E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > eibach springs on an xi

04-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #133
ium3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I just got my eibach "i" spring installed on my 328xi, and it definitely reduces the front rake and i'm not rubbing at all with 245/35/19 set up all around on a 19X8.5 Miro CSL.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #134
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU328xi View Post
I just got my eibach "i" spring installed on my 328xi, and it definitely reduces the front rake and i'm not rubbing at all with 245/35/19 set up all around on a 19X8.5 Miro CSL.
welcome to the club brotha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #135
ium3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here is a quick picture of the new drop with the eibach i.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #136
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
looks low on 19s
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #137
ium3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast! View Post
Damn that looks awesome, but it also looks lower than I would have expected. Does anyone else think so, or is it just me?

My Eibachs got here earlier today, but I'm still contemplating whether to return them due to weight issues.
Well, it is lower than most lowering springs and since i got the eibach that is meant for the "i" and not the "xi" specific, the front is even lower. And know also that i am using larger tire size than most people here because i am using 245/35/19 all around. The drop to me seems really good, and since it doesn't cause any rubbing issue at all, i'm more than happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #138
JeffL
Major
Rep
Drives: C63

I think the car looks outstanding. Well done.
      04-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #139
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ugh I wish I didn't overanalyze everything so much, but I just want to make sure I don't have to ever be worried about overloading my car with these springs.
i don't know,
i think the extra weigh in our cars is unsprung (dont quote me on this)

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #140
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Quote:
Wow..that drop looks really nice. Works really well with your current setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #141
ium3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That makes more sense. I could see you were on 19's, but didn't realize you were running a larger than stock tire size. The diameter of your setup is about 0.7 inches larger than stock, so you have even less of a wheel gap. Also, since I'm running the style 287's that come with the 09 ZSP, I won't even have to worry about rubbing.

Like I said it looks amazing, and my kit is just waiting in my garage either for a return trip to Tire Rack or a trip to the installer. If you scroll back a few pages there had been some discussions regarding whether these springs can handle the higher weight of the xi. If you bought the 335i springs and put them on your 328xi you should be fine because the weight is just about the same, but in my case the 335xi has about 220 lbs on the 335i.

I originally analyzed the specs of the springs using Eibach's German website, but now that I have them in person the part numbers stamped on the springs are different than what I had looked at online. Now I'm not so sure.

I'm not worried that the car will be too low. Given how high the car sits at present, the drop is nothing and I'll still be fine in the snow. However I'm still worried about those times when I have a full car...i.e. a trip up to the mountains to go skiing with 3 other buddies and some gear. Is my car going to be sagging beyond reasonable tolerance because the springs can't support the extra weight?

Ugh I wish I didn't overanalyze everything so much, but I just want to make sure I don't have to ever be worried about overloading my car with these springs.
Thats true. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #142
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Well, I guess you do have a little concern about weight because even if these were the European/Asian springs, if you look at the GAWR they are still under what originally are on the car. (I guess there is a little leeway on how exactly the weight is distributed.) Why don't you contact Eibach directly, they should be able to find out for you. Then you can be comfortable knowing...

Quote:
That makes more sense. I could see you were on 19's, but didn't realize you were running a larger than stock tire size. The diameter of your setup is about 0.7 inches larger than stock, so you have even less of a wheel gap. Also, since I'm running the style 287's that come with the 09 ZSP, I won't even have to worry about rubbing.

Like I said it looks amazing, and my kit is just waiting in my garage either for a return trip to Tire Rack or a trip to the installer. If you scroll back a few pages there had been some discussions regarding whether these springs can handle the higher weight of the xi. If you bought the 335i springs and put them on your 328xi you should be fine because the weight is just about the same, but in my case the 335xi has about 220 lbs on the 335i.

I originally analyzed the specs of the springs using Eibach's German website, but now that I have them in person the part numbers stamped on the springs are different than what I had looked at online. Now I'm not so sure.

I'm not worried that the car will be too low. Given how high the car sits at present, the drop is nothing and I'll still be fine in the snow. However I'm still worried about those times when I have a full car...i.e. a trip up to the mountains to go skiing with 3 other buddies and some gear. Is my car going to be sagging beyond reasonable tolerance because the springs can't support the extra weight?

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 06:05 AM   #143
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:

i your car, i have dirty dreams of cars that color!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #144
kel3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
Well, I guess you do have a little concern about weight because even if these were the European/Asian springs, if you look at the GAWR they are still under what originally are on the car. (I guess there is a little leeway on how exactly the weight is distributed.) Why don't you contact Eibach directly, they should be able to find out for you. Then you can be comfortable knowing...
I hear ya, I have 335xi I have the eibachs for the "i" on order, Im not concerned with the weight issues.... i think the springs tolerances are fine unless your seating more than 4 people in your car with a full trunk 7 days a week and live in manhattan or boston...

Really though if your lowering your car you are already taking it out of OEM spec that the engineers intended so go for it and do the intsall..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #145
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel3 View Post
I hear ya, I have 335xi I have the eibachs for the "i" on order, Im not concerned with the weight issues i think the springs tolerances are fine unless your seating more than 4 people in your car with a full trunk 7 days a week and live in manhattan...
+1

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #146
kel3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 528i

Besides you have to consider the total lbs for our cars include the rims wheels etc so the PSI on your springs is only relative to everything on/in the chassis. Make sense? I don't know if lbs spec'd in the onwers manual include the wheels and rims. I'd imagine so..

