E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Questions about rent a car in Canada. Plz help!!!!!

12-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 323I.

Questions about rent a car in Canada. Plz help!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Long story in short,
I am a new graduated student from SMU in Halifax NS, so my parents plan to come to Canada to attend my graduation. Well, I am gonna rent a suv and drive to Toronto to pick them up.

And then, we are gonna travel thought the Atlantic Canada (ON-QC-NB-NS).

I know that if i am under 25 i would be able to rent a standard size suv like a ford edge or jeep Cherokee. The only suvs that im able to rent is the intermediate size suv like a ford escape

Today, I went to budget car rental with my costco membershio card, (with the card i dot need to pay the underage fee) I want to rent a ford escape, and show the representative my membership card then told him that im underage 25. However, all the intermediate size suvs are booked out at this time, he asked me if i could switch to a jeep cherokee (a standard size suv), but he did not mention that under age 25 can not rent a jeep. and he made this reservation for me.

Therefore, my question is on the time when i pick up the car. im gonna give my drives license and credit card to them. when they find out that im under age 25. would they still give me the rental car to me? if not. do i get any car from them???

plz help me. this is very important to me. thank you.

PS, since my car is rwd.. it is too risky to drive my little bimmer to a long trip.

Thank you very much!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
PepE92M3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3

They may still let your rent the car but the rate might be higher.
Just a suggestion, if they are coming this winter I think flying
is safer.

Retired: 12 E82 135i, 11 E88 128i, 05 E46 M3, 07 E92 328i, 07 X3 3.0is, 88 E30 325i, 84 E30 318i

Last edited by PepE92M3; 12-18-2012 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Kalidian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

^. If they give you trouble just argue/explain that you notified that you were underage when they booked the reservation but they bumped up your vehicle class because they were out of cars.

In my experience with renting vehicles they'll usually honour the reservation.

But worst case is you'll end up paying an increased rate - they won't flat out refuse to rent you the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidian
^. If they give you trouble just argue/explain that you notified that you were underage when they booked the reservation but they bumped up your vehicle class because they were out of cars.

But worst case is you'll end up paying an increased rate - they won't flat out refuse to rent you the car.
I agree with this and based on a customer service point they should honour it.

Also, from an insurance standpoint make sure you do not sign more than a 30 day contract. If you need more time sign a new one. I say this because if you're likely to become "deemed" and "insured" under their policy and much more headaches if anything happens.

Just an FYI anyways....
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepep View Post
They may still let your rent the car but the rate might be higher.
Just a suggestion, if you they are coming this winter I think flying
is safer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
I agree with this and based on a customer service point they should honour it.

Also, from an insurance standpoint make sure you do not sign more than a 30 day contract. If you need more time sign a new one. I say this because if you're likely to become "deemed" and "insured" under their policy and much more headaches if anything happens.

Just an FYI anyways....
Thank you for all of you. but i dot understand why the rent would be increase since they already give me a rate.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
People say a lot of things, but once you show up at the office the story usually changes. The only way you can be honored anything is if you remember the persons name and get some sort of reference number.

Or, they can charge you the underage rate (because they have to) and discount the vehicle somewhat to get the costs in line of what you previously discussed.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
People say a lot of things, but once you show up at the office the story usually changes. The only way you can be honored anything is if you remember the persons name and get some sort of reference number.

Or, they can charge you the underage rate (because they have to) and discount the vehicle somewhat to get the costs in line of what you previously discussed.
In my case, The representative already charged me, and I have a booking reference number, would that be a different story?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
techy1
Captain
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I rent cars all the time and don't pay any extra for being under 25. I usually use hotwire to book my cars though. I don't need their insurance as I have my own and it covers rental. maybe look into that.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Do you work? When I was under 25, I used the company discount to book and they gave me the rate that our company has which is still cheaper.

On that note, RWD is actually safer on highways than SUV's contrary to what most people think. If you're about to lose control, you'll feel it. With an SUV, when you lose control, you go into an unstable spin. The safest way though is to fly or even consider taking Via Rail which would be really relaxing and give you some nice quality time with your parents.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy1 View Post
I rent cars all the time and don't pay any extra for being under 25. I usually use hotwire to book my cars though. I don't need their insurance as I have my own and it covers rental. maybe look into that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Do you work? When I was under 25, I used the company discount to book and they gave me the rate that our company has which is still cheaper.

On that note, RWD is actually safer on highways than SUV's contrary to what most people think. If you're about to lose control, you'll feel it. With an SUV, when you lose control, you go into an unstable spin. The safest way though is to fly or even consider taking Via Rail which would be really relaxing and give you some nice quality time with your parents.
Thank you for all of u.
Appreciate 0