E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Increased battery voltage warning after inline lpfp booster pump install

11-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
PGZ11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335XI

Increased battery voltage warning after inline lpfp booster pump install

just want to see if this is caused by the splicing into the lpfp wiring? I recall seeing some mention of if but couldn't find it again

Also got a awd / DSC warning first 2 starts but gone on 3rd. Hope that is just from disconnecting the battery.

Car runs fine so far. Any info appreciated! thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGZ11 View Post
just want to see if this is caused by the splicing into the lpfp wiring? I recall seeing some mention of if but couldn't find it again

Also got a awd / DSC warning first 2 starts but gone on 3rd. Hope that is just from disconnecting the battery.

Car runs fine so far. Any info appreciated! thanks
Just to confirm your car is an n54 correct since your posted in the n54 section lol. I have the e85 walbro pump and the inline pump installed in my car and never got any increased battery voltage warning. Usually if the voltage of the battery is increasing it means the alternator's regulator is broken and it's overcharging your battery. If this is the case you need to replace your alternator ASAP if you let the voltage increase you risk damage to other components. It could also be the battery allowing it's self to overcharge.

I'd suggest that you first take a volt meter to your battery terminals in the trunk and read the voltage when the car is off and when the car is on. If the voltage of the battery is over 12.5v it is probably bad already. Then read the voltage when the car is on, if its reading more than 14.5v then your alternator went bad.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
PGZ11
Private First Class
Rep

hmmm thanks for the info. I understand what you are saying about it being an alternator issue possibly but I still have to wonder if its related to disconnecting the battery for the install or other install related issue. No problems or warnings before but immediately after the inline pump install. I'll check the voltage and see what that reads. thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGZ11 View Post
hmmm thanks for the info. I understand what you are saying about it being an alternator issue possibly but I still have to wonder if its related to disconnecting the battery for the install or other install related issue. No problems or warnings before but immediately after the inline pump install. I'll check the voltage and see what that reads. thanks
Lol, i understand what your saying as well but think of it this way. Installing an extra fuel pump would decrease the battery voltage not increase it so unless you bought a fusion/nuclear fuel pump and its supplying power to your car i can't see how it could increase the voltage. Now if you had a decreased voltage warning that would be different. It could just be a big fluke that it happened after you installed it. It might be the battery as well.

I'd start by checking voltage and if it all checks out fine then I'd delete the codes and checking to see if they come back. Its possible that it was just a computer glitch or something if it doesn't come back.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
PGZ11
Private First Class
Rep

yea prob the battery - 55k . gonna check it and see. possibly a fuse? but doesn't make much sense. at least I am pretty sure the pump us working haha. Can only see Cobb codes but doesn't show any. I don't have BT or other cable to check others
Appreciate 0