E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > N54 3 series 100k blues /Gotcha's

03-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #1
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slay

N54 3 series 100k blues /Gotcha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
I don't understand how N54 upkeep puts you in the range of an M3? Brand new refurbished turbos are like $800 each, all new injectors are around the same. That plus plugs and coils and you should be good for another 100k. I guess if you pay to have someone do all the work then it puts you in S65 territory...barely...and what is the chance you need to do all of that all at once?

I still keep thinking about picking one up. $4-5k on a used SC, 550whp. Track ready...and it's an M3. 4L V8 screaming to 8400 rpms is pretty sweet.

I do agree if you want pure power the N54 really looks like the way to go seeing as how they are holding together at such high power outputs.

Oh look, we've made an M3 discussion out of a for sale thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
My list of expenses says there's a bit more than that...

Plus, you forget the awful suspension we get as standard and RFT tires that need to go.

Sorry for derailing this. GLWS.

Didn't want to take over the FS thread!

My friend is a 10 yr tech at a dealer and he does all my work after hours and parts at cost. So I've really had a hook up, but it has gone to the point where I took his suggestion in getting an M to offset the costs of upkeep. I've also envied the DCT transmission and V8 for so long, I figured I'd take the plunge. M3 has its own problems, throttle actuator, pricey brakes and struts, but it seemed he worked on n54's all day long and the M's that came in were for regular schedule services.

Figured it would be a nice thread to start for anyone 100k+ and out of warranty.

Around 100k I started getting almost monthly issues with the car. I found myself texting my friend with symptoms, codes, and see what I needed done/parts.
Note, I bought the car with 75k and it was running fine when I got it other than a much needed alignment and plugs. Went FBO the following week of purchasing it.
Drove it on a road trip up to Upstate NY, up to Toronto, down Montreal, NYC, back to boston. Held like a champ. Other than a few tanks of ethanol mix map in the summer, it was never tracked, barely red lined.

Here's my blues list.

Water pump, $400- this was my cost, it should cost way more. (replaced with 1M, at the time. But I believe now it's the same PN)

Plugs and Coils, I've gone through 4 sets of plugs, 6xplugs/coils = $400

Carbon cleaning, $400-800? -mine was free

Injectors, $1200. Replace them with simlar index, or if they are the newest indexes, you'll have to replace them by banks (3x) and get them coded.

2x Post o2 Sensors, $600. You can try the bosch universal ones, I've had 50/50 luck with these.

Fuel Pump, $??

BUSHINGS BUSHINGS BUSHINGS, very overlooked.. can get expensive as some needed to be pressed, chances are you will need to buy a whole control arm or a larger piece unless you pay extra labor. Just the parts at bmw cost was $800. Wherever possible, replace with M bushings, they are hardier.

Blower motor, $? My friend suggested I spray lube it. Known whine noise with these.

Head light levelers, they get beat up from stiff suspension or pot holes. They aim down. Headlight adjustment Module starts going as well from getting wet, $800+.

Front cabin filter cover, it will eventually wear and strip. either from you or someone working on your car. $350 or upgrade to M cowl

Battery, $250 + coding

Valve Cover Gasket, not that costly, but labor intensive

Turbo's, $800/each mind as well get vargas or aftermarket for 2k
but then you'll have to worry about your clutch or AT not shifting right lol.
Labor intensive, altho my friend said it can be done way shorter than what they advertise.
Luckily the turbos were replaced underwarranty before i purchased the car, however one of the gaskets were not seated properly so it had a slight oil leak. Tech friend identified the issue, suggested I don't fix it until I replace the turbos. Pointless as car was fine, just a smell of oil every now and then.

I didn't include brakes/struts as I had them all replaced the week I bought the car.

You prob won't have these all happen on the same day or week or month, but it will all start hitting you in succession!

Love the N54, definitely will be the next supra engine in a few years. When aftermarket prices drop a bit more for the maintenance parts, I definitely want another!

Anyone else want to share their blues
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Only maintenance I had to do was injectors and a battery on the e90 oh and plugs and one coil. I'm also an idiot and replaced all the injectors when I could of just done one or one bank. Good news is I have 5 used injectors now so when one goes bad I can swap them out on the E92. owned the E90 two years for 30k miles. The E92 I have owned 1.5 years and done zero maintenance but only 10k miles. For a combined 40k miles they have not costed much in maintenance. Obviously YMMV.

