E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY ******** BOV**

11-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

DIY ******** BOV**

this is the most straight forward yet complicated install i personally have ever done.

++++_____________________TOOLS___________++++

Hex ket set
Carpenters knife
Flat head screwdriver
Allen key set
socket set

To be honest it was a very straight forward install ( put the pipe on the throttle body) but their is alot of parts that %100 of threads leave out INCLUDING the instructions.

1. Take off all cowling and airbox

2. twist and release the diverter valve closest to the front bumper of the car and set that DV to the side

3. twist and realease the other DV but leave the end closest to the firewall in place

3. remove the boost tubing from the diveter valves then remove the vacuum T and you should be left with only 1 boost tube that leads to the throttle body( set it to the side).

4. Unscrew the hex key bolt found right around the middle of the stock charge pipe. Place that screw and washer somewhere safe youll need it when you go back to stock.

5. unscrew the hose clamp at the elbow of the charge pipe. Their is a metal band and also a hose clamp. Just do the hose clamp instead of the metal band you will not be needing the stock elbow anyways.

6. With a flathead screwdriver pull up the clip that locks the stock chargepipe in place near the throttle body. Make sure to full remove it ( another part nobody clarifies) because it will not come off if only halfway off. Remove it by grabbing one end of it and pulling up. Its a flexible piece of metal and very clumsy so please try not to drop it in the engine bay.

7. Tap on the Chargepipe a couple times and it should come loose !!!DO NOT REMOVE IT THEIR SENSOR IS STILL ATTACHED!!!!

8. Turn the stock pipe around as much as possible and try your hardest to get a flat head in their. Their is a small clip holding it down, Try to get the screwdriver under it, When you do that try to push the sensor out by angling the screwdriver and pushing out. YES its not easy so AND TRY NOT TO BREAK THE CLIP YOU WILL NEED IT.

9. Remove the sensor from the stock chargepipe and place it onto the new ******** BOV its kind of tough to if you have to,stick your hand in the stock charge pipe and try to push it up " dont push super hard" just try to wiggle it out without breaking the sensor. use the small bolts and washers supplied to you by ********. Also grease the green o-ring up with something slick. Vegetable oil,grease etc.

10. Time to cap off all of the opening's left from the uninstall of the stock charge pipe with the supplied rubber caps. If you did not get tiny hose clamps then use zip-tie's. their are 2 obvious places to put these caps. 1 opening is connected to the intake hose closest to the kidney grills. And the other 1 is on the bottom of the DV head. Zip tie these nice and tight.

11. get the 3" - 2.5" silicone reducer and put it on the ******** BOV.....This is a part they dont tell you is really frikin hard, Use some elbow grease and get it around the BOV. I used a heat gun witch helped a little. Now get the hose clamp and clamp down that reducer as hard as you can tighten.

13. Remove the o-ring from the stock charge pipe and put it in the BOV

14. Now for the hard part getting the pipe into the engine bay and making it sit right onto the throttle body correctly Oooooo the pain my back still hurts just thinking about it.

now get the bottom half of the BOV pipe nearest the upper inter cooler pipe in first. Youll notice when you try to get the pipe to get their itll get stuck ????Why you ask.....Well the dv tube that we capped near the intake with that rubber cap is in the way so try to your best so move things around to get it in their.

15. get the smaller hose clamp and put it around the upper intcooler pipe out of the way. Now its time to get the silicone reducer we installed on the BOV pipe and trey get it around the upper intercooler pipe. You'll notice the bottom half of it will curl up and it wont get around the pipe. So just push down on the top half of the silicone reducer so you could get your fingers to the bottom of it in order to get it around the pipe then work your way up the reducer to get it full around the pipe. Do not put silicone reducer all the way up the intercooler pipe yet leave it a lil less then halfway and clamp it down fully you will need some play so you could get the pipe to sit on the throttle body correctly.

16. Keep the metal clip we uninstalled earlier nearby. Stand on the drivers side of the car and try to get the BOV to sit correctly on the throttle body.The way i new it was sitting correctly was when the shiny part of the throttle body was fully covered by the BOV. Once you have it sitting correctly hold it in place with 1 hand and install the c-clip by sliding it down the same way you took it out of the stock chargepipe. Bang and push on the pipe lightly a couple times to make sure its secure.

17. Now go back to the the other side of the bov ( where we only left the silicone reducer halfway) and wiggle it fully flush onto the upper intercooler pipe. The way i did it was to wiggle the intercooler pipe onto the BOV not the oppisite way , Its much easier that way. Clamp it down as hard as possible.

18. reinstall the the sensor clip we unclipped earlier. It will just slide in and click

19. Remove the boost line from the throttle body, DO NOT JUST PULL ON IT YOU WILL BREAK THE NIPPLE. Using a carpenters blade cut the the boost tubing vertically until you have cut fully through the tubing then simply tug on the tubing and it will come off.

20. Replace that boost tubing with the orange boost tubing supplied

21. Now get the other orange line and put it on the nipple of the the stock DV head that we capped with the rubber cap.

22. Time to install the BOV, It pretty straight forward MAKE SURE TO USE THE RUBBER GASKET.

23. Time to hook the boost lines up..... The Boost line from the throttle body goes to the front brass nipple of the BOV and the boost line from the DV head goes to the back brass nipple of the BOV. ( zip tie these)

23. Start her up and give it some go go juice..

Hope this helps guys.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
I get a little confused b/c sometimes it looks like you're referring to the new ****** charge pipe as the BOV. You say to but the 3-2.5 inch reducer on the BOV, do you mean charge pipe? Theres a few other times too where it's a little fuzzy. And I have seen some things saying you cap both DV places and cap the lower brass nipple. I don't think there is a need to keep one DV in.

Also, when I install mine I will def. be putting hoseclamps where you cap the DVs. Cleaner look and a lot more reliable.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Look at page 8 in this http://www.aatuning.com/pdf/Product07.pdf

They specifically say do not connect anything to the lower port of the BOV. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to pull both DVs off and run one vacuum line from the original spot to the top of the BOV.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke1972 View Post
(Now get the other orange line and put it on the nipple of the the stock DV head that we capped with the rubber cap. )

Does this other orange line connect to the Front or Rear DV then back to the rear BOV Nipple??
Yes exactly!.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
Look at page 8 in this http://www.aatuning.com/pdf/Product07.pdf

They specifically say do not connect anything to the lower port of the BOV. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to pull both DVs off and run one vacuum line from the original spot to the top of the BOV.
Well i connected mine this way and iam holding 16psi and have a great sound coming from the BOV. This is why i made this DIY because every other DIY is a lil Fuzzy.
WHen i refer Charge pipe it means the stock pipe....When i refer to BOV it means ********. I made sure to do this for less confusion just go over it again and you will see.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke1972 View Post
Thats what I just did..
(They specifically say do not connect anything to the lower port of the BOV. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to pull both DVs off and run one vacuum line from the original spot to the top of the BOV.)
How is that working out? I feel like that has to look so much cleaner. I am going to return this thing if you have to keep one of the DVs on, thats pretty crappy IMO.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Sweet, thats good news. I will be installing my in the near future.

Appreciate 0