E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > ZPC / PC / which Pads?

10-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
cisach
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe BSM/CR

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
ZPC / PC / which Pads?

I'm picking up a PC from a guy on Craigslist today - not sure what it's going to come with but the picture only shows the machine itself.

I know I may need a weight and a backing plate... can someone help me out on the pads? I'm done some research but it's...A lot.

I currently use all the Ziano stuff. I have some ZPC but have never used it. My routine currenthly has been wash/clay/wash/ and then Z5 Z2 Z6 etc...

My Black Sapphire isn't in terrible shape but in the direct sun you can def. see swirls and spider webs. There's also some oxidation? -- Right under the side view mirrors even after a good washing I have these white hazy streaks going downwards... I also have some stubborn water spots from spinklers that are fed with recycled water ( never making that parking mistake agian)

I’m looking to give the car the TLC I should have given when I purchased it 8 months ago.

Since I’m starting out, I don’t’ want to get too aggressive ( I know there’s better stuff out there than ZPC) so I think I need white and maybe orange pads?
Z2/Z5 I’ll do by hand.

Questions:

What pad (color/make) should I use ?
What size?
Do I need anything after ZPC and before sealant?
Wash/Clay/Wash/ZPC/???/Z2,5,6
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

For the record I used ZPC for the first time, it does not take away swirls

However, Z5 and Z2 fill them in nicely.

I use black pad with Z5 and Z2

for ZPC...orange is better at least.

Blue pad is useless, I have it...its too soft.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Backing plates

The backing plate directly transfers the kinetic friction (energy) of the machine to the paint surface via the pad. The larger the backing plate (in relation to the pad) the greater the surface contact area so less energy is wasted. The foam pad will absorb the amount of orbital movement produced by the machine polisher unless sufficient pressure is applied to compress the pad (to approx 50%). Using a properly sized backing plate allows for the equal distribution of pressure across the entire face area of the pad; making it more efficient; as a backing plate only compresses the area of the pad that is directly underneath it.

If the backing plate is too small for the pad, you reduce the effective contact surface area of the pad that is able to polish effectively, t here is also a possibility that the backing plate will ‘cut’ the foam causing it to fail? Allow a maximum of ¼-inch as a safety margin (i.e. 6.5 -inch pad- 6-inch backing plate, 5.5-inch pad -4.75-inch backing plate) this will allow the maximum pad surface contact area, and equal pad compression over the pad contact surface ensuring efficient polishing

A hard and inflexible backing plate will affect the performance of a foam pad; by making it slightly more aggressive (stiffness) and may cause swirl marks. The inflexible plastic on many backing plates has zero give and therefore will not adjust to the contoured body panels. The exception would be a plate bonded to a thick layer of dense cellular foam.

Lake County Foam Pads Colours used (most to least abrasive)

Purple Cutting Foam- Firm, high strength, most aggressive foam for cutting

Yellow Cutting Foam - Firm, high strength foam for cutting

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high strength, European Pre-polymer foam for light cutting and scratch removal, produces semi-gloss finish

Green Heavy Polishing Foam - Semi-firm, high strength foam for light cutting or heavier polishing

• White Polishing Foam - Semi-firm, high strength foam for polishing

Black Finishing Foam- Soft, high strength foam for waxing or glazing

Blue Final Finishing Foam - Very soft, high strength foam for paint cleaners and one-step polishes

Red Final Finishing Foam - Extra soft, high strength foam for one-step polishes, sealants and jewelling

Gold Ultra Finishing FoamExceedingly soft, high strength for burnishing (jewelling) softest foam available
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

I use a white Lake County pad with ZPC. And no you don't need to use anything in between ZPC and Z2/Z5.

ZPC is a very mild abrasive and you may find it takes some work if you have very deep swirls.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
cisach
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
can someone recommend me backing plate?

I'm gonna get 2 LC WHITE pads... and 1 orange? (or green?)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I use a white Lake County pad with ZPC. And no you don't need to use anything in between ZPC and Z2/Z5.

ZPC is a very mild abrasive and you may find it takes some work if you have very deep swirls.
+1

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
cisach
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
+1

Thanks, I'm new to all this but I think the swirls I have are fairly light.