An M3 is easily 10k more than an N54 powered E92 and higher insurance. Lowest I see them going is 32k and without a DCT. http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=284

Don't get me wrong I want an m3 and may buy one but I don't think the maintenance is close to the cost of an m3.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep

Bro you were def on point replacing all six tho. I would hate to replace one or a bank and then have the others fail and go through the process all over again haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Sean978
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT SGM

I picked up my 2007 in june 2013 for $13,995 ... As far as equipment failures?

6 Coils - 240$
6 Plugs - 80$ (NGK 5992)
1 Water pump 500$ for kit including thermostat and coolant + aluminum bolts
1 Thermostat
1 DME Failure - 160$ (2 hours labor)
1 OFHG - 100$
1 Serp Belt - 40$

I'm obviously not counting normal wear and tear shit like brakes, tires, a wheel bearing or two.. that would be replaced on any car anyway.

I dont expect to have problems with anything (coils and plugs aside) for the next 30-40k which will get me through the next 2-3 years easily. Even if I replace all 6 coils and plugs every year there still isn't much to complain about as far as maintenance costs. If you dont hammer your car 24/7 you shouldn't have too much to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
Natef53
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 M3

I am getting rid of my first 2007 e92 335i tomorrow and picking up another 2007 e92 335i.

As I start typing this out I realize how crazy it is going to sound that I am willing to pick up another...

1 coil + 6 plugs at dealership - 600 NEVER AGAIN
6 Coils - 250
6 Plugs - 70
Water pump + labor - 1000
Battery + coding - 250
3 injectors (self coded) - 450
walnut blasting + oil filter housing gaskets - 500
transmission pan + gaskets 700
brakes + pads ~600 self installed
serpentine belt + pulleys - 100

I bought the car @ 85k and am trading it in with 110k. Drove about 25k miles in 1.5 years. I was lucky that some of the jobs were covered by a 3rd party warranty but for the short amount of time I owned the car I feel like I put a lot of money into it.

You can add to the list of things that needed to be done this spring:
rear suspension leaking ~ 1000
diagnose issue of squealing when quickly lifting off throttle after WOT (clutch overrun?) - who knows

A side note, I probably could have skipped the walnut blasting, injectors, coils and plugs as those issues were only present when running the JB4.

At the end of the day all cars have issues when they get older and when you try to push them beyond their factory settings.

New car is a 2007 e92 335i with 50k miles on it. Hopefully I won't have to deal with the same issues again but the car is worth it. Puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it, regardless of its issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natef53 View Post
I am getting rid of my first 2007 e92 335i tomorrow and picking up another 2007 e92 335i.

As I start typing this out I realize how crazy it is going to sound that I am willing to pick up another...

1 coil + 6 plugs at dealership - 600 NEVER AGAIN
6 Coils - 250
6 Plugs - 70
Water pump + labor - 1000
Battery + coding - 250
3 injectors (self coded) - 450
walnut blasting + oil filter housing gaskets - 500
transmission pan + gaskets 700
brakes + pads ~600 self installed
serpentine belt + pulleys - 100

I bought the car @ 85k and am trading it in with 110k. Drove about 25k miles in 1.5 years. I was lucky that some of the jobs were covered by a 3rd party warranty but for the short amount of time I owned the car I feel like I put a lot of money into it.

You can add to the list of things that needed to be done this spring:
rear suspension leaking ~ 1000
diagnose issue of squealing when quickly lifting off throttle after WOT (clutch overrun?) - who knows

A side note, I probably could have skipped the walnut blasting, injectors, coils and plugs as those issues were only present when running the JB4.

At the end of the day all cars have issues when they get older and when you try to push them beyond their factory settings.

New car is a 2007 e92 335i with 50k miles on it. Hopefully I won't have to deal with the same issues again but the car is worth it. Puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it, regardless of its issues.

so the only difference is the miles? fwiw alot of what you listed is basically wear and tear items. The maintenance on these cars kind of sucks but no other platform offers the power and luxury at close to the same cost...at least that is how I justify it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Bought in '13 with 50k, now with 83k.

