E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Steering Wheel Wear

08-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Steering Wheel Wear

What do people do about steering wheels wearing? Trim has peeled which can replace however the leather on the wheel itself has seen better days (car has done 100k).

Any options apart from the obvious of simply replacing it?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I had mine vinyl wrapped. Worked well.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Banners24b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

I used this on mine http://www.liquidleather.com/scuffs.htm

worked well, not as new but about as good as it gets without having to buy a new wheel!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
tomtom11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

preventitive maintance would have been the best thing you can do. your hands have oils that detereriate the trim and leather over time. at this point unless you wrap it, i believe it will be hard to make it look good again. i would buy a new one and just take good care of it
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom11
preventitive maintance would have been the best thing you can do. your hands have oils that detereriate the trim and leather over time. at this point unless you wrap it, i believe it will be hard to make it look good again. i would buy a new one and just take good care of it
Your point is very valid, i seem
To do this to every wheel, hence this post and reluctance to drop £5-600 on a new wheel for it to happen again.

Wrapping sounds interesting - will look into this.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Leather trim on the wheel normally peels around the rear of the spokes where it meets the back of the steering boss(where plastic meets leather if you follow me)

Jack at Royal Steering Wheel is a half way house bet does a good job and the wheel is cheaper than any new one plus there's lots of choices re leather
      08-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve
Leather trim on the wheel normally peels around the rear of the spokes where it meets the back of the steering boss(where plastic meets leather if you follow me)

Jack at Royal Steering Wheel is a half way house bet does a good job and the wheel is cheaper than any new one plus there's lots of choices re leather
Would this be something you could arrange while it's at yours bud?

The list of things seems to be adding up - bank account is taking a real beating
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWebster View Post
Would this be something you could arrange while it's at yours bud?

The list of things seems to be adding up - bank account is taking a real beating
Sadly not I would contact Jack at Royal a Steering Wheels. http://royalsteeringwheels.com he may have a wheel on the shelf as he does have some wheels made up on exchange but one customer of mine went up to his house and it was all done there and then(which shocked me)

But 100% worth putting a call/email if it is bugging you to see whet he can do.
      08-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks mate will do.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate will do.
Coll let me know when the wonderful welsh manage to find your springs and dampers and we'll re book as we are getting damn busy now
      08-07-2014, 04:37 AM   #11
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Will do mate desperate to get it all done - also do I have any options for larger brakes or are we talking silly money.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:56 AM   #12
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Will do mate desperate to get it all done - also do I have any options for larger brakes or are we talking silly money.
Depends on your definition re silly money but it'll be more expensive and ask yourself a question what do you use the car for if your bombing around and one of the late brakers then perhaps its a good idea(or adjust your driving style) but if its better feel I understand but apart from discs its callipers braided hoses and everything and it costs money plus on the after market side you can buy/fit all this stuff have issues post fit (people suddenly pipe up and say the brakes squeal squeak etc)and this is a risk, don't care what anyone says re buying the aftermarket stuff some are better than others some give no grief whatsoever some will squeal squeak no matter what care and preparation you do to ensure everything is clinically clean.

Me if your a normal driver stick with my recommendation, you'll therefore get no grief plus a 2 year warranty re parts, but if you want more bite perhaps a different set of pads but there are risks attached by going this route
      08-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #13
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Was more for aesthetics
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:08 AM   #14
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Was more for aesthetics
Ah well.......Brembo blue, red, black calliper covers can be had for around £35.00 on eBay, direct from good ole China, then go down to Halfords with the Astra, Corsa crew init and don't forget your spray for the rear lights
      08-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #15
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve
Quote:
Was more for aesthetics
Ah well.......Brembo blue, red, black calliper covers can be had for around 35.00 on eBay, direct from good ole China, then go down to Halfords with the Astra, Corsa crew init and don't forget your spray for the rear lights
Lol, new wheels have just highlighted the smallish disks on the 320.
Appreciate 0