E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 2006 330d power and economy issues

01-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #23
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutak View Post
Hi, got a 330d, e92 and with an outside temperature of -2 degrees it took 3 miles of urban driving and 25 mins of motorway driving (70mph ish) to get to 82 degrees? Is this normal or should I take it to the dealers for replacement thermostats.
Thanks
Last time I checked mine too about that too. Maybe someone can shed some light on it for both of us
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #24
blutak
Rep
Drives: 330D e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-danGT View Post
I have a 08 330d auto, i have had it two weeks just over, and i think its bad of fuel. but its getting better, i think its my driving style as i have never owned an auto. I measured it tank to tank it managed 31mpg and on the i drive did 30mpg, probably 50/50 town and dual carriageway driving.

I have got low coolant temp also, 79c is about all it manages no matter how fast or slow i drive, so its booked in for AUC to sort my low coolant temp. Also noticed mine after a 20-30 mile drive pulling up to a stop it misfires slightly and the rev counter bounces about abit. Hopefully everything is linked and bmw find a fault which helps my mpg
what did AUC say? I noticed my 330d this week had started bouncing on idle, (slightly misfiring).
I went to Williams BMW in Manchester today and explained that my temps didnt go above 80 regardless of driving style or duration and they just rung me back saying they've tested it and the thermostats are operating correctly for the current climate?

I thought the whole point of a thermostat was to maintain the temperature of the engine regardless of current climate? Any ideas?? They did however say i had a faulty glow plug control unit which will be replaced under warranty.

Does anyone know if 90 degrees C is definitely the operating temperature?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutak View Post
what did AUC say? I noticed my 330d this week had started bouncing on idle, (slightly misfiring).
I went to Williams BMW in Manchester today and explained that my temps didnt go above 80 regardless of driving style or duration and they just rung me back saying they've tested it and the thermostats are operating correctly for the current climate?

I thought the whole point of a thermostat was to maintain the temperature of the engine regardless of current climate? Any ideas?? They did however say i had a faulty glow plug control unit which will be replaced under warranty.

Does anyone know if 90 degrees C is definitely the operating temperature?
Don't these garages talk rubbish. A thermostat that is rated at 88C means that is the lowest temperature an engine will run, when there is a decent heat soak in the engine and on the run.

Garages often "test" (for lack of a better word) in a workshop, with no air cooling and they get high ECT. Doesn't mean a thing, on a complex cooling circuit, where there are secondary flows such as with the EGR thermostat.

Look at this topic.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797103

I posted the following just yesterday.

Quote:
The main thermostat is rated at an opening temperature of 88C, hence the 88 - 92C working range we see in typical use. The same thermostat, as used in the Rover BMW M47R 2.0d engine is rated at 88C +/- 5C tolerance. BMW don't seem to declare that data for the BMW models.

EGR thermostat has twin stage elements, first stage 70C opening temperature, with restricted flow, and full flow (second stage) at 90C, to follow the main thermostat opening temperature. Otherwise (as another post states) the faulty EGR thermostat flow by-passes the main thermostat control and chills the engine, and/or prevents efficient warm up and optimum ECT.

If an EGR thermostat opens pre main thermostat (88C), assuming the main thermostat is still in tolerance, the engine will not reach peak ECT in normal use. Although it may still exceed 90C during a regeneration, as there is typically much more heat in the engine.

HighlandPete
A 330d will run 90C+ no issues at all, in sub zero temperatures at a steady cruise of about 60mph, once up to temperature. All it requires are thermostats which are working in range.

The only issue with running diesels in colder temperatures is the warm up time, and a little drop off in ECT if the engine loadings are so low there is no spare heat to assist the heat up. Such as on a long downhill overrun. But constant cruising will have plenty of heat to regulate above main thermostat opening temperature, hence typical 88 - 92C ECT on the run.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

My car is booked in for this Monday coming, I spoke to a service advisor in person. Told him that it struggles to get above 80c after 30-40mimutes driving at 70-80mph. He immediately said how do you know the temperature, to which I said on the dash through the hidden menu he seamed shocked I knew this information.
There has been a odd misfiring when I have been on a run or a hard ish drive. Once I come to rest with my foot on the brake it hunts and the rev gauge bounces and the car shakes slightly.
Two other issues have developed since, one Being the battery went flat after the ignition was left on for 10-15 minutes tops, I turned the heating unit to off and turned radio down. So can't understand that happening that quickly! Must have a faulty battery.
Final problem was the back brakes squealing, well I have noticed that its my hand brake causing it. If I apply it they take it off and drive the brakes squeal, I noticed because while pulling the lever up it had loads of slack.
Hopefully bmw sort all my problems out for me, if they don't I will take my car to another dealership for repair!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #27
blutak
Rep
Drives: 330D e92