Already done:
Wastegate Rattle (covered with new Turbos)
Water Pump (fun)
Carbon Cleaning (discounted when done with engine out for WG rattle)
Rear Struts
Spark Plugs (about to install second set)
Taillight Issue (went to LCIs)

Next:
Valve Cover Gasket (pretty sure I'm leaking a bit there)
Coils (misfire under WOT)
Battery (won't last a couple of minutes on ACC)
Tensioner / Belts (noise)
Bushings (going with Whiteline Inserts)

Afraid of:
Injectors
DME issue with early 07s
Belt shredding

I would've gone with the M if I knew all of these potential issues. Provided I did buy an early build 07, which was dumb. My insurance cost for an M3 would've offset some of these expenses. I'm not huge on power, and would've rather had the high revving NA motor with all of the suspension and LSD up to par already.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Natef53
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 M3

Quote:
so the only difference is the miles? fwiw alot of what you listed is basically wear and tear items. The maintenance on these cars kind of sucks but no other platform offers the power and luxury at close to the same cost...at least that is how I justify it.
I agree that it was mostly wear and tear, just a lot of it all at once. The reason I am sticking with the platform is exactly that, I cannot think of another car that provides the power and "luxury" for the price.

The car is essentially the same.

I am losing the premium package I think (power mirrors, PDC)
Gaining (I guess) navigation + aero front lip

Moving from Montego Blue to Titanium Silver
Moving from Saddle Brown sport to Coral Red sport.

I really liked the Blue / Saddle combo but the Titanium / Coral is growing on me.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #9
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
I would've gone with the M if I knew all of these potential issues. Provided I did buy an early build 07, which was dumb. My insurance cost for an M3 would've offset some of these expenses. I'm not huge on power, and would've rather had the high revving NA motor with all of the suspension and LSD up to par already.
fwiw all the issues are well documented in a bajillion threads.

Now you know you know why I was thinking of getting one a few months ago and selling the E92.

FWIW maintenance on the M3 E9x is considerably higher when something does break. Mods are much more expensive.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106486 <--that is a pretty awesome power band.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106042 <--not a bad M3 and a good price.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/cto/4945909847.html

Last edited by Torgus; 03-25-2015 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Agreed! If you want the luxury without the power, get a G37 lol

Quote:
fwiw all the issues are well documented in a bajillion threads.

Now you know you know why I was thinking of getting one a few months ago and selling the E92.

FWIW maintenance on the M3 E9x is considerably higher when something does break. Mods are much more expensive.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106486 <--that is a pretty awesome power band.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106042 <--not a bad M3 and a good price.

I saw that e93, not a bad deal. ok price though. There are plenty of 08's in the mid/high 20's.

There was a white E90 09 M3 with 100k sold for 21k on Ebay.

There's a few more M's 08 hovering around 26-28 right now.

Hell there's a 2010(?) white e90 M3 in Texas Nav red interior, for 15k.. the catch.. 200k miles. Dunno how I'd feel driving that one back LOL
edit- it's a 08 my bad. been creeping too many ads.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...96177256&Log=0
Tempted to buy it and drive it to the ground. and.... keep it forever. lol

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...61788356&Log=0
This one's been up for months, he originally started at higher 30's. I guess no one wants a hulk m3 lol.

Went to see a e92 09 for 26.5 last weekend. only bad was no DCT (6spd). But someone put a deposit that morning

If I picked up a M3 a few months ago they would've been a little cheaper. Prices are going up due to demand I guess.. nice weather.

A good plan would be to pick up a 08 for cheap, retro a CIC for 2k in montreal. That would offset the rape you will prob pay at the RMV to register the car. They will tax you on NADA clean trade in! between 2-3k in taxes!

As long as you find one that has had the throttle actuator done, everything else should last for a while. (suggested by my 10 yr bmw tech, only dude that works on my bmw)

Quote:
Bought in '13 with 50k, now with 83k.

