E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How to remove e92 chrome window trim for painting/wrapping

08-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

How to remove e92 chrome window trim for painting/wrapping

Hi guys - I've seen a few threads of people saying they have done this but none say how to actually do it.

How can I remove the chrome window trim of my e92 to first attempt a wrap and if that fails paint it gloss black? Is it easy to remove?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
'V'
Captain
Rep
Drives: ~Carbon black F36

The big piece on the top is attached by clips and pulls off (start from the middle)

There are 3 pieces on the bottom. The one under the back window slides out push it towards the front of the car.

The one under the door window also slides out - push it towards the back of the car.

For the next small piece under the mirror I would suggest removing the mirror, 5 minute task!

It's a doddle to do but I would also suggest you get some new clips from the stealers as they will likely break

I wrapped mine and to be honest turned out pretty good. I will be doing it again when I wrap the whole car but it does look much better than the chrome.

Have fun
'V'
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by V
The big piece on the top is attached by clips and pulls off (start from the middle)

There are 3 pieces on the bottom. The one under the back window slides out push it towards the front of the car.

The one under the door window also slides out - push it towards the back of the car.

For the next small piece under the mirror I would suggest removing the mirror, 5 minute task!

It's a doddle to do but I would also suggest you get some new clips from the stealers as they will likely break

I wrapped mine and to be honest turned out pretty good. I will be doing it again when I wrap the whole car but it does look much better than the chrome.

Have fun
'V'
Cheers mate really useful ... Managed to get the rear bottom parts off but the front seem to be stuck - any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
'V'
Captain
Rep
Drives: ~Carbon black F36

It will slide off. Mine was difficult initially.
I managed to get a very thin blade in the spilt between the 2 pieces on the door that loosened the longer section, just be very careful not to slip cause you'll either scratch the chrome (I wasn't bothered about that), scratch your paintwork on the door, or stab yourself and have back holiday Monday in A&E
Appreciate 0