E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Calling All Cyclists! Post Pics Of Your Machine, Or An Event You've Participated In!

05-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #89
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Not an official event, or an event at all, but I like to ride up here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #90
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Anyone doing the Copper Triangle this year? I think I'll go up this year, I'll miss the Iron Horse this weekend so would love to get some CO mountains in later.
http://coppertriangle.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #91
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
It is a nice get away. We got in the thursday before the race and stayed until the Friday after the race. Seems like that's the MO for a lot of racers as we kept running into them all over the island.

We use Tribike Transport when ever we can. It's just too easy. And if you get busted by the airlines they charge as much as $150 each way. So Tribike is about the same cost and you don't have to break your bike down for shipping. You take it to a local pick up bike shop about a week or so before the race. Then just pick it up the day before the race at the Tribike tent. Drop it off to Tribike after the race and it's home about a week or so after the race. The only prep for your bike is the shop removing and putting your pedals on. They are insured and you can ship your transition bag/gear with your bike. (no wetsuit packing for the cold swims)

I'm the official photographer when we go to races. So no, i don't participate. Her and her friends talked me into doing a sprint once. They all thought i was going to get addicted. No dice. Did the sprint and while it was fun, i was not addicted in any way. I like to bike and swim for fun, planting my ass on a bike for a 50 mile ride is not fun for me unless it's on a mountain and down hill the majority of the way. But her and her friends ride at least 40 every Saturday and then sit on the trainer for a couple of hours during the week. Doesn't look like fun to this guy.
Thanks for information as I have always brought my bike with me via driving. I have eyed a few events that would require a flight so it is good to know. In fact, I may use them for the Miamiman 70.3 down in Miami in November as my schedule is tight with my daughters XC season; a race the day before.

It is hit or miss on getting the bug. I did my first Sprint having never done an long open water swim, the 19 mile bike section was in Blue Ridge, GA and was on a MTB and 2/3 of the run was uphill (leaving the marina and finish in downtown Blue Ridge). It was brutal as my first but I loved it and immediately bought a road bike. While others I know did one and enjoyed it but it was not their cup of tea.

Now, one of my 9 year old twin daughters is interested and entering a race with me. She will do one of the kids Tri's soon but first, she is beginning with an adult race. It will be my first relay with me doing the swim and bike and her doing the run. She is already talking smack about me not riding or swimming enough and I had better not let her down. Granted, she is running 5k's in the 22's now (might break into the 21’s by then as it is the tail end of track season), so can back it up. Our goal is to demolish all other relay teams.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #92
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Not an official event, or an event at all, but I like to ride up here.
Hell yeah! I bet you do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Thanks for information as I have always brought my bike with me via driving. I have eyed a few events that would require a flight so it is good to know. In fact, I may use them for the Miamiman 70.3 down in Miami in November as my schedule is tight with my daughters XC season; a race the day before.

It is hit or miss on getting the bug. I did my first Sprint having never done an long open water swim, the 19 mile bike section was in Blue Ridge, GA and was on a MTB and 2/3 of the run was uphill (leaving the marina and finish in downtown Blue Ridge). It was brutal as my first but I loved it and immediately bought a road bike. While others I know did one and enjoyed it but it was not their cup of tea.

Now, one of my 9 year old twin daughters is interested and entering a race with me. She will do one of the kids Tri's soon but first, she is beginning with an adult race. It will be my first relay with me doing the swim and bike and her doing the run. She is already talking smack about me not riding or swimming enough and I had better not let her down. Granted, she is running 5k's in the 22's now (might break into the 21’s by then as it is the tail end of track season), so can back it up. Our goal is to demolish all other relay teams.
Miami man was my wife's first Tri. If you haven't done Miami Man already and like it for some reason. Or aren't going for a secondary reason; i'd suggest finding another half to do.

The relay sounds like it's going to be a blast. Better get swimming and riding!
      05-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #93
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hell yeah! I bet you do!
Miami man was my wife's first Tri. If you haven't done Miami Man already and like it for some reason. Or aren't going for a secondary reason; i'd suggest finding another half to do.
That will be my fourth half IM race and should be a blast since it is flat. I did one last year that the turn around on the bike was on top of Fort Mountain just west of Ellijay, GA. That was a 6.5 mile mountain climb. Of the last 6 miles on the bike, four were pretty decent climbs as well. Oh, and there was no flat section of the half marathon run.

