E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Why isn't there turbo back exhausts?

11-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 N54

Why isn't there turbo back exhausts?

Just like my title says why isn't there any turbo back exhausts for the n54 twin turbo. Can some of the veterans shed some light on that for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Pick any downpipe and exhaust combo and you have one.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Well it would be more of a pita to install than a cat back exhaust. and you'd most likely have two sections connect where the down pipes connect to the exhaust are anyways. So catless downpipes with a cat back exhaust are essentially the same thing I'd think.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Pick any downpipe and exhaust combo and you have one.
Why not just have one long 2.5" pipe which connects to each turbo. Better fitment than the 3 inch because your basically taking the idea from the stock exhaust and just making it your one purchase instead of 400$ on dps and 700$ on a catback. Easier to uninstall for dealer purposes IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
blaster3500
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptJoe732 View Post
Why not just have one long 2.5" pipe which connects to each turbo. Better fitment than the 3 inch because your basically taking the idea from the stock exhaust and just making it your one purchase instead of 400$ on dps and 700$ on a catback. Easier to uninstall for dealer purposes IMO.
You must have never installed downpipes on an n54. They have to be separate from the exhaust or you could never install/remove them. It is just like buying headers then a full exhaust. They do not come together
      11-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster3500
Quote:
You must have never installed downpipes on an n54. They have to be separate from the exhaust or you could never install/remove them. It is just like buying headers then a full exhaust. They do not come together
Don't say never, you have a 3" after market down pipe which goes to your catback. Why not fab up an exhaust for each turbo. It's doable why doesn't anyone do it?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I get the whole fitment issues but your making more clearance room all around.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Sean335i
New Enthusiast & Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster3500 View Post
this. downpipes are an incredible pain in the ass. I couldn't imagine installing anything longer or less malleable to the motor in a cat back set up.

Cobb AP Stage 2+ FMIC Sport / BMS DCI / VRSF 7" FMIC / VRSF 3" DP / RPI Scoops / Alpina B3 Trans Flash
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

well he has a point. Its fairly common, even expected that major players offer turbo back exhaust on many other factory turbo cars.

Granted DP+catback=turbo back but in many instances these are combined a) without the typical reduced down piping to fit factory connections for true 3" or whatever all the way back and b) with a slight savings vs buying the parts separately.

Then again I've never seen a car with such a huge discrepancy between the cost of DPs and catbacks. N54 DPs are dirt cheap (granted they they are short pipes and usually catless) while most catbacks induce instant sticker shock.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
blaster3500
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

There is an exhaust for each turbo? Dual downpipes off each turbo to dual exhaust. 1 pipe for each bank. I am confused on what your are asking/thinking just think of the downpipe as part of the turbo back exhaust if you like. They make 2.5" downpipes there has to be a joint or you could never remove the exhaust. Does not matter if it is 2 inches or 3 it has to have a joint therefore it creates a downpipe.
      11-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There is an exhaust for each turbo? Dual downpipes off each turbo to dual exhaust. 1 pipe for each bank. I am confused on what your are asking/thinking just think of the downpipe as part of the turbo back exhaust if you like. They make 2.5" downpipes there has to be a joint or you could never remove the exhaust. Does not matter if it is 2 inches or 3 it has to have a joint therefore it creates a downpipe.
Instead of having downpipes why can't you just have one pipe lol it would be a dual exhaust. You technically would still have two "downpipes" but it would be one exhaust, a turboback. I get the fitment issues but I don't see why no company like ets, hpf or a big brand name company has produced one or even attempted to. Every other turbo car, sti / Evo has tons of turbo back exhausts. I can see the argument of limited space and fitment but what else am I not seeing here.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

It would basically be impossible to install with the way you have to contort the downpipes to get them in the space available, so that is the reason no one does it. The better part of the question though is why doesn't someone make a full turbo back solution as everyone makes the downpipes shrink down at the end to mate to the stock exhaust causing a restriction, then the aftermarket exhaust also has the same restriction as it is made to bolt up to the stock downpipe flange sizes. Someone could make bigger matching flanges to remove the restriction (although from memory even the stock flanges where tight in there and hard to get to the top side, but if you made full solution you could go to a pipe clamp instead and just have 2.5" or 3" pipes all the way through (I think 3's are actually too big to get to the back, but someone could also do a 2 into 1 design off the downpipes into a single 4" pipe also!

Guessing it just would be harder to sell as people replace the downpipes quite often and then later in life go full exhaust, but would be a neat solution!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Instead of having downpipes why can't you just have one pipe lol it would be a dual exhaust. You technically would still have two "downpipes" but it would be one exhaust, a turboback. I get the fitment issues but I don't see why no company like ets, hpf or a big brand name company has produced one or even attempted to. Every other turbo car, sti / Evo has tons of turbo back exhausts. I can see the argument of limited space and fitment but what else am I not seeing here.
The Evo/STI/most import tuner turbo cars, have much more space and easier access to the back of the turbo which allows a full TBE to be fabbed. Hell, my last car I had a solid 12-18" behind the turbo of clear space and there were tons of exhaust with integrated downpipes.

If your issue is wanting to be able to remove it quickly, just don't unbolt the downpipe from the exhaust. Then you will see why there are no all in one type of deals when you cant get it out.

