E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Another "tablet on the dash" setup...

06-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
E9Slow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi e90

Hey guys, I've seen a lot of really nice looking custom tablet dash mount setups lately, some with some very clean installs using things like the Kuda mount and some just completely custom fabrications, all which look amazing. Recently at work I won some little RCA tablet, which after researching is just a little $50 cheapie from Walmart (although I'm pretty impressed with the amount of full features like gps, Bluetooth, full Android system, external sd card slots, etc). So I decided to joint the group and make my own tablet mount, since that's really about the only place I have use for it, and to avoid having to constantly put my phone on a dash mount; now I can just leave it in my pocket (although I do have a backup mount on the left of the dash for times I do want it up).

I found a really cool method of mounting I've been using for a while now, known as Scosche's MagicMount system, which basically uses a super strong magnet for the mount (comes in adhesive, vent, dash, suction mount options) and a super thin metal plate backed with adhesive which you can stick on anything at all, the adhesive is automotive grade and incredibly strong. I currently have a plate on a case for my iPhone 6s Plus and another now on the tablet. For the tablet, I used the small adhesive mount, which utilizes a small adjustable knuckle pivoting angles, and stuck that on the dash edge, directly about the hazard light switch, and back just far enough, when the tablet grabs, the bottom edge is perfectly in line with the top of the center trim, and barely touches the edge of the dash, just to minimize any vibrations on hard bumps (virtually no shaking with these mounts btw). I've been messing with wires, and currently have a power and aux cord fed through the vents on the dash for windshield and plumbed behind radio/hvac and under center console to source in armrest. Down the road I'll be adding a Bluetooth setup for music streaming to eliminate the aux cable and I also want to order a 90 degree angle power cord, just to clean up the look. After some fooling around too, I think I may relocate the dash mount back to the flat spot on the windshield vent area (where those with the logic 7 have a speaker, but not me...lol). However I like how the current setup sits lower and less in the view out the windshield. Still gotta play with the tablet to establish power off/on settings for life in the car, and research useful apps and widgets and layouts, etc. Feel free to offer any insight on what you've used if you've been down this road already, love to hear what works for others!

Here's a few pics of the first rough draft setup (before I had the wiring plumbed cleanly):
Attached Images

06-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

That looks quite good. You have any pics of the back showing how it's mounted?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
E9Slow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks! Not at the moment, but I'll go out soon and take a few, especially now it's pretty much finalized for now.

I have the power settings set so when the car is off (I.e. No charge power) the screen shuts off in 15 seconds, and as soon as car is turned on (constant power) the screen wakes and never sleeps while charging, which is pretty close to perfect. Only issue in encountering is while Pandora is playing since I'm still feeding through aux, even if I turn car off, Pandora will keep playing if i don't pause or close it manually. Gotta figure that out, which might mean needing to upgrade to a Bluetooth streaming setup so it pauses when device disconnects.
      06-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
E9Slow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pics aren't great but here's a few shots of where the MagicMount sits and the small plate on the back of the tablet, as well as a view through front windshield:
Attached Images