E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Finally! Riss Racing Downpipes for 335.. Amazing Power Gains and Info Inside!

06-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #89
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Very nice power gains.
I'm going to guess the price at being $300-350 for the DP.

I'm also a bit leary of cat-less DP's though and the fact you can't hide that from warranty voiding service.
Has Riss considered a High-Flow Cat version?
Or has anybody tried gutting the stock DP so it looks completely stock to a service center? That was very popular with my Legacy GT and other Subaru's.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #90
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Awesome news Charlie...looking forward to more information posted up!
      06-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #91
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
+1 on that! I'll wait for something that incorporates high-flow Cats before I think about changing the DPs. I didn't mind gutting the pre-cats on the S4 because the main cats were still fully functional and I still gained 20whp. But I'm not as concerned in beating the guy in the next lane as I am in trying to be a little environmentally conscious. [/treehuggermode]
Well the main thing is to increase exhaust flow....if you were to put our Downpipes on and keep your secondary cats you will make just as much power... and still be enviormentally safe... so that is always an option for those who dont want compleley remove cats.

the exhaust that we dyno'd with is the worlds worst exhaust... its a crushed bent 2.5 with full chambered mufflers.... believe me its more restrictive than a stock one.

We are going to dyno on a stock exhaust sytem with secondarys still intact.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #92
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
But how much more boost is being produced? There should be much higher spikes without a pre-cat. Presumably a piggyback would need to be re-tuned for this.
Actually there wasnt really a higher spike, believe it or not the turbo spools a lot faster and boost faster, but there wasnt to much of a higher spike.

but yes I 100% agree with you, we can make more power and take full advantage if we had a nice tuned map for the downpipes..... hopefully shiv or anyone else wil chime in and let us know what they think.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #93
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Very nice power gains.

I'm also a bit leary of cat-less DP's though and the fact you can't hide that from warranty voiding service.
Or has anybody tried gutting the stock DP so it looks completely stock to a service center? That was very popular with my Legacy GT and other Subaru's.
Wishfull thinking. I think they can get around $600 for a set.

This is the kind of mod that is for guys that race and are willing to swap back to stock if needed for warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #94
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEA 3 View Post
Actually there wasnt really a higher spike, believe it or not the turbo spools a lot faster and boost faster, but there wasnt to much of a higher spike.

but yes I 100% agree with you, we can make more power and take full advantage if we had a nice tuned map for the downpipes..... hopefully shiv or anyone else wil chime in and let us know what they think.
I will need to test but I should be able to run more timing, hopefully enough that the stock timing curve along with a richer AF target and more boost will make big power.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #95
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkashoe View Post
So, for someone who doesnt want to take the cats out, just get the down pipes, how much are we looking at in terms of gains if you had to guess CEA.

Also how long is the install? Is it really involved? Im very curious, as I want to see what my Procede would put out with down pipes, as Im running 93 octane. But I dont want to touch the cats, I like the low key exhaust volume and tone I have now. How much louder would it be, with the stock cats still on there?
great question... We are going to release a high flow cat that is actually going to be relocated and not on the downpipe.. as said before the main thing on the downpipes is to increase exhaust flow and allow the turbo to spool faster and make more power... but i will say if you relocated the cat to further down on the exhaust, I would still expect over 20whp and 35wtq... so regardless your going to make a lot of power having them off the downpipes.

Intsall is really easy just a bit time consuming, i would say for an intermediate person it would take 2 hours...which is no time at all and worth every minute.

Its not to much louder, it just sounds more throaty and IMO sounds PERFECT!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #96
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
Wishfull thinking. I think they can get around $600 for a set.

This is the kind of mod that is for guys that race and are willing to swap back to stock if needed for warranty issues.
+1 No way will it be $300. Considering these are one of the only DP's and its for a BMW, I'm guessing more like $1000 atleast.
      06-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #97
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
great question... We are going to release a high flow cat that is actually going to be relocated and not on the downpipe.. as said before the main thing on the downpipes is to increase exhaust flow and allow the turbo to spool faster and make more power... but i will say if you relocated the cat to further down on the exhaust, I would still expect over 20whp and 35wtq... so regardless your going to make a lot of power having them off the downpipes.

Intsall is really easy just a bit time consuming, i would say for an intermediate person it would take 2 hours...which is no time at all and worth every minute.

Its not to much louder, it just sounds more throaty and IMO sounds PERFECT!!!
Quit screwing around on here and help them weld a set up for me. =)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #98
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Im in depending on price. Wow this is awesome.

I definitely want to retain my stock exhaust though since this is my daily driver. Im tired of loud exhaust. I know on the Audi's, putting on a DP(or testpipe) would make the exhaust sound extraordinarily louder. Will it just make stock exhaust throatier or will it make it annoying?

