E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Why is this intercooler so much cheaper?

01-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #23
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
Totally agree. I could buy the crazy priced AA race intercooler but i wont. im looking at Big Toms ans VRSF. Helix seems to be the best, but costs quite a bit.

in the end its your decision. if it was me id choose the VRSF or Helix depending upon how much i want to spend. I still havent decided lol
I see you went with kind of a pricey DP compared to others. what made you choose the autowerks over some of the cheaper ones that look just as good
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
I see you went with kind of a pricey DP compared to others. what made you choose the autowerks over some of the cheaper ones that look just as good
Well my main choices were the VRSF for $330 (great choice) or the AA for $480 (it was Black Friday sale They are usually $700 ). I ended up choosing the AA for several reasons:

1)They are local, so if i had an issue, they would fix it.
2)They have the hangers that hold the DPs. Even though they are light, it still reduces the stress of them hanging off the turbo outlets.
3)AA is a well-known brand and should cause less issues with the dealership (AA is somewhat local so the dealer knows of them)
4) They look better

If they were the full $700 price, i probably wouldnt have bought them Hope that helps!
      01-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #25
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep

You would've gotten the VSRF downpipe?

Also I looked up your golf tee mod and the video attached. So just by disconnecting that one connector I can make the exhaust sound that much better? Any small performance increase from it?
Doesnt throw any codes?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #26
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
How so? I go to steak houses if I want a steak instead of some classy resturant where Im paying $30 for a 9oz steak, if that makes any sense.

Just cause I have the money to get the pricey ones doesn't mean I want to pour it all into mods if theres something out there that can perform and is cheaper.
I was messing with you, don't take it too hard

Honestly downpipes are downpipes. They are all welded metal that flow exhaust gasses. As long as they fit you can't really go wrong with any choice. I personally reccomend the BMS downpipes because they are 3" and use quality metal, that isn't polished unlike it's main competitor (VRSF). The welds also look much better than VRSF according to many local welders as well as people on this (and other) forums. The guy that put my downpipes in said he thought they were AR's (Gold Standard N54 downpipes) when he first saw them.

When it comes to an intercooler, I simply would go with the absolute best you can. Some of these cheaper options use universal/cheap/ebay cores that don't really have any R&D behind them, and are put together overseas with sub-par welds. This is a very important part in a turbo vehicle because the core needs to be efficient in cooling IAT's, have low pressure drop in the way it's designed, as well as piping and air ducting needs to be considered.

That said, ER built a 135i race car, built to withstand track abuse and extreme heat environments. They designed their FMIC from the ground up with this scenario in mind. Also, if you check out what ETS has done on other platforms, it is just incredible. Their intercooler cores flow up to 1000hp+ on other platforms with ease, and get the job done cooling IAT's. This goes to Helix as well. Helix's stepped core intercooler was designed to take full advantage of the 335's components in the FMIC area (Radiator fan can draw in air during low speed conditions, minimal cutting makes use of the plastic air shield which directs air towards the core, and has the highest air volume increase of all FMIC options due to it's unique design)

That said, choose wisely. Look at what your FMIC manufacture of choice has done in the past and what RnD they have done. I won't name any names in particular but it's very obvious which ones don't.

Quote:

Also I looked up your golf tee mod and the video attached. So just by disconnecting that one connector I can make the exhaust sound that much better? Any small performance increase from it?
Doesnt throw any codes?
Golf tee mod does nothing for performance. It just makes your car a bit louder at cold start. If you unplug the actuator in the trunk it will throw a shadow code, but it's nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #27
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:

Doesnt throw any codes?
The sound is better on cold starts and when the engine is cold. Eventually the exhaust valve would open up on its own, so it doesnt really make the exhaust louder, but what causes it to open up naturally im not sure. Some say its catalytic converter temperatue (for emissions reasons), others say its for back-pressure to help the turbo spool (creating better low-end torque). Ive also heard that BMW created this to keep the engine quieter on cold starts due to the needs of BMWs typical drivers (read: old people/rich people).Whatever the reason is, it is closed on cold starts and other times.