If your issue is wanting a full 3" exhaust with no reductions, go to an exhaust shop or performance car shop and have them custom make something for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Numerous people have already said it. It would be impossible to install and also a paint to ship. Could you imagine installing one huge pipe the whole length of the car to the turbos? Installing just a small section like downpipes is enough of a pain in the ass that doing a pipe that huge would be next to impossible. No company has developed it because there is no need. You pick up a catback exhaust and downpipes and you have a turboback exhaust. It would be a waste of R&D money and time because nobody would buy it
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95
Quote:
Numerous people have already said it. It would be impossible to install and also a paint to ship. Could you imagine installing one huge pipe the whole length of the car to the turbos? Installing just a small section like downpipes is enough of a pain in the ass that doing a pipe that huge would be next to impossible. No company has developed it because there is no need. You pick up a catback exhaust and downpipes and you have a turboback exhaust. It would be a waste of R&D money and time because nobody would buy it
I get what your saying but now the million dollar question. Through my research I have yet to find a whole down pipe and catback integrated as one setup. You have your vrsf and ar with whatever cat back you want to run but none of them as a a combined combo. Vrsf downpipes and catback are the same brand but they were made to accept the oem exhaust or oem down pipes. Why isn't there just one exhaust that covers you from turbo to exhaust tips.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The honest answer?

People want to think they are getting 3" downpipes even though they all taper down to 2.5.

If you had a true dual 2.5" turbo back exhaust people would still want the "3 inch downpipes" (that taper to 2.5 anyway).

A lot of people can't get past the fact they are buying just 2.5" downpipes when "3 inch downpipes" are available.

I've talked about this with several manufacturers and they all said they could do it but they are in fear of losing sales because of the so called claims of 3" downpipes.

By no accident, a true dual 3" turbo back won't fit. So there in lies the problem.

As far as a one piece system the tolerances needed would be too high on this platform. It would need to still be broken up, especially for shipping cost purposes.

Someone should make a true 3 inch downpipe that is a Y into a 3.5inch Single Exhaust with no taper. That is something that should be considered. They would however lose the market for any potential buyers that want the downpipes or the cat back exhaust section alone.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 11-19-2013 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
I get what your saying but now the million dollar question. Through my research I have yet to find a whole down pipe and catback integrated as one setup. You have your vrsf and ar with whatever cat back you want to run but none of them as a a combined combo. Vrsf downpipes and catback are the same brand but they were made to accept the oem exhaust or oem down pipes. Why isn't there just one exhaust that covers you from turbo to exhaust tips.
Akrapovic's evolution line replaces everything from the downpipes back.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
CptJoe732
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
The honest answer?

People want to think they are getting 3" downpipes even though they all taper down to 2.5.

If you had a true dual 2.5" turbo back exhaust people would still want the "3 inch downpipes" (that taper to 2.5 anyway).

A lot of people can't get past the fact they are buying just 2.5" downpipes when "3 inch downpipes" are available.

I've talked about this with several manufacturers and they all said they could do it but they are in fear of losing sales because of the so called claims of 3" downpipes.

By no accident, a true dual 3" turbo back won't fit. So there in lies the problem.

As far as a one piece system the tolerances needed would be too high on this platform. It would need to still be broken up, especially for shipping cost purposes.

Someone should make a true 3 inch downpipe that is a Y into a 3.5inch Single Exhaust with no taper. That is something that should be considered. They would however lose the market for any potential buyers that want the downpipes or the cat back exhaust section alone.
Could always make an adapter from the y downpipe for the oem exhaust. But honestly I have the vrsf catback an it's just to big. These cars have space for duels not singles.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Could always make an adapter from the y downpipe for the oem exhaust. But honestly I have the vrsf catback an it's just to big. These cars have space for duels not singles.
In theory yes. It still leaves other factors that deter manufactuers.

Cost
Market
Platform
Future growth of the platform
Need
Competition (though nobody sells one is it worth the cost to make and would it be competitive in the market)

With downpipe and exhaust combos at nearly $1000 how much do you think this exhaust would cost to be a true dual turbo back exhaust. Has to be over $1000 easily. So is there a large performance benefit? We don't know. One could argue yes there is a performance benefit but is it worth the extra cost with other feasible options available?

It's the same conundrum people run into one buying a $450 intercooler or a $1000 intercooler... does it make that much more power? Not necessarily.

Not to mention the styling issues. Some people choose exhaust by style or sound or both. So how many versions would you need?

Just to name a few.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

2.5" downpipes sounds like crap on this engine, at least with my exhaust set up, that's why I switched to 3".

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Why don't threads like this get locked and/or deleted? There is a such thing as a stupid question, and sadly, it seems like this forum is loaded with them lately.

If you do not understand why no one would make a one piece exhaust from turbo to exhaust tip for this car, or really, any car, you probably aren't familiar enough with the platform to even be looking into modding it. What I recommend is that you search, and search, and then search some more. Try to find the answer yourself, and then maybe consider posting a thread for it if you cannot find an answer. Also, google makes a much better search option than the forum's search.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Akropovic which has the tooling and skills to do just about anything with exhausts makes downpipes and separate systems back from there

'nuff said.

Neil
Appreciate 0