E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Does this make sense? (Transmission)

04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 ZCP Mexico Blue M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Does this make sense? (Transmission)

Not really sure what to make of my situation here, so I'll see if it makes sense to anyone else. Long story short, I have a 2007 335i that is currently in service for a transmission problem; hard shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I dropped it off this morning, and got a call around noon from the shop foreman. His diagnosis was that something internal was "sticking" and, because the problem is internal, they'd rather replace the entire transmission than have to tear it down and fix the problem that way (this is BMW of Sterling in Northern Virginia).

I have a comprehensive, bumper-to-bumper extended warranty from USAA through Assurant Solutions. The car cost about $20k, with an extra $3k thrown on top for the warranty. My service advisor called USAA and recommended the transmission be replaced because trying to fix it any other way could not guarantee the problem be fixed; only an entirely new transmission could provide that peace-of-mind.

In virtually every other aspect, the car is in perfect condition (both Fairfax and Sterling agree). The cynic in me is expecting a near $10k repair to be declined. Why would they pay $10k to fix a car that's only worth $23k? Does any of this make sense? I'm not quite sure what my options are if the claim is denied. If they decide to help, and I get a brand new transmission, that's awesome, but I just don't see it happening, even though everything under the sun sans wear and tear items is covered under my warranty. If the claim is denied, what are my options if I'm stuck with a car with a faulty transmission?

I appreciate any feedback!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

They're right, the trans is not serviceable, no replacement parts available. Ask if the shop/insurance will consider a good used trans. Another option is to buy a good used trans and have them install it. Check out www.carpart.com to browse various options.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Leekay07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI Sedan

Transmissions can be rebuilt and carry warranty. But the dealer and the coverage should be working with one another to come to a solution.
Appreciate 0