E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Temp gauge bad?

08-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Oil Temp gauge bad?

So I've been feeling like something is way off with my temperatures for a while now.

I too my car into the local BMW service hero. He is not only superb but he now has a fresh off of a BMW Dealership tech who knows 335s extremely well. They went through my oil cooling system - I have an AR OC - and measured temps, drove it hard measured some more, took temps from all over the oil cooling system and made sure the AR OC core was perfectly operational.

They measured at the oil filter housing and the oil lines exiting the engine, using these as the hottest temps. They only ever measured 200 at the hottest but whenever they compared that to the temp gauge the gauge always read approximately 35 higher. It never failed to do this.

I took into my dealership and they did their diagnostic, which included driving it then reading the temp reached from the OBDC port. It always matched perfectly. They returned it saying nothing was wrong.

Questions:
  • Is the oil temp sensor in a place where the temps would be up to 40 degrees higher than the engine exit and filter housing?
  • If the EMS takes the temp from the sensor, even if it's wrong, will it pull back on timing even if the temp is truly much cooler than the sensor is reading?

• Thanks for any insight
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
k726
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Positive that The DME reads exactly what the "sensor" is sending to it. Without a doubt. That's it's purpose so yes it will affect performance. Really unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
So I've been feeling like something is way off with my temperatures for a while now.

I too my car into the local BMW service hero. He is not only superb but he now has a fresh off of a BMW Dealership tech who knows 335s extremely well. They went through my oil cooling system - I have an AR OC - and measured temps, drove it hard measured some more, took temps from all over the oil cooling system and made sure the AR OC core was perfectly operational.

They measured at the oil filter housing and the oil lines exiting the engine, using these as the hottest temps. They only ever measured 200 at the hottest but whenever they compared that to the temp gauge the gauge always read approximately 35 higher. It never failed to do this.

I took into my dealership and they did their diagnostic, which included driving it then reading the temp reached from the OBDC port. It always matched perfectly. They returned it saying nothing was wrong.

Questions:
  • Is the oil temp sensor in a place where the temps would be up to 40 degrees higher than the engine exit and filter housing?
  • If the EMS takes the temp from the sensor, even if it's wrong, will it pull back on timing even if the temp is truly much cooler than the sensor is reading?

• Thanks for any insight
At 235 degrees your car should be running full power. That is not very hot for these engines.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
jbass524
Major
Rep

I should have said I normally overheat at the track - 290. It was only just to get a reading so they didn't take it above 235.

I had BMW SF look at it a 2nd time and they found nothing wrong after doing a complete investigation comparing physical, sensor and gauge readings. They were great. Took pictures of the various readings throughout the OC system.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

290 with ar oil cooler. Sad.. what boost are u running?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
jbass524
Major
Rep

I know. No boost. Stock motor with IC and exhaust. I don't think it's ever really worked yet. Andrew has been very helpful but I haven't gotten it to work. Probably my fault. I just had it gone through so tomorrow at Laguna will e very telling.
Appreciate 0