E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Brake Fluid Service

12-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Brake Fluid Service

Hi all,

My 335i has notified me that I need a service this month. It's last service involved engine oil, front & rear brakes, micro-filter, spark plugs & air cleaner element, this was done only February 2011 and since then has only covered 1000miles more so none will need doing again. My dealer advises me that all I need is a brake fluid service, does this sound correct? The service book suggests that a fuel filter has never been changed but I don't know if this car has one that lives in the fuel tank and never needs changing.

If the dealer is right, how much can I expect to pay? Apparently their systems are down so they cannot quote me today. Alternately, as I have warranty, could I source genuine BMW brake fluid and have my (more) local (friendly with & capable) Mercedes dealership carry out the work for me without any issues? I believe that they can reset the service light also.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Your OBC or I-drive should tell you what item need doing exactly - just have a look.

BTW ; Brake fluid is every 2 years (regardless of mileage(, so it needs doing at 2, 4, 6 years etc.

Is you car near that age?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320d SE auto

Some service items are purely on a time basis and brake fluid is one of them due to the fluid absorbing moisture which 'could' affect system performance.

(I have to say in over 40 years driving and maintaining some of my own cars this has never been an issue afaik - but hey, BMW know better don't they? )

Same happened to me too, I took the car in for service, you know - planned my life around not having the car, etc, etc, and all they did was the brake fluid! What a waste of time, they could have least suggested delaying it until the next proper service in 3/4 months/3000 miles or doing the full service early, they did neither of course, too smug!

Oh, and have you found the brake fluid reservoir yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Virtually every car has to have a bi-annual brake fluid change, nothing to do with BMW, it's down to the fluid spec as dictated by the fluid manufacturers.

Quote:
Same happened to me too, I took the car in for service, you know - planned my life around not having the car, etc, etc, and all they did was the brake fluid! What a waste of time,
Didn't you discuss with them what they would be doing in advance? The car even tells you what's due!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi all .

The car is a late '08 so about 3.5yrs old now, I guess this might even be it's first or second fluid change. I'm still trying work out the OBC as I've not played much with it, no iDrive sadly but I'll figure it out later. I've not found the fluid resevoir, to be fair I've not looked as I don't intend on changing it myself, I want a stamp in the book.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Hi all,

My 335i has notified me that I need a service this month. It's last service involved engine oil, front & rear brakes, micro-filter, spark plugs & air cleaner element, this was done only February 2011 and since then has only covered 1000miles more so none will need doing again. My dealer advises me that all I need is a brake fluid service, does this sound correct? The service book suggests that a fuel filter has never been changed but I don't know if this car has one that lives in the fuel tank and never needs changing.

If the dealer is right, how much can I expect to pay? Apparently their systems are down so they cannot quote me today. Alternately, as I have warranty, could I source genuine BMW brake fluid and have my (more) local (friendly with & capable) Mercedes dealership carry out the work for me without any issues? I believe that they can reset the service light also.

Thanks
Hi

2 years is an absolute must, as advised by my buddy who is a VAG mastertech. According to him, moisture gets into the fluid which can can performance issues such as failure in the event of emergency braking. The 2 year rule is unaffected by whether or not the car has been heavily used.

Just had the 3 series fluid changed on the weekend as was uncertain if it had been done in the past...in all honesty mate, when it comes to safety equipment likes brakes, tyres etc, I would just err on the side of caution and not comprimise/economise. I say this because I had an accident a few years ago, where the fact that I had changed all 4 tyres the previous night probably saved my life.

In terms of cost, I would expect £50 all in from a local indy, as long as they bleed the brakes properly and reset the pedal, this will be fine. Incidentally, most main dealers simply vacum the old fluid out which is the 'quick and dirty' method.

Just my 2 pence worth!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Brake Fluid

Over time and regardless of mileage, brake fluid absorbs water from the atmosphere. Under severe braking, the brake fluid temperature rises above 100 degrees and the water boils and as we all know, steam is compressable, so your brakes become less effective.
In 99% of cases, this won't be a problem, as you'll rarely encounter such extreme braking situations. On the other hand, an Alpine pass is not the time to discover that you should have changed your brake fluid
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320d SE auto

The reasons are well understood by me and I don't take shortcuts on safety related servicing.

