E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Brightest P&P Watts for led angel eyes?

03-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
fccs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Brightest P&P Watts for led angel eyes?

I have seen numerous led angel eye vendors and posts ranging from 10watts per bulb, up to 100watts per bulb with need of different wiring and addons. What is the brightest led angel lights people get that are simply plug and play and no fans on heatsink needed or running of new wiring for more power, etc. I was looking at 30 or 40watt angel eyes.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
waikiki35
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fccs View Post
I have seen numerous led angel eye vendors and posts ranging from 10watts per bulb, up to 100watts per bulb with need of different wiring and addons. What is the brightest led angel lights people get that are simply plug and play and no fans on heatsink needed or running of new wiring for more power, etc. I was looking at 30 or 40watt angel eyes.
I PM'd you
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Well you need to be careful what you are asking for, are you looking for actual wattage of the bulb, or the halogen wattage equivalent? The better question to ask is what is the brightest light in terms of Lumen, since that is the measure of light. There are a lot of of companies out there that sell LED Angel eyes for the E92's but only a few that actually manufacture them.

We manufacture our own products and can provide you with an honest answer about the lights. Our LUX H8 V5 angel eyes produce 1200 lumen per side, which would be the equivalent lumen output of a 60 watt halogen bulb. As well our light do not dim at all so they are a true 1200 lumen. If our lights dimmed like the stock bulbs they would be 2/3 or even 1/3 the brightness.

The lights we offer do not have any fans attached to the heatsink either, which you mention is important. Years ago we used to implement a fan with our LUX E90 V1/V2 lights. However we soon found that these did not provide as much cooling as expected and as well they were often times the first to fail with the lights, and sometimes even caused loud noises.

The LED's we are using on our current LUX H8 V5 LED's are rated to run at a nominal temperature of 85C ( 185F) for around 10,000 hours. Through our testing we have found the lights do not reach that kind of temperatures and are well within their safe limits. After 10,000 hours the performance starts to fall a bit. Even if you drove the car for 2 hours a day, everyday day of the week it would take over 13 years to reach that kind of usage.

Hopefully that will give you idea of what to look for with other bulbs.

Last edited by LuxAngelEyes; 03-04-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
fccs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

pmed. Not sure what the premarch 2007 e92 means. I have a 2007 328i e92, so I assume I just order the normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend any LED upgrades without heat sinks. You need heat sinks to disapate heat with these high powered LED's.

This shouldn't come as a concern though.

At any rate all the HPB LED Angel Eyes we offer are plug and play and dont require any cutting or extra wires.

They do have heat sinks and the do have fans. (Except on E90 LCI Halogen or E90 PRE LCI Xenon, due to space constraints).

The fans are implemented for several reasons to increase output, life and set themselves apart for the competition.

See, as a LED's get hotter output diminishes and the number 1 killer to LED's is heat.

That is why those heat sinks are important and why fans were implemented.

I'd suggest doing a some research on the current offerings by popular vendors here and researching the vendors themselves before making a purchase.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
From what our tests shows the brightest you can go without a fan is 40w each side ( 80w total).
That being said it depends which LED are used, 40w XBD LED will generate a lot more heat than 40w XML LED.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #7
fccs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So hard to decide. So many vendors and so hard to tell from pictures which is best in terms of brightness and/or price. I wouldn't mind having a fan, but I worry about reliability then for a year or a couple down the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So hard to decide. So many vendors and so hard to tell from pictures which is best in terms of brightness and/or price. I wouldn't mind having a fan, but I worry about reliability then for a year or a couple down the road.
To make your decision easier
First pick if you care about changing colour temperature ( LUX is the only option)
second pick your budget
3rd pick if you want a fan or not
How important is warranty for you?

This will narrow it down to 1 or 2 vendor depending on your budget.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 09:29 PM   #9
lilez19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

I'm in the same way, I got those white LEDs but my lights aren't as bright as others. I regret getting those and I totally forgot which bulbs were the ones I got
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 10:32 PM   #10
fccs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
To make your decision easier
First pick if you care about changing colour temperature ( LUX is the only option)
second pick your budget
3rd pick if you want a fan or not
How important is warranty for you?