Thanks man!
Hey Hyper!

these work perfect with stock exhaust and will just make it a bit more throaty and sound like a turbo car should and of course make great power still..... so it will not be to loud at all...and will not be annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #99
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1 View Post
The stock primary cats are in the DP. Once removed it is highly unlikely that the car will pass a smog test however since they are bolt ons and you only have to smog once every 4 years or so (in Cali) it is a non-issue here. What I dont understand is why the car doesn't throw a CEL
+1, but you will most likely pass with a high flow cat relocated on the exhaust.. and yes the main thing is in cali its 4 years apart, but for enviormentaly safe people, you can always run relocated cats.

We are not sure either, but what I do know is they havnt thrown a CEL once and we have probably put well over 1000 miles so far with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #100
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
You said it will have 2 02 sensor on the aftermarket downpip. Is this O2 sensor a dumbing sensor so it would not throw engine code? hey have you try to see if it pass the state Emission .....When time to smog check, i dont need to replace them.
yes it will still utilize the stock 02 sensors.. and NO you will not throw a CEL.

if you were to take out the post 02 sensors completley you will throw a CEL since they would not be reading any AFR at all, but with them in they are still doing their job, but not throwing a CEL at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #101
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

$3K and you lose your cats

I would say if these were downpipes with high flow race cats that yielded that power, worth it.

Have you ever driven without cats? The smell is horrible.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #102
chris b.
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: zmp e90

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
why is there no cel. i thought the reason for post cat o2 sensors was to ensure the catalytic converter is doing its job. with no cats wouldnt the values of the post o2 be the same as the pre o2? i know you tested this and no cel came on,but why? im still ready to oreder regardless though

Brentuning Cobb AP pro tune -IG: @beemeraddict
2010 335i zmp fbo, 465/513 E60 mix
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #103
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Very nice power gains.

Yes, we will have a high flow cat versrion that is going to be relocated to the mid section.... that is going to be worked on.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #104
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post

I would say if these were downpipes with high flow race cats that yielded that power, worth it.

Guys, let me explain the reason of these downpipes..

You can always still run a CAT, again just relocate it and you will be emissions safe. The whole reason of us making these downpipes with no CATS is to allow the turbo to spool faster and increase exhaust flow which is going to increase power...having cats right off a turbo is just NOT going to let the turbos make the power they can.. So this is why we took them off the downpipe.

Please, for anyone that is worried about CATS and smog, high flow cats are very cheap and can be put it with no problem at all, we will be running a relocated high flow cat on our car as well. No one is saying you have to take CATS completely out of the car, we just removed them from the one place they shouldnt be.

with a relocated cat power gains are going to still high and youll make a lot of power.

as for smell we did not notice any change in the smell... if you run race gas youll smell it a bit more though.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #105
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post

Sounds like these parts aren't for you. For those of us who want to get rid of our cats, this is the best game in town. How do you figure $3k?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #106
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris b. View Post
why is there no cel. i thought the reason for post cat o2 sensors was to ensure the catalytic converter is doing its job. with no cats wouldnt the values of the post o2 be the same as the pre o2? i know you tested this and no cel came on,but why? im still ready to oreder regardless though
AHAHHA

the post 02s are not reading the same as the PRE 02s... reason being that the PRE 02's are right off the turbo at the hotest exhaust point, the further down you travel the cooler the exhaust is, so im not to sure the values would be the same reading. but yes many miles of driving and not one CEL!

we will have set for you soon!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #107
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
Sounds like these parts aren't for you. For those of us who want to get rid of our cats, this is the best game in town. How do you figure $3k?
+1. This might not be a mod for everyone, but if you want to make the potential power your car has than Terry is right, this is one of the best thing you can do for a turbo car to increase power.... as of right now its the 2nd most powerfull modification for a 335!

but again (broken record) just relocate high flow cats if your worried...power gains will still be very high if not the same!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #108
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
I believe the difference in turbo response is like night and day, but it is surprising that you're not seeing noticeably higher boost spikes. But that's really good news. Also the stock ECU seems to be doing a fine job with the change as far as A/F ratio. The forthcoming dyno graphs should be interesting.

Another benefit of a DP w/o the cat is that since you're basically removing an oven, there's less heat in the engine bay, which means longer life and more power. What is your opinion regarding ceramic coating? Presumably, this would reduce temps even more?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #109
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
I believe the difference in turbo response is like night and day, but it is surprising that you're not seeing noticeably higher boost spikes. But that's really good news. Also the stock ECU seems to be doing a fine job with the change as far as A/F ratio. The forthcoming dyno graphs should be interesting.

Another benefit of a DP w/o the cat is that since you're basically removing an oven, there's less heat in the engine bay, which means longer life and more power. What is your opinion regarding ceramic coating? Presumably, this would reduce temps even more?

Yea the stock ECU seems to adjust to it with no problems at all. One thing we are going to have is thermal wrap if anyone wants to wrap the downpipes, or you can get it pretty much anywhere for cheap. As of now they ar egoing to be pollished...so they are nice and shine!!! AHAH
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #110
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
my stock dyno had secondary cats removed as well.
Wait a minute, dyno was 269.74 whp with secondary cats removed? The midpipe mod did not provide any gain? The 335i cat-back exhausts are supposedly making up to 15HP alone.
Appreciate 0