E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > H7 LED upgrade

11-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #23
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_bassman View Post
These look great, how are you both getting on with them? I've done my Angel eyes, so really want to upgrade the dipped beam now, the E90 halogen headlights are pretty poor IMO so anything to improve the lights can only be a good thing!
Not fitted mine yet. Hope to get it done probably at the back end of next week. Will be going over my friends garage sometime next week to get the 'before' pics on the mot rig and then when fitted will go back and get the 'after' pics. Will also go out somewhere nice and dark with no street lights to get before and after pics.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 01:29 AM   #24
ally_bassman
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320d M Sport

Excellent, please do! Would be great to hear two set's of feedback before taking the plunge. Changing my brake pads in the comming weeks so may aswell fit some at the same time wheel the front wheels are off.
      11-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #25
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Plus one!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:29 AM   #26
ozyboyross
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 330D SE with M sport kit

Im also waiting for some feedback before I pull the trigger on a set for myself, the e90 halogens really are poor, aftermarket HID dazzle and a genuine xenon upgrade would cost too much, so I'm quite hopeful these will tick all the boxes for me
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:40 AM   #27
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Hi Guys, if there are specific tests you would like me to do, certain pics to take etc..... feel free to let me know and I'll do my best.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 04:14 AM   #28
ally_bassman
Private
Rep

Pics of them on in the dark from the front of the car please!

Oh and any feedback as to whether they are dazzling other road users and how you feel they have improved driving in the dark.

Cheers
      11-28-2017, 05:06 AM   #29
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Just make sure all comparisons are on a camera with a locked shutter speed, aperture, ISO and white balance if possible.

On a tripod would be good too although not completely necessary.

Some showing what they look like in the rear view of a car in front and from an oncoming car would be good too.

Some more real world comparisons too lighting up roads etc rather than just walls/driveways etc. Places that are pitch black and have details we could pick out and compare visibility of.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:41 AM   #30
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_bassman View Post
Pics of them on in the dark from the front of the car please!

Oh and any feedback as to whether they are dazzling other road users and how you feel they have improved driving in the dark.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
Just make sure all comparisons are on a camera with a locked shutter speed, aperture, ISO and white balance if possible.

On a tripod would be good too although not completely necessary.

Some showing what they look like in the rear view of a car in front and from an oncoming car would be good too.

Some more real world comparisons too lighting up roads etc rather than just walls/driveways etc. Places that are pitch black and have details we could pick out and compare visibility of.
Good suggestions, I did notice the software kicking in every time I took a pic with my Galaxy S7 so the images were not representaive of the reality..... I'll have to break out the proper camera and go manual, I have a tripod too so that'll steady things.

I've just arranged with a friend to go out on Sat to get these pics and that'll introduce the other car into the equation for rear view mirror shots and dazzle etc.

I'll do my best though I don't have an incredible amount of exprerience with night photography
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #31
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

The problem with a lot of headlight comparisons is that they use a camera on auto which will try and match the exposure, making the comparison a lot less useful.

I just threw out a lot of suggestions so there's a higher chance some of them will get done. I'd love to have some proof that correctly designed LED's can be used in a halogen reflector.

Another cool idea would be a GoPro head cam at like eye level and film being followed/oncoming footage on a straight road, to try and get as close to real world conditions as possible, but that's paid to review level of effort.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #32
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

I'd be happy with an MOT opinion on the beam pattern.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #33
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

That would only prove they don't throw light where they're not supposed to, and not how effective they actually are at lighting the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #34
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
That would only prove they don't throw light where they're not supposed to, and not how effective they actually are at lighting the road.
Agree... but throwing the light where they are supposed to would help in lighting the road. It would also tell us whether these are chavtastic like the blinding HID in reflector conversations.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #35
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, but the MOT test wouldn't prove that.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:05 AM   #36
ozyboyross
United Kingdom
Rep

Id just be happy to here end users opinions, are they better, are they brighter, would you recommend?

Imo MOT tests are so lax that these will pass no probs as most test centres are too lazy to do a proper test (I've had HID kits for years and never had an issue)

I just don't like HID in non projector lamps, but find the e90 halogens really poor. so if these LEDs are the solution id be really happy, plus it will look more modern.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:42 AM   #37
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyboyross View Post
Id just be happy to here end users opinions, are they better, are they brighter, would you recommend?

