E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ASR Turbo Upgrade

04-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #23
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
New CHRA, upgraded turbine and compressor wheels and WG rattle fix everything multiplied by 2 gets the total cost of twin turbo upgrade to $2800. Not bad though for some +150 whp.

I love how you and a few others are letting your mouths run loose.

Rob has not even tested his turbos. Where in the hell are you getting this +150whp figure from???

From the sounds of it, Robs turbos seem like a great bargin but until they are tested first by HIM and dyno proven you all should pump your brakes.

I just love how 10 people have got on the "waiting" list, without seeing any real data.

The real interesting thing will be to see if the JB3 can handle upgraded turbos. From what shiv has said in the past, the JB3 won't be able to do so.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #24
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Unhappy

Quote:
New CHRA, upgraded turbine and compressor wheels and WG rattle fix everything multiplied by 2 gets the total cost of twin turbo upgrade to $2800. Not bad though for some +150 whp.

That is exactly what he is doing PLUS he has both oil and water cooling - just like stock.

As for tuning - Terry is on board !

Fwiw, I have heard that the first batch of 10 RB turbos is already spoken for.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #25
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Quote:
You're slightly confused. The ASRs are ~$5000, provide ~80-120hp from the dyno I've seen.
      04-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #26
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I can't wait to see how the RB's do, I also cant wait to see how multiple tuning platforms deal with it. so far the procede has proven very effective in the upgraded turbo world.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #27
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

well, i have procede so my RB turbos will be using that...i agree its early to speak numbers but don't shoot the messenger..Rob has stated some of these numbers on the other forum...such as 55lb/min flow of air in his setup, vs. 39lb/min on stock...40% increase over stock...these are his numbers...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #28
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Does RB have any dyno numbers up yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #29
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
I love how you and a few others are letting your mouths run loose.

Rob has not even tested his turbos. Where in the hell are you getting this +150whp figure from???

From the sounds of it, Robs turbos seem like a great bargin but until they are tested first by HIM and dyno proven you all should pump your brakes.

I just love how 10 people have got on the "waiting" list, without seeing any real data.

The real interesting thing will be to see if the JB3 can handle upgraded turbos. From what shiv has said in the past, the JB3 won't be able to do so.
did you take the time to follow the thread on the other forum ?
I think not cause you do not seem to know much about this upgrade.

Rob even refused to take a deposit from bnk today.
Rob says he will not take anyone's money until he can show his upgrade is everything as advertised.

As for shiv's possible comments - what do you really expect him to say ?
Jeeeez
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #30
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
well, i have procede so my RB turbos will be using that...i agree its early to speak numbers but don't shoot the messenger..Rob has stated some of these numbers on the other forum...such as 55lb/min flow of air in his setup, vs. 39lb/min on stock...40% increase over stock...these are his numbers...
the procede works beautifully with upgraded turbos. you should be excited
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #31
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
the procede works beautifully with upgraded turbos. you should be excited
how does procede account for the difference in the air mass? these will push more air (volume) than stock turbos at the same psi
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #32
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
how does procede account for the difference in the air mass? these will push more air (volume) than stock turbos at the same psi
for specifics I'd ask shiv, but the procede is already successfully powering the ASR turbos which are pushing way more air than stock as well
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #33
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
What rob did say is that the stock turbos are theoretically good for 390 or more whp and his turbos can theoretically push 550 or more whp.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #34
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

so theoretically 160whp+?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #35
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Jp:
What Rob was probably referring to is stock turbos on a stock car versus adding his turbos to a stock car.

Not sure if a full bolt on 335 can expect 100+ whp delta just from his turbos.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #36
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
As for shiv's possible comments - what do you really expect him to say ?
Jeeeez
If you had a technical understanding of how the different tunes control boost, I think you'd agree with me. Even with the stock turbos, its show clear shortcomings whether they want to be recognized or not. The shortcomings of piggyback boost control (original PID signal + offsets) is going to be even more obvious with upgraded turbos at higher boost level. The factory PID settings are so far from being suitable for upgraded turbos.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #37
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
If you had a technical understanding of how the different tunes control boost, I think you'd agree with me. Even with the stock turbos, its show clear shortcomings whether they want to be recognized or not. The shortcomings of piggyback boost control (original PID signal + offsets) is going to be even more obvious with upgraded turbos at higher boost level. The factory PID settings are so far from being suitable for upgraded turbos.

Shiv
Can you elaborate on the shortcomings of the boost control logic that the JB3 uses? I wouldn't say the shortcomings are clear because based on logs and user feedback it appears to be working very well. I want to know why offsetting the signal is not going to work well. Also, doesn't your ignition retard feature just use a signal + offset formula? If not, please correct me, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #38
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
Rob even refused to take a deposit from bnk today.
Rob says he will not take anyone's money until he can show his upgrade is everything as advertised.
I offered rob a 50% deposit last week when he asked for a role call. He's obviously not accepting any yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #39
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
Can you elaborate on the shortcomings of the boost control logic that the JB3 uses? I wouldn't say the shortcomings are clear because based on logs and user feedback it appears to be working very well. I want to know why offsetting the signal is not going to work well. Also, doesn't your ignition retard feature just use a signal + offset formula? If not, please correct me, thanks!
PID output is different from ignition advance output. The latter just being influenced by knock threshold which can be mapped relatively simply by a simple rpm x load table. With some minor IAT based compensations thrown into the mix.

