E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > who uses Host File

12-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

who uses Host File

to block unwanted adware/spyware from their home PC?

This is what I am talking about:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

and how come you should not use Host File to block adware/spyware if you belong to a Domain?
      12-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i used to, but i found that sometimes it would block things that i didn't want blocked. try out nod32, it's been working really well for me so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Here's what I do.

Run Windows inside a virtual machine on Linux or Windows using VMware. Make a gold copy of your installation. An alternative would to use Ghost or a Ghost clone. Viruses don't matter when you can rebuild your system in 30 seconds (i.e. copy a virtual machine file). If you can, create a file server on your network using file shares on Windows, or Samba on Linux, put all your important data on the share in a TrueCrypt volume.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
radix
No_Country
Rep

BTW, having a file server or NAS device makes things easy regardless of whether or not you take my advice about virtualizing your installations. My GF and I share files in my home using a file server. It makes things really easy.

BTW, I access my file server using Mac OS/X, the GF uses Vista, the file server is OpenSUSE at the moment, the network is 802.11n, and the file server runs Samba.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
here is what i do:

1. I do not run Windows.
2. Go back to #1.
      12-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
here is what i do:

1. I do not run Windows.
2. Go back to #1.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

I recently added a hosts file to some of the machines I administer.. But its really overkill bc I dont visit just any site. And I generally dont login as admin. Use Firefox instead of IE and you can harden yourself for most of the common vulnerabilities. Regarding the suggestion of using some type of virtualization, yes, it will allow you to restore your environment, but if you get malware and they harvest your banking information, restoring your system is the least of your worries.

Fact of the matter is that even Macs have troubles of late. See - http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=5488 (and Microsoft is generally very rapid about issuing patches)

It comes down to defense in depth... you got to apply multiple layers to shield yourself...

One of which is when you use firefox, besure to include the noscript plugin for java/javascript.

And if your wondering, I didnt just stay at a holiday inn last night, I do this for a living. Im an Information Security Officer at a State University in the south.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
I recently added a hosts file to some of the machines I administer.. But its really overkill bc I dont visit just any site. And I generally dont login as admin. Use Firefox instead of IE and you can harden yourself for most of the common vulnerabilities. Regarding the suggestion of using some type of virtualization, yes, it will allow you to restore your environment, but if you get malware and they harvest your banking information, restoring your system is the least of your worries.
Well I wasn't trying to advocate not using virus software, but honestly, if I had virus scan software installed and it came back positive for a virus, I'd just reinstall anyhow because using a virtual machine it literally takes 30 seconds. Seriously, virtualization and some form of backup are the second best protection you can have against attackers, trojans, viruses, etc. The best protection is vigilance. Virus software will protect you against known signatures, exploits, etc. if you keep your software up to date. It's the unknown exploits and malware you really have to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmcguire View Post
Here's what I do.

Run Windows inside a virtual machine on Linux or Windows using VMware. Make a gold copy of your installation. An alternative would to use Ghost or a Ghost clone. Viruses don't matter when you can rebuild your system in 30 seconds (i.e. copy a virtual machine file). If you can, create a file server on your network using file shares on Windows, or Samba on Linux, put all your important data on the share in a TrueCrypt volume.
VM's don't run games very well...but are good for websurfing...not to mention not everyone understands how to use them, let alone create a VM
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
VM's don't run games very well...but are good for websurfing...not to mention not everyone understands how to use them, let alone create a VM
Dude, it's really easy. If you've ever used VMware, and I'm sure you have, then you know how easy it is. For a box dedicated to games I'd use some sort of bare metal recovery product, such as Ghost.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmcguire View Post
Well I wasn't trying to advocate not using virus software, but honestly, if I had virus scan software installed and it came back positive for a virus, I'd just reinstall anyhow because using a virtual machine it literally takes 30 seconds. Seriously, virtualization and some form of backup are the second best protection you can have against attackers, trojans, viruses, etc. The best protection is vigilance. Virus software will protect you against known signatures, exploits, etc. if you keep your software up to date. It's the unknown exploits and malware you really have to worry about.
I was not assuming you were not promoting some AV/ASpyware, but there still are sigs that are not detected by various products. Some get it right, some dont.

And as you point out, its the unknown stuff,, which they are being created constantly faster than the protections are.

Probably the best safeguard for a machine that you use for banking is keep it pristine,, IE dont use it for generic web surfing. Or at least use a separate account for it when you surf

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 02:00 AM   #12
kuradoberi121
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1

Talking Two girls cosplay as shaiya goddess

See the answer click here. Want to see more pics? Show yourself on our forum click here Recommend:LineAge 2 Elf Rin Tohsaka
Appreciate 0