The golf-tee wire disconnect mod is a newer way of releasing the vaccum line that closes that valve. Previously you had to get down and put a physical golf-tee inside the vaccum line and block it off, thus doing the same thing.

It throws a shadow code that can be read on a JB4/Procede/COBB. It doesnt do anything and ive never had the dealership hassle me about it. It doesnt pull any timing and it doesnt affect the driving at all. Its simply just there. Currently i reversed my golf-tee mod because of datalogging purposes. Its just annoying to see the code for the valve when im trying to find a misfire or something. The code flashes up every couple seconds and makes it difficult to capture the misfire code.

As far as performance, theres no gain to be made, but some people have stated that they lost lower end torque from the mod. This is somewhat plausible, due to the back-pressure theory i stated earlier, but i highly doubt there are noticable losses or gains in power to be had.

So there you have it And yes, i would have gotten VRSF if the AAs werent so darn cheap and good looking
      01-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #28
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep

So a 5" ETS performs better than most 7"?

Also the golf tee mod only makes it sound louder at cold start? What happens after its warmed up does it go back to sounding like stock while you drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #29
ZixxSpeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

I think i am going with the Helix
      01-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #30
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZixxSpeed View Post
I think i am going with the Helix
Good choice. In my opinion, that's probably the best option in every catagory for the N54 FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #31
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep

How about VK?
http://www.vkmotorwerks.com/Products.html
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #32
gunda
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i e92

I just wanted to suggest you some cheaper intercoolers from ebay that are the same as the "Big Toms IC". I have been reading up on intercoolers as its the last piece I need to become offically FBO, but since it's winter here in Toronto right now I didn't see the need for lower IAT's in this cold weather. I forget where I read this, but I recall reading that their has not been proven dyno evidence of one intercooler being better than another (I could be wrong). Also if your not tracking your car, I don't think you will see any difference in performance between intercoolers, I also believe that some companies just add a premium for the "Name Brand".

Here is some reviews of the intercoolers from ebay:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473829

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456694

And heres a link to purchase one:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CXRacing-Turb...ht_5570wt_1271

The piping you would require is listed in the first link and you can purchase them from here: http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

Just wanted to bring this to your attention, the core size of this intercooler is pretty large as well. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #33
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

GO ETS
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #34
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Will it work, probably. Is there better, definitely. Would I buy it, never.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #35
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Look at the welds in the picture. Look like crap. You get what you pay for.
I would never buy it. Probably made in China.

Will it work? Almost definitely. Are there better. Definitely.
YMMV
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #36
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

Love top gears response haha
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #37
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunda View Post
I just wanted to suggest you some cheaper intercoolers from ebay that are the same as the "Big Toms IC".
This was my point exactly lol

When a dealer or manufacture can provide tested results as to their intercoolers performance I will listen. To-date none have so that $369 intercooler OP posted about would work just fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #38
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

i have some good test results.

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/E...tercooler.html

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #39
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Last we heard they are out of business, unless that has changed recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
Love top gears response haha
Sorry, sometimes I have my respond as a professional days and respond as a member days.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #40
mave198
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Anything is better than stock. Anyone ever held the stock unit in their hands? Its only good for sitting on my desk as a paperweight.

I went with Cxracing's 4in IC due to its price, large frontal area and documented gains.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #41
geterdone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I am a results guy and ended up going with the Big Tom's look alike Ebay Intercooler. What made me pull the trigger is when I saw Terry had the Ebay one in his world record 135i that runs low 11's at around 130. Given that the so called not so great intercooler must seem to work.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #42
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geterdone View Post
I am a results guy and ended up going with the Big Tom's look alike Ebay Intercooler. What made me pull the trigger is when I saw Terry had the Ebay one in his world record 135i that runs low 11's at around 130. Given that the so called not so great intercooler must seem to work.
Which one is this on ebay?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #43
Genya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan 6MT

There are a few ones on Ebay. I got my ebay on black friday for 450.00 shipped. There are a few pics of how it fit etc here on my build thread on page two.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617539
Appreciate 0