E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Is it worth it? best bang for buck? exhaust idea

11-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #23
jmkworld
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3

you said you can change it in a few minutes. do you have a picture of what your set up looks like. DEFINATELY INTERESTED in doing it just like yours!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #24
IcebergM4
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
Really? I guess they dont care, its not like the muffler affects anything. But you know how the dealers are.
Won't deleting the mufflers on the N55 cause a loss of power?? I thought the N55 required the extra backpressure. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #25
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg3 View Post
Won't deleting the mufflers on the N55 cause a loss of power?? I thought the N55 required the extra backpressure. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
Could be right but I have an n54 so I'm good

Here is a picture of the set up I made. If you look you can see the 2 exhausts clamps on there. I made it to where the muffler delete pipes I made can slide snug over the stock pipes where I cut the mufflers off. I also have a set of magnaflow mufflers that can slide on the same way and use the same clamps. It really sounds good and I am glad it is this way b/c I am about to put catless DPs on it and I am afraid it will be too loud and if it is I can just throw the mufflers back on.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #26
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I like it. Great work!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #27
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicostal View Post
I like it. Great work!!!
Thanks, I like it a lot.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #28
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg3 View Post
No. ENGINES like a little bit of backpressure (immediately out of the exhaust port)...NA engines like/need a little bit of backpressure, but our Turbos' provide the backpressure to the engine.. Therefore, what you're thinking is actually reducing backpressure from the Turbo....which is desireable.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #29
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
This n55 sounds nasty
I might go back to that
Cost me all of 90 bucks.
      11-16-2010, 01:23 AM   #30
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

No engine ever needs backpressure, only exhaust velocity and scavenging, which may be brought on by less free-flowing exhausts. Top end will suffer from restriction. Go as wide as you can until you start experiencing diminishing returns.
      11-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #31
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

That sounds pretty badass..I like. The idea of being able to install/remove the exhaust easily is pretty good too.
      11-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #32
bugmcw
jerk of all trades
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

hell yeah me too, id love to be able to slip the muffler on and off at will-
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #33
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Muffler delete has No drone?

Guys-

I ended up spending about $400 in total for my setup. Here's what I did.

1. First, I had the muffler shop saw off the stock mufflers and tips. Then I had them install two Magnaflow resonator-type mufflers (i.s. style 10414) and rewelded the stock tips on.

The sound was great, the I6 sound was back! However, after a couple of the weeks, the drone at around 2k RPM just got too crazy, especially cruising for long distances.

2. I went back to the shop and they said the only that could be done was to go with a different, larger muffler (i.e. style 12226).

The resulting sound is much more mellow than the original setup but still throatier and deeper than stock. There is basically no drone either. However, it lost a lot of that I6 sound, the awesome rumble at idle, and has a bit of the harshness of the stock exhaust.

Have you guys had similar experiences?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 02:02 AM   #34
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Guys-

I ended up spending about $400 in total for my setup. Here's what I did.

1. First, I had the muffler shop saw off the stock mufflers and tips. Then I had them install two Magnaflow resonator-type mufflers (i.s. style 10414) and rewelded the stock tips on.

The sound was great, the I6 sound was back! However, after a couple of the weeks, the drone at around 2k RPM just got too crazy, especially cruising for long distances.

2. I went back to the shop and they said the only that could be done was to go with a different, larger muffler (i.e. style 12226).

The resulting sound is much more mellow than the original setup but still throatier and deeper than stock. There is basically no drone either. However, it lost a lot of that I6 sound, the awesome rumble at idle, and has a bit of the harshness of the stock exhaust.

Have you guys had similar experiences?
Yeah my muffler delete drones a bit but in reality if you want a good sound you are going to have to deal with a little bit of drone, price you gotta pay.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #35
z92
Rep
Drives: sparkling graphite e92 335i

Nice video! what size are the tips you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #36
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
No. ENGINES like a little bit of backpressure (immediately out of the exhaust port)...NA engines like/need a little bit of backpressure, but our Turbos' provide the backpressure to the engine.. Therefore, what you're thinking is actually reducing backpressure from the Turbo....which is desireable.
I guess all those drag/race cars with straight pipes need to take a look into their straight pipe exhaust design and rethink that based on what you say.
      11-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #37
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
I guess all those drag/race cars with straight pipes need to take a look into their straight pipe exhaust design and rethink that based on what you say.
Haha drag engines pushing thousands of horsepower are a bit different, which I think you are smart enough to realize. For the average <100hp/liter car, some backpressure is desireable.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #38
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by z92 View Post
Nice video! what size are the tips you have?
They are 4 inch tips, they are just as good of quality of any tip out there. They look exactly like dimisa tips but bigger and I got them for 28 bucks to my door from a car parts provider on ebay and they are nice.

