E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Mercedes Benz - 2012 C350 CDI Sport REJECTED!

08-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #45
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
Just to give you an idea of the sort of noises we are talking about

Now this is the Dealer Principals own car (a C250 CDI) who swears that MB do not have a problem with rattles.

What do you think?

Please share
theres an easy fix for that, a 24oz hammer!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #46
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I've just cancelled my C63 AMG order and have walked into a KIA dealer and got a cracking deal on a C'eed with a 7 year warranty.

Thanks M@rk!!

Only joking peeps!!
      08-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #47
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Carl - big mistake!!!

No problem with rattles on the C63's - you can't hear them cos of the loverly V8 noise!!!

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #48
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
Coming up to a year now in my C Class and no rattles.

Hope it all works out ok Mark. All the best.
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #49
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
I chopped my e93 for a e350 coupe.
No rattles in mine but on seeing the YouTube clip the rattle would drive me mad.
The Mrs drives a GT and the Merc is better built imo feels a lot more solidly built.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #50
ALPANDY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330d M-Sport

Do not give up. My dad bought a CLS 350 AMG sport about 9 months ago and as had problems with it from day one (It was brand new). He purchased it from Mercedes Benz Nottingham who really didn't seem at all interested in any of his complaints, even the principal of the dealership seemed like she couldn't care a toss! He sent several letters to her via special delivery with no reply. The 3rd letter said if they didn't reply we would have no option but to take legal action. However, our legal council suggest we should tread carefully as the Merc legal team would be no push over and that they had deemed the car fit for purpose. He started sending email to mercedes benz uk which initially didn't seem to have any effect. Anyway after the car came back from the dealership after another half-arsed attempt to put a car right that by their own admission had nothing wrong with it we noticed they had buggered up the wheels where the nuts were and the laquer had split. This was the last straw for my dad, he got straight on the phone saying they better sort the wheels out and at least offer him a service package, having given up on them actually doing anything serious about the car. But to his suprise the voice on the end of the phone said "we have decided to change the vehicle, you need to come and spec a new on up". They have actually rolled over after almost a year of battling and they're going to replace the vehicle like for like for a brand new one. He was lost for words. I have very much condensed this story, but just wanted to let you know it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #51
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Awesome, but won't the new one be crap as well?
      08-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #52
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I think it's safe to assume that not all Mercs are crap.

Unless you were joking. In which case
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #53
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

You would think so, a friend of mine has a C class coupe and the cabin is defintely quieter than my E92.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #54
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPANDY View Post
Do not give up. My dad bought a CLS 350 AMG sport about 9 months ago and as had problems with it from day one (It was brand new). He purchased it from Mercedes Benz Nottingham who really didn't seem at all interested in any of his complaints, even the principal of the dealership seemed like she couldn't care a toss! He sent several letters to her via special delivery with no reply. The 3rd letter said if they didn't reply we would have no option but to take legal action. However, our legal council suggest we should tread carefully as the Merc legal team would be no push over and that they had deemed the car fit for purpose. He started sending email to mercedes benz uk which initially didn't seem to have any effect. Anyway after the car came back from the dealership after another half-arsed attempt to put a car right that by their own admission had nothing wrong with it we noticed they had buggered up the wheels where the nuts were and the laquer had split. This was the last straw for my dad, he got straight on the phone saying they better sort the wheels out and at least offer him a service package, having given up on them actually doing anything serious about the car. But to his suprise the voice on the end of the phone said "we have decided to change the vehicle, you need to come and spec a new on up". They have actually rolled over after almost a year of battling and they're going to replace the vehicle like for like for a brand new one. He was lost for words. I have very much condensed this story, but just wanted to let you know it can be done.
but will they replace it with a BMW!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #55
ALPANDY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330d M-Sport

Unfortunately not, but he has managed to spec a brand new CLS for september delivery and when you take into account the depreciation of the other car I would say is probably going to be 15-20k better off.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #56
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

if you really struggled u could goto your doctor and be diagnosed with ocd. That way the creaks and rattles are not fit for purpose. Dont think they could get away with selling someone without legs a manual box car(come to think even an auto).

Another trick is to go small claims court route via the claims online link given earlier but elect to have it heard at a court some distance away from MB legal depts office, similar trick works for parking tickets!!

If all else fails, have as much fun as possible showing up MB's build quality and then part ex the car for something else. Sure you'll lose a few £k but you'll deffo receive the admiration of car geeks across the land......
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #57
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
So we have an update

So today was the day that Mercedes-Benz UK came out to "inspect" my car.

I went for a good long drive with Dean from MBUK and indeed he confirmed that yes he could clearly hear the rattles that I was referring to

I went with a good long drive with Andy (Dealer Principal) and he too confirmed that yes he could clearly hear the rattles that I was referring to

It was then pointed out that we have seen other C-Class cars that rattle more than mine. Dean (from MBUK) pointed out that the C-Class that he drove across from Milton Keynes in today had more rattles than mine

So MBUK have stated their official position as follows:

Whilst they accept that there are rattles coming from the centre console area of my car that appear to be plastic on plastic, relative to other C-Class cars, my rattle is fairly quiet so in their opinion ACCEPTABLE.