PID logic is a closed loop logic system based up on 3 distinct correction components: Proportion, Integral and Derivative. The summation of all three corrections is the final output that is used to pulse the wastegate solenoid. If you log this output, you will see that it is a very dynamic signal that will have positive and negative spikes of huge magnitude. This is to compensate for mechanical constants such as a inertia, exhaust backpressure, wastegate actuator friction, etc,. An effective PID system will have all 3 components adjusted when the system is asked to operate within different parameters. One scenario is more boost. Which is why jb3 boost control isn't nearly as stable or predictable as Procede or other stand-alone wastegate control systems that have full control over the PID settings. The next step is new hardware. In the case of turbos, this changes things ALL mechanical constants to the point where the original PID settings are so far removed to what they were intended for.

Throw in the fact that the jb3 doesn't have the ability to target an specific boost pressure (it is subject to the factory IAT compensations). Which is why condition-specific custom tuning is required to target any given boost pressure. In the case of big turbos, have a 2-3psi variance depending on conditions, isn't acceptable.

I'm very familiar with the shortcomings of piggyback boost control as we were limited by it with v1,v2 and v3 software. All the turbo upgrades we saw in the horizon (along with CAN interfacing success) was the reason we took such a huge departure with v4. That, along with actually being able to control ignition timing, was the reason we've been able to adapt so quickly to upgraded turbos. In fact, they run off-the-shelf stock turbo maps with nothing more than a revised global learning gain. There is no "modeling" or guesswork involve with mapping them.

Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 04-08-2010 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:27 AM   #40
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
PID output is different from ignition advance output. The latter just being influenced by knock threshold which can be mapped relatively simply by a simple rpm x load table. With some minor IAT based compensations thrown into the mix.

PID logic is a closed loop logic system based up on 3 distinct correction components: Proportion, Integral and Derivative. The summation of all three corrections is the final output that is used to pulse the wastegate solenoid. If you log this output, you will see that it is a very dynamic signal that will have positive and negative spikes of huge magnitude. This is to compensate for mechanical constants such as a inertia, exhaust backpressure, wastegate actuator friction, etc,. An effective PID system will have all 3 components adjusted when the system is asked to operate within different parameters. One scenario is more boost. Which is why jb3 boost control isn't nearly as stable as Procede or other stand-alone wastegate control systems that have full control over the PID settings. The next step is new hardware. In the case of turbos, this changes things ALL mechanical constants to the point where the original PID settings are so far removed to what they were intended for.

Throw in the fact that the jb3 doesn't have the ability to target an specific boost pressure (it is subject to the factory IAT compensations). Which is why condition-specific custom tuning is required to target any given boost pressure. In the case of big turbos, have a 2-3psi variance depending on conditions, isn't acceptable.

I'm very familiar with the shortcomings of piggyback boost control as we were limited by it with v1,v2 and v3 software. All the turbo upgrades we saw in the horizon (along with CAN interfacing success) was the reason we took such a huge departure with v4. That, along with actually being able to control ignition timing, was the reason we've been able to adapt so quickly to upgraded turbos. In fact, they run off-the-shelf stock turbo maps with nothing more than a revised global learning gain. There is no "modeling" or guesswork involve with mapping them.

Shiv
So you are saying the JB3 alters the final signal and the Procede modifies the functions that create the final signal? By modifying them, are you leaving the original functions intact while just modifying the constants, writing entirely new functions, or using functions to offset the original 3 PID signals? Also once you create your PID signal, it goes "untouched" from there? Basically I'm wondering if you guys are using a bunch of new math or just changing the constants within those original formulas. I just got through derivatives and I'm getting into Integration in my math class, sounds fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #41
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #42
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
"Blah blah blah PID blah derivative". I just want it to work, haha. I'm so bad at math but I understand what you said, although all the answers aren't in the explanation. Hope to hear more information.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #43
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
So you are saying the JB3 alters the final signal and the Procede modifies the functions that create the final signal?
Exactly. The jb3 adds offsets on top of the final signal which it has no control over. Whereas the Procede (and reflashes presumably) change the P, I and D values that create the final signal.

Quote:
By modifying them, are you leaving the original functions intact while just modifying the constants, writing entirely new functions, or using functions to offset the original 3 PID signals?
The function, for the most part, stays intact. Just the constants get changed. There is some subtle logic that is revised such as reset thresholds, conditions where Integral correction is activated and deactivated. And so forth. But 95% of the control comes for the PID function itself. And only 5% from how that function is implemented. It's worth noting that going from piggyback-style boost control in v3 to stand-alone style boost control with v4 eliminated over 70% of the boost control code since most of it was just work-arounds since we didn't have absolute control over the PID function itself.

Quote:
Also once you create your PID signal, it goes "untouched" from there? Basically I'm wondering if you guys are using a bunch of new math or just changing the constants within those original formulas. I just got through derivatives and I'm getting into Integration in my math class, sounds fun!
The P+I+D corrections are added to the raw wastegate DC table. This final signal is what drives the solenoid. So there is some basic tuning involved with the raw DC table. But things get much easier when you just tune the table and leave the PID logic alone, knowing that it will sort little errors out. It was a nightmare having to tune both the wastegate DC table AND the PID logic. A lot of tail chasing.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #44
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Would a lot of custom tuning / datalogging be involved to set up a procede to work with the RB turbos? Will it eventually be compatible with the upcoming "auto-tuning" feature?
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0