This will narrow it down to 1 or 2 vendor depending on your budget.
Color temp is useful so I can choose to match the rest of my leds or not more precise, budget isn't really a issue (Don't enjoy spending $225 on leds.. but whatever if quality is good) and 3rd, I would prefer no fan. Do v5 lux's have a fan or no?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:05 PM   #11
CaroleBaskin
Big Cat Rescue
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M4CS - Lime Rock Grey

I love friendly vendor competition / marketing. I'm also in the market and will be looking at all these vendors soon.
      03-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Color temp is useful so I can choose to match the rest of my leds or not more precise, budget isn't really a issue (Don't enjoy spending $225 on leds.. but whatever if quality is good) and 3rd, I would prefer no fan. Do v5 lux's have a fan or no?
Sounds like LUX is the best option for you ( different temps, very good quality and no fan)

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They actually improve output and reliability. As LED's get hotter output diminishes the longer they are on. Also the biggest killer of LED's is heat. Just some food for thought.

Quote:
The fans actually improve reliability. I have a LED upgrade with a fan module on my car going past the 2.5 year mark. It's predecessor without the fan burnt out around a year.

Also just some interesting news, we have a lumen meter on order.

There are some claims around the internet about lumens with no actual testing, just theoretical data, so we hope to put some myths to bed shortly and do a comparison test. Should be interesting for all parties. The most interesting test we are interested in is how the output changes as LED's get hotter. It's already obvious to the naked eye but real data would be even better.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 03-05-2015 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #14
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
There are some claims around the internet about lumens with no actual testing, just theoretical data. The most interesting test we are interested in is how the output changes as LED's get hotter. It's already obvious to the naked eye but real data would be even better.
Actually there is quite a bit of real world data available whcih i can help elaborate upon. A Cree LED at 25C will be around 13-14% brighter then an LED at 85C. This is explained more below. This data is publicly accessible as well through Cree's website

Based upon a study done by the company Lutron ( who makes electrical switches and dimmers) they have done a comparison of perceived brightness versus actual brightness. http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum..._Perceived.pdf They have a simple calculation on there:
Formula: Perceived Light (%) = 100 x √(Measured Light /100)

Here are some of the calculations:
25C temperature = 100 x √(100% light) / 100) = 100% perceived light
85C Temperature = 100 x √(86% light) / 100) = 93% perceived light

a 7% difference in light will not be noticeable to the naked eye .

Last edited by LuxAngelEyes; 03-05-2015 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Actually there is quite a bit of real world data available whcih i can help elaborate upon. A Cree LED at 25C will be around 13-14% brighter then an LED at 85C. This is explained more below. This data is publicly accessible as well through Cree's website

Based upon a study done by the company Lutron ( who makes electrical switches and dimmers) they have done a comparison of perceived brightness versus actual brightness. http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum..._Perceived.pdf They have a simple calculation on there:
Formula: Perceived Light (%) = 100 x √(Measured Light /100)

Here are some of the calculations:
25C temperature = 100 x √(100% light) / 100) = 100% perceived light
85C Temperature = 100 x √(86% light) / 100) = 93% perceived light

a 7% difference in light will not be noticeable to the naked eye .
That's cool stuff but we'd actually like to see what these lights really put out in the real world as there are still many factors that change physical output.

It doesn't factor in the driver, the resistance, the voltage the vehicle runs or the physical lenses (rings) and how that changes physical output.

So where a specific LED might theoretically put out a specific lumen, how much is lost through the vehicle and the above mentioned factors and how many lumens is actually portrayed forward.

That real world data is far more important then theoretical data as no other exterior factors that diminish output are part of the equation. Those questions cant be answered by the manufacturer data of just the LED. We don't really know how much that resistance or heat plays role on these specific vehicles.