Imo MOT tests are so lax that these will pass no probs as most test centres are too lazy to do a proper test (I've had HID kits for years and never had an issue)

I just don't like HID in non projector lamps, but find the e90 halogens really poor. so if these LEDs are the solution id be really happy, plus it will look more modern.
I can tell you right now that these are far better than any HID kit I've seen (in a reflector housing). My brother has a HID kit in his 1 series and I'm constantly telling him it throws light everywhere, I even showed him in our garage where his light ends up on the ceiling whereas mine has cut-off more or less where it should be. He's a tool and still not pulled them out....

They are without doubt, much brighter than the Osram Halogens I had in before and I would recommend them but feel free to wait until I get some better pics over the weekend.

Last edited by sirleeofroy; 11-29-2017 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 03:32 AM   #38
ozyboyross
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
I can tell you right now that these are far better than any HID kit I've seen (in a reflector housing). My brother has a HID kit in his 1 series and I'm constantly telling him it throws light everywhere, I even showed him in our garage where his light ends up on the ceiling whereas mine has cut-off more or less where it should be. He's a tool and still not pulled them out....

They are without doubt, much brighter than the Osram Halogens I had in before and I would recommend them but feel free to wait until I get some better pics over the weekend.
tbh I was so close to purchasing anyway that that has tipped me over the edge anyway.

I wanted the HID benefits without being a twat and dazzling other drivers, and it sounds like these will give me that.

They look better than halogens too, will just need to find a solution for the sidelights so they match.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 03:55 AM   #39
ally_bassman
Private
Rep

I've been doing some research into the different types,

I'm thinking of going for some of these: http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/headlam...d-headlight-v2

reason is that the lack of space in the headlight may suit this style of cooling better as it can be moulded into different shaped. Plus the Phillips LED's are meant to be strong and reliable.
      11-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #40
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
I'd be happy with an MOT opinion on the beam pattern.
+1 This is a good start.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #41
Nel2014
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

I had hid on mine a while back and could not fit the covers back on properly and had problems with condensation. While the light was brighter than halogens the light was thrown everywhere. They had the reflective coating on but still wasnt right.The LED headlights have a much better beam throw. I would want to be able to clip the covers back on properly tho before I would consider purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 04:27 AM   #42
ally_bassman
Private
Rep

Well, i've bit the bullet and ordered some taking adavantage of the black friday saving.

Just going to work out how to best fit them without causing major problems with condensation in the headlights. I'm thinking of using a rubber gromit or something similar to create a seal around the hole i'll cut in the dust cover and then squeeze the cables though it.
      11-30-2017, 05:01 AM   #43
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Rubber gromits are what I'm hoping to use. The problem I have is that you have to make the hole in the dust cover big enough for the plug to fit through, which is massive compared to the size of the cable. You also have to have two cables running through the hole - the cable coming from the back of the bulb out to the control box and then the cable from the control box back through the hole to the original plug.
The solution myself and a friend have come up with is to use a 25mm blanking gromit with two holes made in it for the cables and a cut from the edge to each hole so that the gromit can be slipped over the cables. Then we can make a 22-23mm hole in the dust cover which should be just big enough to fit the plug through. Insert the plug, slip the gromit over the cables and then fit the gromit in the hole in the dust cover. If need be a small amount of silicone may be used to seal it completely.

I went out and got all my 'Before' pics last night including the beam pattern on the mot rig. Today we are hoping to do the install, so if I have time I may do all the 'After' pics tonight and hopefully tomorrow do the write up for you guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 06:24 AM   #44
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
Rubber gromits are what I'm hoping to use. The problem I have is that you have to make the hole in the dust cover big enough for the plug to fit through, which is massive compared to the size of the cable. You also have to have two cables running through the hole - the cable coming from the back of the bulb out to the control box and then the cable from the control box back through the hole to the original plug.
The solution myself and a friend have come up with is to use a 25mm blanking gromit with two holes made in it for the cables and a cut from the edge to each hole so that the gromit can be slipped over the cables. Then we can make a 22-23mm hole in the dust cover which should be just big enough to fit the plug through. Insert the plug, slip the gromit over the cables and then fit the gromit in the hole in the dust cover. If need be a small amount of silicone may be used to seal it completely.

I went out and got all my 'Before' pics last night including the beam pattern on the mot rig. Today we are hoping to do the install, so if I have time I may do all the 'After' pics tonight and hopefully tomorrow do the write up for you guys.
Brilliant, I'm keen to hear your thoughts!
Appreciate 0