Quote:
There has been a odd misfiring when I have been on a run or a hard ish drive. Once I come to rest with my foot on the brake it hunts and the rev gauge bounces and the car shakes slightly.
Thats what i have noticed but not sure if there was anything wrong with mine. Good luck with the thermostats mate, i took mine in and they wouldnt change them. Might try pestering them again...

Please let us know what they say.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #28
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Mines the same story.. 20 minute cruise up the motorway at 60mph still only made early 70's.

I've ordered the new stats - £75

I've got a friendly BMW tech to fit them out of work and ill report back!

I'm hoping economy improves slightly, seeing around 28/29mpg with a heavy foot and its very cold (my last diesel dropped 3-4mpg in the winter) which tbh I don't think is too bad for the performance. I'm more bothered about any potential effects it may have on the dpf.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:23 AM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
Mines the same story.. 20 minute cruise up the motorway at 60mph still only made early 70's.

I'm hoping economy improves slightly, seeing around 28/29mpg with a heavy foot and its very cold (my last diesel dropped 3-4mpg in the winter) which tbh I don't think is too bad for the performance. I'm more bothered about any potential effects it may have on the dpf.
Good move to replace, as you are on the critical range for DPF issues.

Many with that sort of ECT do get improved mpg, but as you say, a drop in winter is normal anyway. Typical to have a 10% fall in mpg figures, even more if we have a really hard winter.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Took my car in today and got not alot from bmw as expected.

1) misfire at idle after a hard drive. No fault found.
2) engine coolant temperature too low, coolant temp is at 96.5c to which I said I only ever get 80c on a run so your doing that static! So no wounder, he said well that's the test so it's passed. Nice one!
3) hand brake cables stuff in the cold, again no fault but temp has risen slightly from when it happened more frequent.
4) battery low efficiency, the current discharge is 61% and has been as low as 51% over the last 4 days. Battery needs a good charge, so they are doing that over night. I don't think they have tested the battery just checked discharge with battery sensor.

So to conclude bmw are as useful as ever, first bmw I have bought and to be honest will possibly be my last. Not impressed with service at all. Unless something goes wrong and I'm impressed with the standard again!
I can sympathise with the misfire/hand brake cables as intermittent faults are a nightmare for me also(work for Mercedes hgv) but the battery and coolant temp not impressed. I will do thermostat myself now it's only £40 so will just do it. As for the battery I have decided to wait until it goes flat and call bmw assist, that way he can see it flat and diagnose it for me.

Last point I got a mini for a courtesy car! From a saloon 330d! That was a kick in the nuts! Not even a cooper s which might have made it better lol
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #31
ariskar
/ / / M
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d Manual

Garage List
2006 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Quote:
Took my car in today and got not alot from bmw as expected.

1) misfire at idle after a hard drive. No fault found.
2) engine coolant temperature too low, coolant temp is at 96.5c to which I said I only ever get 80c on a run so your doing that static! So no wounder, he said well that's the test so it's passed. Nice one!
3) hand brake cables stuff in the cold, again no fault but temp has risen slightly from when it happened more frequent.
4) battery low efficiency, the current discharge is 61% and has been as low as 51% over the last 4 days. Battery needs a good charge, so they are doing that over night. I don't think they have tested the battery just checked discharge with battery sensor.

So to conclude bmw are as useful as ever, first bmw I have bought and to be honest will possibly be my last. Not impressed with service at all. Unless something goes wrong and I'm impressed with the standard again!
I can sympathise with the misfire/hand brake cables as intermittent faults are a nightmare for me also(work for Mercedes hgv) but the battery and coolant temp not impressed. I will do thermostat myself now it's only £40 so will just do it. As for the battery I have decided to wait until it goes flat and call bmw assist, that way he can see it flat and diagnose it for me.

Last point I got a mini for a courtesy car! From a saloon 330d! That was a kick in the nuts! Not even a cooper s which might have made it better lol
painfull...
Appreciate 0