That is how I deduced many lumens figures around the internet as still theoretical data, as it doesn't tell the whole picture necessarily once you factor in all the other details.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #16
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's cool stuff but we'd actually like to see what these lights really put out in the real world as there are still many factors that change physical output.

It doesn't factor in the driver, the resistance, the voltage the vehicle runs or the physical lenses (rings) and how that changes physical output.

So where a specific LED might theoretically put out a specific lumen, how much is lost through the vehicle and the above mentioned factors and how many lumens is actually portrayed forward.

That real world data is far more important then theoretical data as no other exterior factors that diminish output are part of the equation. Those questions cant be answered by the manufacturer data of just the LED. We don't really know how much that resistance or heat plays role on these specific vehicles.

That is how I deduced many lumens figures around the internet as still theoretical data, as it doesn't tell the whole picture necessarily once you factor in all the other details.
Agreed, I was simply helping to provide an answer to your question above regarding heat differences in a given LED and the perceived brightness increase.

To expand on what you are saying above there are only 3 major factors that determine how bright the lights are: the driver, the LED's, and the positioning of the LED's . the Voltage and resistance is all handles within the driver itself.

Since all companies out there have copied our design we introduced with the LUX H8 V3 we can rule this the factor of LED Positioning. The location of the LED's impacts where distribution of the light.

This then leaves the LED's and the driver. We have already ruled out Heat as a major factor since there is 7% or less of a perceived difference in the total output. There are only a few things needed to compare here. Amperage output at all 4 operating modes of the car ( car off, Car On, headlights On, parking lights on). Lastly are the LED specs and specific bin numbers to determine their efficacy and lumen/watt.
If you know the driver current and the LED Specs you can determine the actual lumen output and get real world numbers that have meaning

If you know those numbers you can compare facts to facts.

Last edited by LuxAngelEyes; 03-05-2015 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, I was simply helping to provide an answer to your question above regarding heat differences in a given LED and the perceived brightness increase.

To expand on what you are saying above there are only 3 major factors that determine how bright the lights are: the driver, the LED's, and the positioning of the LED's . the Voltage and resistance is all handles within the driver itself.

Since all companies out there have copied our design we introduced with the LUX H8 V3 we can rule this the factor of LED Positioning. The location of the LED's impacts where distribution of the light.

This then leaves the LED's and the driver. We have already ruled out Heat as a major factor since there is 7% or less of a perceived difference in the total output. There are only a few things needed to compare here. Amperage output at all 4 operating modes of the car ( car off, Car On, headlights On, parking lights on). Lastly are the LED specs and specific bin numbers to determine their efficacy and lumen/watt.
If you know the driver current and the LED Specs you can determine the actual lumen output and get real world numbers that have meaning

If you know those numbers you can compare facts to facts.
At the end of the day we are trying to make it easier for the consumer, not harder. So expecting the consumer to go through these hoops is impractical. Sure we can do it ourselves but at the end of the day, in a controlled setting, we feel the real world data we gather will have a lot more value.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #18
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At the end of the day we are trying to make it easier for the consumer, not harder. So expecting the consumer to go through these hoops is impractical. Sure we can do it ourselves but at the end of the day, in a controlled setting, we feel the real world data we gather will have a lot more value.
That is exactly what I'm talking about. Giving the consumer the bottom line is what we are aiming to do. We are providing them with actual numbers to compare to make informed decision
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #19
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
pmed. Not sure what the premarch 2007 e92 means. I have a 2007 328i e92, so I assume I just order the normal?
Thanks fccs for the order as well. We will get you the tracking number for these in a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
From what our tests shows the brightest you can go without a fan is 40w each side ( 80w total).
That being said it depends which LED are used, 40w XBD LED will generate a lot more heat than 40w XML LED.
Quote:
Thanks fccs for the order as well. We will get you the tracking number for these in a few hours.
I should get commission for getting you the sale LUX

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #21
fccs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

ahaha thanks, you guys are fantastic
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #22
fccs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am also looking for some led sidemarkers if anyone here has those? ahah just can't decide on amber or white
Appreciate 0