E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > what aftermarket combo comes closest to ZSP?

12-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

what aftermarket combo comes closest to ZSP?

I do not have ZSP, but I wish I did, so I'm seriously considering the BMW performance suspension, but concerned it might feel too stiff and also give me wheel/tire problems on the roads where I live.

Suppose I wanted to tone it down a bit - what aftermarket spring/strut/shock/sway bar combo will yield something approaching stock ZSP but not as stiff as the BMW performance suspension?

OR should I just go with with the performance suspension?

I'll probably be going with Forgestar 14's 18x18.5 all around (non-staggered) as well, fwiw.

Thanks.

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Eibach Prokit springs, paired with Koni Yellow shocks and Eibach front and rear swaybars.

It will be a very comfortable, very functional setup. I have seen a car with this exact setup lose a ZSP 335 in the canyons.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post
Eibach Prokit springs, paired with Koni Yellow shocks and Eibach front and rear swaybars.

It will be a very comfortable, very functional setup. I have seen a car with this exact setup lose a ZSP 335 in the canyons.
Thanks. Brief check online totals over $1,300 for those bits. BMW performance suspension is less.

I'll do some more research.

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata

I would not call BMWPerformance suspension too stiff... Have it on my car (replaced ZSP upon delivery) and neither i nor my passengers feel it is overly harsh - mind this is with non-runflat tires fitted (winters, but V-rated), but non-runflats are what you should ideally run with the BMWPerformance suspension anyway as it is reportedly optimized for such. More to the point, the handling gains over ZSP are considerable... makes a proper sports sedan of the car, delivering on the BMW badge's promise. You can fling the car around neat, tidy and composed even over poor pavement and yet it cruises just as serenely at speed.

From your current setup, ZSP will be a good upgrade to handling, mind, but if you are even thinking of BMWPerformance know that it's an upgrade that will more seriously transform the car.

If you are a back road type, handling mods are always money well spent...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
drew4392
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefly View Post
I would not call BMWPerformance suspension too stiff... Have it on my car (replaced ZSP upon delivery) and neither i nor my passengers feel it is overly harsh - mind this is with non-runflat tires fitted (winters, but V-rated), but non-runflats are what you should ideally run with the BMWPerformance suspension anyway as it is reportedly optimized for such. More to the point, the handling gains over ZSP are considerable... makes a proper sports sedan of the car, delivering on the BMW badge's promise. You can fling the car around neat, tidy and composed even over poor pavement and yet it cruises just as serenely at speed.

From your current setup, ZSP will be a good upgrade to handling, mind, but if you are even thinking of BMWPerformance know that it's an upgrade that will more seriously transform the car.

If you are a back road type, handling mods are always money well spent...

Well said.

To OP: check out Tischer for their $133 performance damper closeout. Pair that with performance springs and you are set for under $600. People love this setup.
Appreciate 0