E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > could the OFHG cause this????

12-29-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
46m3csl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

could the OFHG cause this????

Had the oil fliter housing gasket done about a month ago, along with oil cooler gaskeg and o rings, today my thermostat to head hose started leaking and went to check the coolant found out theirs this sludge on the coolant keep would of never noticed if the hose didnt leak. So is it possbile some how the job was not done correctly or a defect gasket could cause the oil to mix with coolant internal? and yes the head and head gasket are fine had them tested
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

where are you seeing the sludge? at the coolant reservoir?

I just replaced that same hose due to O ring failure (hose was fine) and had quite a mess all down the front of the motor...no fun cleaning all those recesses...

OFHG will get oil on everything if it goes long enough. oil can mix with a leaky coolant hose right up to the o ring...as it gets inside the housing, but from what I see, not past the o ring .

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
029s
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Your ofh gasket seal both coolant and oil passages. When your gasket fails it can allow oil to get into your coolant. More than likely, oil had been leaking into your coolant for awhile before you had the gasket replaced. It is also possible the new gasket didn't seal and has allowed the contamination post gasket replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Yes it can, the OFHG is not properly installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
46m3csl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
where are you seeing the sludge? at the coolant reservoir?

I just replaced that same hose due to O ring failure (hose was fine) and had quite a mess all down the front of the motor...no fun cleaning all those recesses...

OFHG will get oil on everything if it goes long enough. oil can mix with a leaky coolant hose right up to the o ring...as it gets inside the housing, but from what I see, not past the o ring .

JP
yes I saw the sludge in the coolant reservoir pee size amount hasnt come back yet though. How hard was it to change that house, did you have to remove the thermostat was a full lifted need or is it possible to do on jack stands
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
46m3csl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 029s View Post
Your ofh gasket seal both coolant and oil passages. When your gasket fails it can allow oil to get into your coolant. More than likely, oil had been leaking into your coolant for awhile before you had the gasket replaced. It is also possible the new gasket didn't seal and has allowed the contamination post gasket replacement.
True could be, but we did a full coolant and oil flush when the OFHG was done I ll keep an eye out and keep you guys updated
Appreciate 0