load on propeller shaft was changing. For example when you start reversing, pull of, braking with engine, etc. I used grease. In my opinion the sound goes from the propeller shaft. When the diff flange shifts in the differential under load (there is a play) the metal to metal hit is amplified through the propeller shaft practically serving as a sound device. Like when you hit a metal rod with metal.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 07:58 PM   #69
Marcelo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 325i E90

It works! I follow vedolino's instructions and solve the problem, you don't need to replace the drive shaft or differential, you just need apply Loctite 660 as he showed in the pictures, the click noise is gone!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 08:03 PM   #70
HP_e92
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
It works! I follow vedolino's instructions and solve the problem, you don't need to replace the drive shaft or differential, you just need apply Loctite 660 as he showed in the pictures, the click noise is gone!
I'm glad it's resolved but loctite is overkill, just needed lub as indicated in this post.
Cheers
Appreciate 0