E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Weird gas problem... (no pun intended)

12-20-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
dejav0o
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG 330i

Weird gas problem... (no pun intended)

So the last three fill-ups I've been having a problem where the pump would overfill the tank causing gas to leak out everytime. I'm not just talking about having gas drip from the pump when I take it out....The pump is still in the hole, and I see gas all over the panel below the gas door. At first I thought this was a fluke and had to do with the gas station, then the 2nd time it happened at a different gas station, I figured maybe there's a problem. But today, not only did it leak out, it managed to pop the whole pump out of the tank, causing a scratch right below the fuel door where the pump slide down from the car.

I was wondering if anyone knows the mechanics of how the pump normally knows when to stop, and if I could bring this up to the dealer to have them take a look at it? I'm really irritated at the scratch, since it's totally noticible, so if this was some sort of defect with the car, I want the dealer to try to touch it up or something. Any input would be appreciated!
      12-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
al4m
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i - sgm

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
i've heard that the pump stops when the gas backs up into a tube. my friend said he glanced into the pump once and saw another tube or something and figured out that once the gas overfills and backs up into it, it'll stop. not certain on this though.
      12-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

i just figured it stopped once the gas hits the nozzle that goes into your gas tank hole. that's why the pump clicks and stops. there has to be some sort of sensor on it.

are you going to the same gas station? maybe their pumps are messed up.
      12-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The black part that is flexible when you insert the spigot into your filler is a vapor recovery device. There is a sensor to pick up when there is a lot of vapor coming back into that system, and it shuts off the pump.

To be honest but not mean, I think the only failure that might exist is that you are not apying attention to the pump and holding it in place. When the pump clicks off, some of them do create enough force, combined with that black vapor recory device, to eject the pump handle from your filler tank and then drag down the side of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
dejav0o
Captain
Rep

Do people normally hold onto the pump when they fill gas? I agree, that the force from the pump clicking and the backpressure might've caused the pump to pop out, but that still doesn't explain why it's over-filling in the first place.

I went to three different gas stations, and all the same problem.... Like I said, this is pretty weird, since I don't think there's a specific mechanism inside the tank that forces the pump to stop when it reaches a certain amount.

Anyways, I've made an appointment to the dealer to have it checked out and *crossing fingers* to buff out the scratch.
      12-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejav0o View Post
Do people normally hold onto the pump when they fill gas? I agree, that the force from the pump clicking and the backpressure might've caused the pump to pop out, but that still doesn't explain why it's over-filling in the first place.

I went to three different gas stations, and all the same problem.... Like I said, this is pretty weird, since I don't think there's a specific mechanism inside the tank that forces the pump to stop when it reaches a certain amount.

Anyways, I've made an appointment to the dealer to have it checked out and *crossing fingers* to buff out the scratch.
i don't hold mine. i use that clip to hold itself and just sit in my car until i hear the CLICK.

3 different stations? that's odd.
      12-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
i have a problem where it fills less than a gallon and it stops. i have to pump it manually but it would stop right away. then i can never get it all filled...
sucks... had that happend on my G35 too
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
dejav0o
Captain
Rep

Well, took it to the dealer, and surprise surprise, they couldn't re-produce it. I guess I'll just have to take it in when I'm at an empty tank again, since it was just filled the day before bringing it in.