E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Void warranty????

03-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
bklynbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Montego Blue

Question Void warranty????

Hi Guys,

My new Montego Blue E90 335i is on its way over from germany. Fully loaded (only option i left out was the active cruise control - what a waste if you ask me)

Anyway here is my question. I want to purchase 19 inch CSL hyberblack RIMS and possibly get a Borla exchaust. For those of you that have already made these two changes have you had trouble getting your car serviced by BMW? Have they said that you have VOIDED your warranty by changing RIMS and exhaust? The last thing i want to do is void my warranty on a 52K dollar car.

Thanks,AT
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

No it shouldn't. It can void your exhaust warranty. If you search around a lot of threads on this. It all comes down to the stealership... errr um dealership.

Mine I use when I'm home in NY are really chill with me because I know the manager

when im in Boston, the one i use here is a lil more conservative, so I just threaten to kill them if they give me an issue

you see, depends

LOL
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

It won't void your warranty. My stealer sells rims, exhuast, etc. In order for any warranty work to be declined, the dealer must prove the aftermarket part was the root cause of the problem.
      03-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
It won't void your warranty. My stealer sells rims, exhuast, etc. In order for any warranty work to be declined, the dealer must prove the aftermarket part was the root cause of the problem.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
bklynbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, this really helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
bklynbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Any suggestions on an exhuast system? I don't want anything too loud - more interested in something that is a it on the quiet side but will give me that performace boost.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

I'm sure a lil' searching won't hurt.
      03-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
They have to prove.. which they will try lol
      03-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
bklynbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah - I heard a store on a guy put 22inch rims on his 5 series and when he went in for brake change they told him he voided the warranty on those brakes because the RIMS were too heavy. I guess it all comes down to finding a cool service center. My dealership is in brooklyn (Life Quality BWM)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
bklynbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As for exhaust i'm surrent aiming for the RennArt - just wanted to see what other exhaust systems you guys like out there. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
BTW, on the exhaust warranty, if you're thinking Borla they have a 1,000,000 mile warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
choopy
Juicy Booty NomNoMnom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3 Vert/2005 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mo Murda View Post
I'm sure a lil' searching won't hurt.
god damn for real guys, have many posts have started with..VOIDED Warranty questions blah blah fuckin blah, STFA. please
      03-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

basically, if you get an aftermarket part to replace something, anything relates to that part's warranty will be voided. (worst case that is)

they cant void engine warranty for having a tint. something like that
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynbmw View Post
Yeah - I heard a store on a guy put 22inch rims on his 5 series and when he went in for brake change they told him he voided the warranty on those brakes because the RIMS were too heavy.
That was their way of calling him an ass for putting on 22"s
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #15
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by choopy View Post
god damn for real guys, have many posts have started with..VOIDED Warranty questions blah blah fuckin blah, STFA. please
I wonder what the A in STFA stands for...
      03-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #16
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

here's what's stated in the BMW owners manual and it tells people all they need to know about modding ANYTHING on their car...

"This warranty does not apply to the following:

...Modification of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which result in damage to the other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks, and wind noise. "
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #17
FutureE90Ok
Rep
Drives: e30 325is, e90 335i (sept 08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
here's what's stated in the BMW owners manual and it tells people all they need to know about modding ANYTHING on their car...

"This warranty does not apply to the following:

...Modification of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which result in damage to the other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks, and wind noise. "

Thats a lil tough to understand... is this a good example in lamens *sp* terms?? You put a big-ass stereo system in your e90 335i, and it happens to fry the battery/alt system which then causes the electronic water pump to malfunction/fail and that causes say the motor to blow...ya shit is voided b/c your dumbass put an insanely powerful system in without upgrading the battery system? I wouldn't do that but I've worked in a couple upscale dealerships..so you would't believe half the shit I see/seen.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #18
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureE90Ok View Post
Thats a lil tough to understand... is this a good example in lamens *sp* terms?? You put a big-ass stereo system in your e90 335i, and it happens to fry the battery/alt system which then causes the electronic water pump to malfunction/fail and that causes say the motor to blow...ya shit is voided b/c your dumbass put an insanely powerful system in without upgrading the battery system? I wouldn't do that but I've worked in a couple upscale dealerships..so you would't believe half the shit I see/seen.
it's easy to understand..if you change anything on the car that alters it from it's original engineering and/or operating specifications then you void the warranty. If you change anything that doesn't alters it's original engineering and/or operating specifications but it causes damage to the other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks, and wind noise then you void the warranty.

Basically what BMW is saying is that they are warrantying the car as it came from the factory. If you're worried about the warranty, don't change anything and have all service work done by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 06:18 AM   #19
TambourineMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

I stole this wording from the sticky at the top of this sub-forum, but each BMW forum should have something like this as a a sticky and everyone should read it - you don't even need to search:

Per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act from back in the 70s: Mods do not in themselves void the warranty. However, say a part associated to the mod fails; if the manufacturer can prove there is a relationship between the two, they are allowed to void warranty on that part of the car.

For example, if you put some blacklines on your car and the next day the engine drops out of the car, the manufacturer would have to prove the blacklines had a direct effect to make the engine fall out of the car. If they cannot prove that, then your warranty is still intact.

On the flipside, if you add some engine modifications or engine management modifications and the engine explodes, then the manufacturer would have a valid case to void your engine warranty.

The loophole to this is if the new vehicle warranty specifically and clearly states that the addition of a certain mod will void the warranty ahead of time, then they can void it sight unseen.

In the end there is a balance, for any mod you addon, you must be aware that you are risking that portion of the car and therefore its not the manufacturers responsibility to warranty that part of the car you've decided to change. But this act does limit greedy/shady manufacturers from coping out of their responsibilities for the unmodified parts of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #20
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynbmw View Post
Yeah - I heard a store on a guy put 22inch rims on his 5 series and when he went in for brake change they told him he voided the warranty on those brakes because the RIMS were too heavy. I guess it all comes down to finding a cool service center. My dealership is in brooklyn (Life Quality BWM)
That is definitely NOT a cool service center, in fact its the worst.

I too live in Brooklyn and even if all my four tires were flat, fuel pump failed, and my engine was blowing steam, AND I was outside their service shop on 4th Avenue... I would still have my car towed elsewhere.

STAY AWAY! You've been warned.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #21
CRZ410S
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Vert

Call the dealership where you get service (and maybe another close dealer) and see what they have to say. Ultimately, they are the ones who will be making the decision!
      03-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #22
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZ410S View Post
Call the dealership where you get service (and maybe another close dealer) and see what they have to say. Ultimately, they are the ones who will be making the decision!
It's be more efficient if you call up the SA you always get your car serviced with. Even if the other SAs say its fine, if your SA voids your warranty, you can't do anything about it.