I don't mind the "wasted" time/energy if I use ZPC and find I need a more agressive pad/polish as I'll build on skill and learning to use the PC/polish etc....right?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Weaselboy
Major
Rep

Sure... ZPC sure won't do any harm. If it turns out not to be enough, you can always go to a more aggressive product afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Get the accompanying velcro backing plate for the pad size you get. I have 1 orange, 2 white, 2 black, 2 blue and 2 red. Keep in mind you never want to use the same pad with different polishes hence the combination of pads. A lot of people think the reds are useless but I use them to apply sealant and wax; the others are for polishes and one blue for glaze.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
cisach
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Okay thinking of going with 5 inch megs backing plate with

LC Pads
White (2)
Blue
Gray
Orange
Tangerine

what do you think? Do i need both orange/tangerine?

I'm planning on using z2/z5 by hand ( no need for black/red?)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
Weaselboy
Major
Rep

I think you are getting more than you need. All I have ever used is white pad for ZPC (or other abrasive product) and blue to apply Z2. That's it.

I would also go with a six inch backing plate to cover things a little more quickly, but if you prefer five inch... your call. If you get the six inch backing plate, make sure you get the six inch counter weight to go with it or it will vibrate.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Buffers-C20/
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

No need for both Orange and Tangerine. I use the ones with the least cut first and since you wont be mixing different products the redundant pads are not needed.
As far as 5 vs 6, yes you cover faster with the bigger pad but the trade off is small hard to get areas are tough with the bigger pads to get it to set flat and not get edges. I'm sure it's far less of an issue for pros but for me, who does maybe 10 details a year I still ike the smaller pads and piece of mind in tight spaces.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
cisach
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I thought I'd read 5 inch backing plate with 6.5 inch pads was ok....I hope so b/c I ordered the 6.5 pads and a 5 inch plate.. Crap

Last edited by cisach; 11-03-2010 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisach View Post
I thought I'd read 5 inch backing plate with 6.5 inch pads was ok....I hope so b/c I ordered the 6.5 pads and a 5 inch plate.. Crap
No worries, LC states you can use the 5" plate wiht 5.5" or bigger pads. Usually 5" plate 5.5" pads 6" etc.. Only thing is be aware of even pressure on the whole pad surface since you'll have a little extra pad past the plate edge. Converse of big pad small area, just be aware as even consistent pressure is best when applying and working product. Also different size plate different size counterwieght as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
cisach
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks,

I never seen a pad in person or what the exact contruction is but could I trim it down, or should I not even worry about it. The used PC came with a 6inch backing plate (orignal) but it looks to be in pretty rough shape...

I could send them back and exchange them for the small shipping charges if that's best...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
cisach
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I think you are getting more than you need. All I have ever used is white pad for ZPC (or other abrasive product) and blue to apply Z2. That's it.

I would also go with a six inch backing plate to cover things a little more quickly, but if you prefer five inch... your call. If you get the six inch backing plate, make sure you get the six inch counter weight to go with it or it will vibrate.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Buffers-C20/
Thanks for the reply, It just seemd a better deal to get a combo ..plus I'll likely do a few other cars as well so some of the other pads may come in handy..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #17
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisach View Post
Thanks,

I never seen a pad in person or what the exact contruction is but could I trim it down, or should I not even worry about it. The used PC came with a 6inch backing plate (orignal) but it looks to be in pretty rough shape...

I could send them back and exchange them for the small shipping charges if that's best...
I would not cut the pads, might ruin or expose the density to the foam. Just be carefull not to put too much pressure straight down the middle as the middle of the pad will be tighter to the surface than the outside. Did you get the correct counterwieght as one for a 5" plate vs 6" plate is different I believe. Again not a deal breaker just extra vibration and such you need to watch.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #18
cisach
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
The used PC i bought has a weight is for 5 inch plate. It came with a 6 inch baking plate though ( in very rough ( but usable shape ) I had wanted to get a new one and thats how I ended up with it.

So I do have a 5 and 6 inch baking plate, but only one weight. ( can the weights be purchased locally somewhere?)
Appreciate 0