Already done:
Wastegate Rattle (covered with new Turbos)
Water Pump (fun)
Carbon Cleaning (discounted when done with engine out for WG rattle)
Rear Struts
Spark Plugs (about to install second set)
Taillight Issue (went to LCIs)

Next:
Valve Cover Gasket (pretty sure I'm leaking a bit there)
Coils (misfire under WOT)
Battery (won't last a couple of minutes on ACC)
Tensioner / Belts (noise)
Bushings (going with Whiteline Inserts)

Afraid of:
Injectors
DME issue with early 07s
Belt shredding

When you pulled your plugs, did you see any oil on the tips? that's usually a sign of valve gasket.. They foul plugs pretty quick.

If the plugs didn't fix your WOT misfire, it's going to be coils. Cheap fix, bosch oem coils are about 30 a piece online.
How's it idle on a cold morning start? If it pops, it's injectors. - I have 3 more left if you need a few
Battery is $$, but that's with all e9x. Can't get away from that one.

The Walnut blast did amazing things to the smoothness of the car. I did it at 80k.
Suspension can add up.. Bushings go quicker on the regular 3's. Don't replace those with normal 3 bushings.

taillight issue is common for these e9x, even m3's. I had issues with my left tail bulb for a while. Would need to replace the bulb almost every week. Then it just went away, good for almost a year.

I wouldn't worry too much about the DME. I haven't heard of many of those going. But you make you sound like a ticking time bomb

What was your increase in insurance? I just got quoted and it wasn't much at all. That's going from a sedan ($80/month full coverage, $500 deduct.) and getting quoted for a e92 m. (cheapest was ~$117/month full coverage, $500 deduct. may go up or down depending on year though)

Last edited by Down_Shift; 03-25-2015 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Seriously, and to think at one time that was the car I wanted to buy and I thought it was the best on the market for what it was. They are slow even with mods which are overly expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #12
Hadley
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Haha I drive a g37s on the weekends

It's nice for what it is but doesn't compare to the bimmer
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #13
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
Quote:
Seriously, and to think at one time that was the car I wanted to buy and I thought it was the best on the market for what it was. They are slow even with mods which are overly expensive.
Owned a g35 6spd.
Built motor twin turbo. 600hp. Spun tires at 60 in up to 5 fifth gear on the highway. 295 tires.

Not ever doing that to a car every again. The more you mod it the more shit breaks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #14
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Owned a g35 6spd.
Built motor twin turbo. 600hp. Spun tires at 60 in up to 5 fifth gear on the highway. 295 tires.

Not ever doing that to a car every again. The more you mod it the more shit breaks.
Amazing you can get the same power out of stock frame twins on this engine no? Granted they are being pushed hard but it's amazing none the less.

VQs would have been a lot more awesome if they didn't have to be built above 400whp. NA they are kinda blah. The older VQs were the shit though! 190hp DOHC v6 in 1992 was bad ass.

Pictures of your G whip?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #15
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Before u dealing with the price u have to see the car first ! So u know it work with the money!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #16
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
Quote:
Owned a g35 6spd.

Amazing you can get the same power out of stock frame twins on this engine no? Granted they are being pushed hard but it's amazing none the less.

VQs would have been a lot more awesome if they didn't have to be built above 400whp. NA they are kinda blah. The older VQs were the shit though! 190hp DOHC v6 in 1992 was bad ass.

Pictures of your G whip?
I single turbo'do it at 8000 miles ~360-380hp. Then wanted more power so did a built motor and TT with twin car in clutch 1000cc injectors. Dual wastegate dumps.
Took HIN one year also. 2006?
Built motor has oil consumption issues from forged pistons. Basically made it super annoying to drive much other than to car stuff. I drove it single turbo as a daily for a while.
Here's a vid at one of the last Dyno days it went to. Couldn't keep it on the Dyno. Had to get people to sit in the trunk. Last Dyno was 640 something on DJ. Dent sport mustang Dyno I think it was 570 something upon break in.

Went from that To a 400hp Sti. Missed the comforts and got into a bmw. Loving the bmw.
Started out in Hondas like most people.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #17
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Quote:
When you pulled your plugs, did you see any oil on the tips? that's usually a sign of valve gasket.. They foul plugs pretty quick.

If the plugs didn't fix your WOT misfire, it's going to be coils. Cheap fix, bosch oem coils are about 30 a piece online.
How's it idle on a cold morning start? If it pops, it's injectors. - I have 3 more left if you need a few
Battery is $$, but that's with all e9x. Can't get away from that one.

