E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How much you spend on maintenance costs with Certified BMW?

12-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
slingxshot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 528i xDrive

How much you spend on maintenance costs with Certified BMW?

How much per year on average?

Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

FREE the maintenance is free with warranty! Is that what you mean by certified BMW?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
FREE the maintenance is free with warranty! Is that what you mean by certified BMW?
looks like a follow up to this thread... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627303
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

OP, if you examine your Warranty/Service manual, you'll discover the following service is recommended by BMW and covered under the original or extended service warranty - prices are estimates for servce by a BMW dealer:

Oil Change every 15k (average) or once per year - $110
Brake Fluid change (every 2 years) - $150
Inspection (every 30,000 miles) - $200
Brakes (only if needed) $0 to $1,400
Misc Filters - $100

So unless you will need both front and rear brakes including rotors replaced during the extended warranty period, there is no point in even considering it. Even if you will need F/R brakes, then you will still be lucky to break even.

Save your money and self-insure.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
slingxshot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
OP, if you examine your Warranty/Service manual, you'll discover the following service is recommended by BMW and covered under the original or extended service warranty - prices are estimates for servce by a BMW dealer:

Oil Change every 15k (average) or once per year - $110
Brake Fluid change (every 2 years) - $150
Inspection (every 30,000 miles) - $200
Brakes (only if needed) $0 to $1,400
Misc Filters - $100

So unless you will need both front and rear brakes including rotors replaced during the extended warranty period, there is no point in even considering it. Even if you will need F/R brakes, then you will still be lucky to break even.

Save your money and self-insure.

Tom
Oil change every 15K miles. I now do them at least every 4K miles with the subbie? I am reading this correct?

Why cant I change brakes at a local shop? And why they cannot be after market brakes?

Original owner replaced the brakes at 33K front and 38K miles back. The car now has 47K miles. How much brakes do you think it has?

The car has 47K miles. If I can go through BMW regular maintenance... what will it cost me without the package?

Thanks!

Last edited by slingxshot; 12-24-2011 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
be1ieve1111
Thread Killer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EB M235i

Don't buy it. I'm at 70k miles My Original Warranty/Maintenance ended last October. Only thing I've needed is an oil change which costs $70 online at Tischer and a 12 pack of beer at the local oil change shop to do it for you infront of you.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
slingxshot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by be1ieve1111 View Post
Don't buy it. I'm at 70k miles My Original Warranty/Maintenance ended last October. Only thing I've needed is an oil change which costs $70 online at Tischer and a 12 pack of beer at the local oil change shop to do it for you infront of you.
This is not covered

Upkeep Items
Maintenance; engine, transmission and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.

Wear and use
All wear-and-use items as defined in ''The Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program Consumer Information Statement'' for Certified Pre-Owned BMWs (including all suspension parts and components).

Body and interior
Paint; glass; headlights; bulbs (except instrumentation); mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; interior and exterior trim, moldings and fasteners; upholstery, headliner, carpeting, floor and trunk mats; convertible top (all components except electronics); air or water leaks; wind or body noises; wheels; damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination except as covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Perforation Warranty.

Accessories
Radio/CD (or cassette) player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, DVD player or any components of those systems, plus non-original equipment parts, components or accessories.

nav system, radio/cd not covered? What is wrong with this story? Those things cost a fortune probably to replace.
Can the car properly function without the nav system if it broke?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

sounds like you have some warranty stuff mixed in there. The maintenance plan does not cover all that. Maint and warranty are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingxshot View Post
This is not covered

Upkeep Items
Maintenance; engine, transmission and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.

Wear and use
All wear-and-use items as defined in ''The Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program Consumer Information Statement'' for Certified Pre-Owned BMWs (including all suspension parts and components).

Body and interior
Paint; glass; headlights; bulbs (except instrumentation); mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; interior and exterior trim, moldings and fasteners; upholstery, headliner, carpeting, floor and trunk mats; convertible top (all components except electronics); air or water leaks; wind or body noises; wheels; damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination except as covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Perforation Warranty.

Accessories
Radio/CD (or cassette) player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, DVD player or any components of those systems, plus non-original equipment parts, components or accessories.

nav system, radio/cd not covered? What is wrong with this story? Those things cost a fortune probably to replace.
Can the car properly function without the nav system if it broke?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The question should be is the Free Maintenace enough

It suppose to be enough to get BMW past the 100k liability mark for a CPO while incurring minimum costs to BMW is the answer.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...e-our-m5s.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ting+for+fools
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

i've gotten front and rear brakes and rotors replaced, clutch replaced, and peeling steering wheel and door handle (no questions asked but not sure if it was covered under warranty or maintenance). Regardless, those three together have made up for the maintenance warranty cost.

I was explicitly told if I get my clutch done with aftermarket it voids the transmission, but every dealer is different.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiike32 View Post
clutch replaced, and peeling steering wheel and door handle (no questions asked but not sure if it was covered under warranty or maintenance). Regardless, those three together have made up for the maintenance warranty cost.

I was explicitly told if I get my clutch done with aftermarket it voids the transmission, but every dealer is different.
maintenance covers scheduled maintenance. the stuff the car's Condition Based Service (CBS) system says it needs done. that other stuff is warranty. warranty is worth it, maint plan isn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Cali_Creez
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT; BNR34; S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiike32 View Post
i've gotten front and rear brakes and rotors replaced, clutch replaced, and peeling steering wheel and door handle (no questions asked but not sure if it was covered under warranty or maintenance). Regardless, those three together have made up for the maintenance warranty cost.

How much was it to get your clutch replaced? And where did you have it done? Im currently looking for a shop to replace my clutch in the car I just bought this month and the dealership has quoted me $1800.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

clutch was done free from bmw under the maintenance plan. Regular warranty doesn't cover it (from what I was told). That in itself made me satisfied with the maintenance plan because the SA also told me it was close to $2k to get a new clutch. So anything on top of the clutch is just a bonus now.

I've also had brakes and rotors replaced which I don't think was covered in the regular warranty... someone correct me if it is.

Mike3000fl, I think you're a bit mistaken. Maintenance plan is much more than just scheduled maintenance. It's wear and tear items as needed throughout duration of the CPO warranty as well. (that is straight out of the leaflet I got when I bought my car.. had to look it up after seeing this post).

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray

Last edited by spiike32; 01-02-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
3me
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6spd mt 325i

I would almost get just for ticking noise...the tick is thousands to fix.
      01-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Nothing. Lease dump lease, rinse repeat. A BMW is a car you do not want to own out of warranty. Repairs can quickly mount into the nightmare zone.
Appreciate 0