My point is that the dealer takes no account of what else could be done when the car is called in for service. 'Computer says no!' There was not even a suggestion that an oil/ filter change could be done a few miles early so as to avoid a second day without the car.

Frankly it's poor service typical of the arrogance with which many prestige car dealers seem to treat their customers. They are more interested in your money than providing a good service which would be much more likely to guarantee your continued custom.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:00 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep

From a business perspective, it's plain stupid, rather than arrogant, for them to not try to get you to have more work done early. Whenever I've been in they ALWAYS try to get extra work done early, by thousands of miles some times.

It's an opportunity for them to get more money out of you while you're there (and a bit of good customer service to boot)

For all they know, once you leave they might not see you again for the next batch of work.

Last edited by doughboy; 12-07-2011 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
From a business perspective, it's plain stupid, rather than arrogant, for them to not try to get you to have more work done early. Whenever I've been in they ALWAYS try to get extra work done early, by thousands of miles some times.

It's an opportunity for them to get more money out of you while you're there (and a bit of good customer service to boot)

For all they know, once you leave they might not see you again for the next batch of work.
Why look for work when at every visit you are charged 2 units of labour for Standard Scope Inspection, when I queried this I was told it was for booking car in etc. That works out at £25 + for every visit and thats why I have chosen to have oil service and brake fluid change together this time saving the 2 units of labour. yes I admit they will look for work outside of the condition based service items for warranty and of course chargeable if outside of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Brake fluid change booked in at my main dealer, £80 inc VAT, labour, parts and guaranteed no more than 90min wait. I'm capable if changing it myself but I want that all important stamp for resale appeal. Thanks for all the help .
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
G_M_S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

Just had my brake fluid done by my dealer for £45 including VAT. Which was £30 labour and £7.50 for the brake fluid then plus the VAT.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

It seems odd, but my dealer tends to look at me like I am mad if I ask for work to be done early, and never suggest it. I sometimes drive a thousand miles a week and taking the car to the dealer is a hassle. Perhaps 99% of their customers are company car drivers who can't choose what they want done.

My car was in for an oil change service last month, and I had the brake fluid done as well. The usual health check told me I had 8mm of brake pads left, now my car has decided it wants a brake service! I thought this was 6k away but had not noticed it was 6k OR Dec 2011, whichever came first. I might call them and ask if it is really necessary to have a visual inspection of the brakes so soon after a service!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #14
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_S View Post
Just had my brake fluid done by my dealer for £45 including VAT. Which was £30 labour and £7.50 for the brake fluid then plus the VAT.
That's cheap! Maybe I should call Cooper which is my next local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:53 AM   #15
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Williams in Machester always said, "oh you've got an another service item due in 2 / 3 months or so, would you like to have it done now sir to save you another trip so soon?" etc.

They get the money then, instead of risking you'll go elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #16
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I just found out that my dealer didn't quote me the extra £26 they wanted to reset the service light, that's on top of the £80 and a charge I wasn't aware of (BMW newb). I called a dealer further away from me who was prepared to drop the charge and then got my current dealer to price match. Cheeky b*ggers. £26 is peanuts today but hey, I won't become a millionaire throwing it down the drain .
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
I just found out that my dealer didn't quote me the extra £26 they wanted to reset the service light, that's on top of the £80 and a charge I wasn't aware of (BMW newb). I called a dealer further away from me who was prepared to drop the charge and then got my current dealer to price match. Cheeky b*ggers. £26 is peanuts today but hey, I won't become a millionaire throwing it down the drain .
what charge you wern't aware of?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #18
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
It's a piece of piss to do yourself, robbing cants.
      01-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I didn't realise they wanted +£26 for service light reset, they 'forgot' to quote apparently.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't realise they wanted +£26 for service light reset, they 'forgot' to quote apparently.
Fackin' robbing cants, no wonder they can afford nice tiled workshop floors
      01-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #21
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Robbery indeed dude, I love maintaining my own car but got to remember that 98% of BMW buyers are clueless and think a BMWFSH counts for something so that's what they'll look for when buying one. TBH I know I can do, or and Indy can do an equal or better job on most things but that stamp in the book keeps people happy, luckily some main dealers are doing some great deals .
Appreciate 0