The Walnut blast did amazing things to the smoothness of the car. I did it at 80k.
Suspension can add up.. Bushings go quicker on the regular 3's. Don't replace those with normal 3 bushings.

taillight issue is common for these e9x, even m3's. I had issues with my left tail bulb for a while. Would need to replace the bulb almost every week. Then it just went away, good for almost a year.

I wouldn't worry too much about the DME. I haven't heard of many of those going. But you make you sound like a ticking time bomb

What was your increase in insurance? I just got quoted and it wasn't much at all. That's going from a sedan ($80/month full coverage, $500 deduct.) and getting quoted for a e92 m. (cheapest was ~$117/month full coverage, $500 deduct. may go up or down depending on year though)
My insurance is HIGH. I don't really want to compare haha. I pay enough for a damn 335. Let's just say I should have a 2013 M3 with the total I'm paying.

The plugs were last done when the motor was pulled for the turbos, same with carbon cleaning. I'll be ordering new coils and doing them with new spark plugs in the next week or so. It's been about 20k since the last time.

Battery is just a battery (shut up Torgus), but I can't get away with dirt cheap Autozone batteries anymore like in the Nissan world.

Taillight issue was just an annoyance, and an excuse for a forced upgrade that all pre-LCI E92s should do anyways. Favorite mod in terms of appearance IMO.

DME issues are rare, but like you said the more you mod, the more that can go wrong. And it has happened to more than a handful of people, so it's looming in the back of my mind.

Quote:
Owned a g35 6spd.

More pics. I miss the VQ world, minus the oil burning.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #18
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My insurance is HIGH. I don't really want to compare haha. I pay enough for a damn 335. Let's just say I should have a 2013 M3 with the total I'm paying.

The plugs were last done when the motor was pulled for the turbos, same with carbon cleaning. I'll be ordering new coils and doing them with new spark plugs in the next week or so. It's been about 20k since the last time.

Battery is just a battery (shut up Torgus), but I can't get away with dirt cheap Autozone batteries anymore like in the Nissan world.

Taillight issue was just an annoyance, and an excuse for a forced upgrade that all pre-LCI E92s should do anyways. Favorite mod in terms of appearance IMO.

DME issues are rare, but like you said the more you mod, the more that can go wrong. And it has happened to more than a handful of people, so it's looming in the back of my mind.

More pics. I miss the VQ world, minus the oil burning.
in the National Guard booth at HIN last time I did HIN.

Final pic the day before it was picked up by a hydraulic lift enclosed transport. (sold with different front bumper, went through 4 bumpers, 1 rear, 2 side skirts lol)

anyone see this one?
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/4948093323.html
got him to reason with 26k, except I just looked at the pics again today and it doesn't have Idrive. Deal breaker!!!
Competition package on a e90 is super rare tho? I didn't even know they had that option!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #19
R8TD-M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
E90 328Xi  [0.00]
E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
1997 Toyota 4Runner  [0.00]
Lot of mentioning of the increased insurance rates for M3s... well, mine went up 38 bucks per month upon moving insurance from my 335 to the M3. Not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. I would put my driving record up against anyone on here for total # of violations. Zero accidents, zero DUIs, but yeah, more speeding tickets than i care to mention. Luckily, progressive and geico run 3 year look backs, during which time my record is 100% clean.... Being in my early 20s with an M3 and a Kawi 636R did a lot of damage back in the day... Older and wiser now!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #20
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603N54 View Post
Lot of mentioning of the increased insurance rates for M3s... well, mine went up 38 bucks per month upon moving insurance from my 335 to the M3. Not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. I would put my driving record up against anyone on here for total # of violations. Zero accidents, zero DUIs, but yeah, more speeding tickets than i care to mention. Luckily, progressive and geico run 3 year look backs, during which time my record is 100% clean.... Being in my early 20s with an M3 and a Kawi 636R did a lot of damage back in the day... Older and wiser now!
I'm looking at shopping around again to see if I can get a lower rate.
I'm paying $80 a month for the 335 and another set of plates that currently have no car. Seeing if I can offset the cost of the M3 increase.
Currently with Commerce, I've heard good things bout Liberty.. will also try the ones you just posted.
Appreciate 0