So yeah XI weigh more but does that extra 220lbs directly = more PSI on all 4 springs? I mean all 220lbs? There is weight on our cars that rests "under" the springs so keep that in mind like wheels and rims etc. I know that wheels and rims apply other types of forces to the car however I am referring to the weight directly on the springs I hope this makes sense..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #147
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I called Eibach and spoke with one of their tech guys, Phong.

He wasn't able to give me any specs on the springs regarding weight tolerances or spring rates. All he told me is that each set of springs is meant to support the maximum vehicle weight (GVWR) specified by each manufacturer. He couldn't tell me whether these i-specific springs could support more than the maximum weight specified by BMW for a 335i.

I told him that numerous folks have been using these i springs on their xi's and he said although they may fit, he couldn't give me a definitive answer on whether they're to correct specifications. He did mention that if enough folks showed an interest, Eibach would try and develop a set specifically for the xi. Since they're in SoCal they haven't had any takers thus far, but he told me that if anyone out there has an xi Eibach may be willing to use it as a test mule and you'd get a free set of springs out of it. Just give Eibach a call at 1-800-507-2338 and ask for Phong...he's one of the spring techs.

I'm now leaning towards going for a set of the H&R coilovers. I talked to a local Bimmer tuner shop and they said it wouldn't really cost a whole lot more to install them, and for a marginal $1000 extra I'd get a matching set of new struts. The guy I talked to and another posting on here are also pretty sure Bilstein actually makes the struts for the H&R coilovers.

Nothing against you guys that went with these springs because they do look awesome, but for the piece of mind I just can't pull the trigger. If I'm going to support $50,000 worth of car on a $250 set of springs, I need to at least know the manufacturer has tested them on my car.
Check out the HR sports spring that are made for the xi version. Yes they may sit a tad higher than the i version springs, but there is probably a good reason for it (heavier car etc). I went with that setup and I am more than happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #148
BDMBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 3 series

Here is a link to spring rates:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235797

I doesn't have our rates but it must be less than the ZSPs.

Quote:

He wasn't able to give me any specs on the springs regarding weight tolerances or spring rates. All he told me is that each set of springs is meant to support the maximum vehicle weight (GVWR) specified by each manufacturer. He couldn't tell me whether these i-specific springs could support more than the maximum weight specified by BMW for a 335i.

I told him that numerous folks have been using these i springs on their xi's and he said although they may fit, he couldn't give me a definitive answer on whether they're to correct specifications. He did mention that if enough folks showed an interest, Eibach would try and develop a set specifically for the xi. Since they're in SoCal they haven't had any takers thus far, but he told me that if anyone out there has an xi Eibach may be willing to use it as a test mule and you'd get a free set of springs out of it. Just give Eibach a call at 1-800-507-2338 and ask for Phong...he's one of the spring techs.

I'm now leaning towards going for a set of the H&R coilovers. I talked to a local Bimmer tuner shop and they said it wouldn't really cost a whole lot more to install them, and for a marginal $1000 extra I'd get a matching set of new struts. The guy I talked to and another posting on here are also pretty sure Bilstein actually makes the struts for the H&R coilovers.

Nothing against you guys that went with these springs because they do look awesome, but for the piece of mind I just can't pull the trigger. If I'm going to support $50,000 worth of car on a $250 set of springs, I need to at least know the manufacturer has tested them on my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #149
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

I just had Matt aka itsbrokeagain install my Eibach springs...it definately feels a bit harsher ride than stock but the handling is greatly improved. Not sure how long the oem shocks will last though with my driving and NY streets.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #150
eyeteaguy
Soldier
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi

phozenstone, is the harshness bearable or do you find yourself dodging every bump in the road? Can you go over speed bumps without bottoming out or do you have to ease your way over them at a snails pace? I bought a set of eibach i springs as well, and I'll be installing them sometime over the next week or so. Post some pics!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #151
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep

PICS:

BEFORE

AFTER

The ride is not too harsh, its definately still at a comfortable setting and my gf hasn't even noticed i dropped it lol i still dodge the bumps in the road even on stock springs b/c i have 19's. I haven't bottomed out on anything yet but its only been a day so far.

Last edited by Ph0zenstone; 05-07-2009 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #152
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

This kind of sucks. You would think that they should have this information available to them!

Maybe I'll give Eibach a call since I'm not too far away!

The most important thing is that you are comfortable with your car. Pick something that will make you happy, after all, it is your car.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #153
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Hey guys,

Have a quick question. Once you went with the lowered springs, did you realize that you camber for the front wheels are now out of spec?

I have the H&R springs and went to get my alignment done (after letting the springs settle for a week), and noticed that my camber settings were now -.84 degrees for both left and right in the front.

The upper limit for these are -.78 degrees and unfortunately camber settings cannot be fixed for the front wheels. It should not be too bad, but curious to see what results you guys got.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #154
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep

I got my alignment done the same time as my springs so no problems
Appreciate 0