Quote:
Haha drag engines pushing thousands of horsepower are a bit different, which I think you are smart enough to realize. For the average <100hp/liter car, some backpressure is desireable.
this

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #39
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Another alternative way of doing this would be with v-band flanges. That way for those of us up north where stuff gets salty/rusty/etc (ie a slip fit system sucks for swapping stuff out if needed) it would be simple.

I may look into doing this in the spring. Solid idea, easy to accomplish. The sound is fantastic as well.
      11-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #40
jmkworld
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
Another alternative way of doing this would be with v-band flanges. That way for those of us up north where stuff gets salty/rusty/etc (ie a slip fit system sucks for swapping stuff out if needed) it would be simple.

I may look into doing this in the spring. Solid idea, easy to accomplish. The sound is fantastic as well.
any info or pics of this?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #41
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Haha....ok...Mr. Condescending attitude. Unfortunately, you couldn't be more wrong. Since you have ZERO evidence and facts regarding flow/backpressure and how it is bad for an exhaust except, "thousands of horsepower are a bit different"..what does that mean?? Very scientific and factual on the physics involved...which makes your argument have no credibility.

The the not so smart person says and knows why back-pressure is bad, knows the principle of designing a good performing exhaust, and the so-called guy who thinks he is smart, is actually the one who doesn't know what he is talking about..the former is me, the latter is you.
      11-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #42
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Haha....ok...Mr. Condescending attitude. Unfortunately, you couldn't be more wrong. Since you have ZERO evidence and facts regarding flow/backpressure and how it is bad for an exhaust except, "thousands of horsepower are a bit different"..what does that mean?? Very scientific and factual on the physics involved...which makes your argument have no credibility.

The the not so smart person says and knows why back-pressure is bad, knows the principle of designing a good performing exhaust, and the so-called guy who thinks he is smart, is actually the one who doesn't know what he is talking about..the former is me, the latter is you.
And what evidence have you presented proving him wrong? All you did was say he was wrong, fail. If someone is wrong why don't you come presenting facts to actually help people understand these situations, instead of coming in here and putting up a completely useless youtube style comment.

Here is some useful info on backpressure...

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

And if you search around you can see that a little back pressure on a turbo is good, less it better but some is needed to keep the turbo from spinning too fast and blowing.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #43
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
And what evidence have you presented proving him wrong? All you did was say he was wrong, fail. If someone is wrong why don't you come presenting facts to actually help people understand these situations, instead of coming in here and putting up a completely useless youtube style comment.

Here is some useful info on backpressure...

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

And if you search around you can see that a little back pressure on a turbo is good, less it better but some is needed to keep the turbo from spinning too fast and blowing.

So you post something that supports exactly what I said.

You say "if I search around you can see that a little back pressure on a turbo is good, the less it better, but some is needed to keep the turbo from spinning too fast and blowing"?!?!

What? That is what a wastegate is for...gheez. Wastegates control turbine speed...not exhaust backpressure. Exhaust flow goes over the turbin wheel and spins it, the wastegate then controls how fast the turbine spins and controls the amount of gas that can pass over the turbine wheel.

I don't need to post any supporting evidence...but you found some and that is exactly contradictory to what you posted and supports what I said. Backpressure is bad. For eveyr 1Hg is backpressure you lose about 1hp. It is that simple. Physics.

A good design for an exhaust accomplishes two things, it reduces back pressure, and it accelerates the velocity of the gases across the entire RPM range as best as possible.
      11-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #44
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
So you post something that supports exactly what I said.

You say "if I search around you can see that a little back pressure on a turbo is good, the less it better, but some is needed to keep the turbo from spinning too fast and blowing"?!?!

What? That is what a wastegate is for...gheez. Wastegates control turbine speed...not exhaust backpressure. Exhaust flow goes over the turbin wheel and spins it, the wastegate then controls how fast the turbine spins and controls the amount of gas that can pass over the turbine wheel.

I don't need to post any supporting evidence...but you found some and that is exactly contradictory to what you posted and supports what I said. Backpressure is bad. For eveyr 1Hg is backpressure you lose about 1hp. It is that simple. Physics.

A good design for an exhaust accomplishes two things, it reduces back pressure, and it accelerates the velocity of the gases across the entire RPM range as best as possible.
You do need a little bit of back pressure. But the main thing is, his exhaust sounds awesome, and its fully reversible
Appreciate 0