I opted out of that one this year.

I just can't get enough mileage in, or desire, for a full IM. Doubt my old knees would be too happy about that either...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #94
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That will be my fourth half IM race and should be a blast since it is flat. I did one last year that the turn around on the bike was on top of Fort Mountain just west of Ellijay, GA. That was a 6.5 mile mountain climb. Of the last 6 miles on the bike, four were pretty decent climbs as well. Oh, and there was no flat section of the half marathon run.

I opted out of that one this year.

I just can't get enough mileage in, or desire, for a full IM. Doubt my old knees would be too happy about that either...
Those long climes are torture!

I was only saying because we've known several people who have signed up for Miamiman thinking that it was going to be a beautiful setting. It's not. The course was not near the water and not in a particularly nice part of town. The swim (when we were there, not sure if it's changed) was 2 loops in a retention pond that they called a lake and the bike course is straight roads with several 90 degree turns through some crappy neighborhoods and farm land. My wife said people were driving by them yelling obscenities at the racers because of the traffic back ups. The run was the best part because it goes through the zoo and is a nice setting. However, the run offered little to no shade and you have to watch out for the zoo patrons walking around. It's not a bad race, but there are several more that are better. I did win a bike pump from one of the vendors for guessing the correct weight of a bowl of coffee beans. Score!

I think our Miami man experience would have been better if we expected all of that rather than thinking it was going to be through South beach or something. We know better now and scope all race courses prior to signing up with google earth.

The first race she signed up for was IM Coeur d'Alene cause her brother talked her into it. (he ended up not doing it after all) Miami man was held at the right time in her training program to do a half which is how that became her first Tri.

She likes the half distance best and so do i. (It's tough spectating for 11 hours!) She does a full every other year and sprints and oly's on the off years. I think she does 2 or 3 halfs each year regardless. Last year it was IM Brazil and next year it'll likely be IM Austria because it's not hot, flat and fast.... I'm trying to talk her in to IM Nice though!
      05-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #95
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was only saying because we've known several people who have signed up for Miamiman thinking that it was going to be a beautiful setting. It's not. The course was not near the water and not in a particularly nice part of town. The swim (when we were there, not sure if it's changed) was 2 loops in a retention pond that they called a lake and the bike course is straight roads with several 90 degree turns through some crappy neighborhoods and farm land. My wife said people were driving by them yelling obscenities at the racers because of the traffic back ups. The run was the best part because it goes through the zoo and is a nice setting. However, the run offered little to no shade and you have to watch out for the zoo patrons walking around. It's not a bad race, but there are several more that are better. I did win a bike pump from one of the vendors for guessing the correct weight of a bowl of coffee beans. Score!
Thanks again for the information. I was pretty familiar with the course and saw there was nothing spectacular with it. And yes, I had heard you have to watch out for the patrons. The benefit of this race is that I can make sales calls with my sales engineer while down there. But again, it is nice to have first hand information.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #96
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again for the information. I was pretty familiar with the course and saw there was nothing spectacular with it. And yes, I had heard you have to watch out for the patrons. The benefit of this race is that I can make sales calls with my sales engineer while down there. But again, it is nice to have first hand information.
Ah, the secondary reason and ability to race tax free! It'll be good and fast! Have you done Agusta? It's one of my wife's favorites. She loves rolling hills.
      05-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #97
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Have you done Agusta? It's one of my wife's favorites. She loves rolling hills.
Nope, although I should considering the proximity. It has typically fallen during our school systems fall break. And we are normally on vacation then. But I just looked and see it is a week later this year. I may go ahead and register. Thanks for mentioning as I had forgotten about it due to the typical overlap.

I have heard the swim is fast as it is with the current. When I did the Beach to Battleship half IM in Wilmington, NC, the tide was coming in so the times were fast. I swam the 1.2 miles in 24 minutes. There was also a full IM and the lead swimmer finished the 2.4 miles in 38 minutes.
Appreciate 0