Indeed they went on to say that it is to be expected that all Mercedes Benz cars may demonstrate trim against trim noises under certain conditions as it is impossible to build a silent car!

Please take what you want to away from that statement
      09-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #58
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

so basically #mercedesmakescheapcars.

Funny as my e90 has 0 rattles and even my old focus when new had none as well. Looks like accountants are taking over at merc again and quality will be dropping again.

I think I will be giving merc a miss
      09-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #59
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

That isn't sounding good then.

Sounds very much like they are just sticking two fingers up to you.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #60
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
as it is impossible to build a silent car!

They're taking the piss. My wife's Touran doesn't rattle. And the technical description of it's condition is I think 'battered'. And even though Sytner are once again trying to sort the noise from my dash I'm now so finely tuned to any sounds it makes I know that once it's sorted the car will be silent. Everyone expects something when you drop down a pothole or whatever but constant irritating noises mean it's badly screwed together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
Looks like accountants are taking over at merc again and quality will be dropping again.
There'll probably be plenty of good ones out there but I think you're right. The never ending bargain lease deals (in my opinion) mean something has to give.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #61
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
SoSo MBUK have stated their official position as follows:

Whilst they accept that there are rattles coming from the centre console area of my car that appear to be plastic on plastic, relative to other C-Class cars, my rattle is fairly quiet so in their opinion ACCEPTABLE.

Indeed they went on to say that it is to be expected that all Mercedes Benz cars may demonstrate trim against trim noises under certain conditions as it is impossible to build a silent car!
Is that in writing? If so you need to get it on watchdog of some such program. Totally unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #62
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
Quote:
So we have an update

So today was the day that Mercedes-Benz UK came out to "inspect" my car.

I went for a good long drive with Dean from MBUK and indeed he confirmed that yes he could clearly hear the rattles that I was referring to

I went with a good long drive with Andy (Dealer Principal) and he too confirmed that yes he could clearly hear the rattles that I was referring to

It was then pointed out that we have seen other C-Class cars that rattle more than mine. Dean (from MBUK) pointed out that the C-Class that he drove across from Milton Keynes in today had more rattles than mine

So MBUK have stated their official position as follows:

They are taking a ridiculous attitude to your case, they might as well have just told you to turn the radio up to drown out the rattles
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #63
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

with due respect though you have not rejected the vehicle formally.

You must state your rejection in writing to the suppliying dealership, to MBUK and the finance house if you have it on finance.
You must then leave both sets of keys with the supplying dealership and receive a receipt.

MBUK's opinion on whether this car rattles more or less than another is irrelevant.

The legal question is solely whether an average person would expect, based on the price paid for your vehicle to rattle.

You may expect a 6k SMART car to rattle, but not a 30k luxury car, when a 20k car does not.

Mercedes simply need to decide which market they are competing in when determining merchantable quality and fitness for purpose.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #64
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh View Post
with due respect though you have not rejected the vehicle formally.

You must state your rejection in writing to the suppliying dealership, to MBUK and the finance house if you have it on finance.
You must then leave both sets of keys with the supplying dealership and receive a receipt.
And there is where it all got ugly

Originally the dealership said to my face "I accept your rejection of the car" however as this will take a couple of weeks to sort out and as we don't want you without a vehicle, we suggest you continue to use the vehicle in the meantime. I then followed that up with a formal letter confirming what had been said and what had been agreed which was sent to the dealer and MBUK.

Then they decided that they had never said that they accepted my rejection of the car!

As you say, I need to leave the car with them and the keys and get a receipt.

As they wont accept the car keys off me and therefore wont give me said receipt, if I just place the keys on the reception desk in the dealership I might as well place them on a table in the middle of my local pub and walk away. I would just be abandoning the car in a public place and leaving the keys unguarded.

If anything happened to the vehicle once I had left the dealership, my insurance would be void and I would not have a leg to stand on.

This is the very reason I have gone public so that everybody can see how the dealer and MBUK are behaving.
      09-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #65
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I know, its certainly not straightforward, but as long as you still have possession of the vehicle, a court will take that as acceptance and acquiescence and your case will be less likely to succeed.

Is the vehicle financed? If so, Ask the finance house for their Rejection process. Who should you surrender the keys to?

If you really want to push the "boundary" of law, you "could" park the vehicle across the entrance to the dealership (on their land, not the public highway). They will likely call the police for "causing an obstruction", but since it is on private land, the police will have no powers. The dealership would then need to accept the keys in order to move the vehicle. As they do this, demand a receipt.

If you really can't live with the rattles, its time for you to get some legal advice

Best of luck.. The only way you will succeed is through persistence.
Appreciate 0