E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N47 318D 2010 Engine Sound

10-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Archa
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: 2010 318D M SPORT

Hi guys, I've been chasing a noise from the engine in my car now for a while with no success. I noticed it after the crank pulley (Vibration dampener) sheared itself from the crank end. After replacing this I noticed the noise which I thought was maybe a bearing failure on one or more of the aux pulleys, but after running the engine for a minute with the belt off I've found the noise is still present. I've thought it could be possible turbo bearing but in the video you will hear the noise is much more noticeable on the other side of the engine to the turbo so I'm thinking this is now unlikely. Now onto the thing I'm dreading most... timing chain, I've listened to countless videos of N47's with timing chain issues and also plenty of engines after they have been fixed and I can't help but feel mine sounds like the "fixed" videos. Am I chasing a noise that isn't there? Is it just the running noise of the engine that I'm just kidding myself is a problem?

Thanks for taking the time to read this/reply,
Paul.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

Did you install an OEM - Corteco damper or a compatible ? Chain noise is almost never heard on idle...between 1300-1500 rpm's. Mileage of your car ? If you have Inpa or Rheingold do check your injectors value.
Appreciate 0