E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Getting service records

01-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E90

Getting service records

I recently bought a 2009 335i and am trying to get service records for the car. I talked to my only local BMW dealer and every person I have talked to says that since I am not the original owner they absolutely cannot give me any service records for the vehicle. I have talked to three different people at the dealership and they all say the same thing. I first tried asking on the phone and then tried asking my SA in person when I had to take it in for a replacement HPFP already. I then tried asking someone else when I picked up the car and they all say the exact same thing. (The good news is I found out from my SA that the first owner paid for the 100k maintenance program upgrade which the Audi dealer I bought it from didn't even know about.)

Is the dealership correct that they aren't allowed to give me the service records? Where can I get the service records for my car?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

I've heard this before. So weird I've asked numerous SAs, CAs, etc they all gave it to me no questions asked. Although it does say "CONFIDENTIAL" on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Never had a problem before or after purchase. Local BMW dealer was happy to pull records for a prospective purchase from a third party, but he wouldn't give me a copy. He did, however, read it out to me. After purchase the selling dealer gave me a printout on the car, both times.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 G37S Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by triger716 View Post
I recently bought a 2009 335i and am trying to get service records for the car. I talked to my only local BMW dealer and every person I have talked to says that since I am not the original owner they absolutely cannot give me any service records for the vehicle. I have talked to three different people at the dealership and they all say the same thing. I first tried asking on the phone and then tried asking my SA in person when I had to take it in for a replacement HPFP already. I then tried asking someone else when I picked up the car and they all say the exact same thing. (The good news is I found out from my SA that the first owner paid for the 100k maintenance program upgrade which the Audi dealer I bought it from didn't even know about.)

Is the dealership correct that they aren't allowed to give me the service records? Where can I get the service records for my car?
Typically you have to have a very solid relationship with your SA, then they might do you a solid and give it to you.

Previous owner records are not a matter of public record and are property of the previous owner and BMWNA. But i find a nice bottle of rum and a good rapport will ease that issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

I guess it's all about who you talk to and how you ask. I was given a copy of my vehicle's service records on my very first visit to the BMW dealer. The SA simply blacked out any personal info reference the original owner. And I guess it also helps to be a cop. hahaha ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerCop View Post
I guess it's all about who you talk to and how you ask. I was given a copy of my vehicle's service records on my very first visit to the BMW dealer. The SA simply blacked out any personal info reference the original owner. And I guess it also helps to be a cop. hahaha ;-)
I didn't realize the service records would have personal information about the previous owner, but I guess that would make sense. Thanks, maybe I will try again and ask if they could just black out any personal information.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Yea, by personal information I mean his name, address and telephone number. All that was blacked out and the rest was all the information about the vehicle, services dates and what work has been done on the vehicle. Good luck buddy.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Pig Iron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328

When I called BMWNA, they informed me I had to contact the original dealer that sold the car. BMWNA told me the dealer name, which I then called to get the service records. The dealer had no issues sending me the service records. Like someone stated above, the original owner's information had been blacked out.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
djjasper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i 6MT

Likewise. I got all the service records on mine from the dealer. I just asked them over the phone, and they faxed them all to me with the name and address blacked out. I have never even gone to that dealer and never met any of the SAs.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. I guess I will try calling BMWNA.

There is one caveat however, from the documentation I found with the manual I believe the car was purchased under the BMW Military Sales Program from a dealer in Germany. I found a dealers business card and also the BMW service manual has a stamp from the same dealer (Autohaus Euler) for both the pre-delivery check and first oil change at a dealer in Germany. There is no other service information in that manual however. Also there is a contact Europe 2008/2009 book with the car manual.

This appears to be the dealer.

That dealer site also has a lot of info about the BMW Military Sales Program for US vehicles.

Also from CarFax it appears the car was reported as purchased in 11/2008 to VA, but then it shows it wasn't imported in the US until 8/2010 so I have a feeling the original owner was in the military and stationed in Europe for the first two years of the cars life.

I have a feeling this is going to make it very hard to get the service info.

Does anybody know if the service info from Germany would even show up to BMWNA?

Last edited by triger716; 01-18-2012 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by triger716 View Post
Thanks guys. I guess I will try calling BMWNA.

There is one caveat however, from the documentation I found with the manual I believe the car was purchased under the BMW Military Sales Program from a dealer in Germany. I found a dealers business card and also the BMW service manual has a stamp from the same dealer (Autohaus Euler) for both the pre-delivery check and first oil change at a dealer in Germany. There is no other service information in that manual however. Also there is a contact Europe 2008/2009 book with the car manual.

This appears to be the dealer.

That dealer site also has a lot of info about the BMW Military Sales Program for US vehicles.

Also from CarFax it appears the car was reported as purchased in 11/2008 to VA, but then it shows it wasn't imported in the US until 8/2010 so I have a feeling the original owner was in the military and stationed in Europe for the first two years of the cars life.

I have a feeling this is going to make it very hard to get the service info.

Does anybody know if the service info from Germany would even show up to BMWNA?
Yes, service history is available, but the VIN has to be "registered" with BMWNA first. Should have been done when the car was brought to the US, but if not, you can do it now. And you should, so you can get recalls, invites to drive exotic BMWs, etc., etc....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Yes, service history is available, but the VIN has to be "registered" with BMWNA first. Should have been done when the car was brought to the US, but if not, you can do it now. And you should, so you can get recalls, invites to drive exotic BMWs, etc., etc....
Thanks. I'll give BMWNA a call. I did try to register on the MYBMW section of the BMWUSA website but it always says "We're sorry but the vehicle you are trying to register is not available at this time." I'm not sure if that is because the previous owner has the car already associated with their account or because the car was purchased with the BMW Military Sales Program in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Jon_VMSport
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Gray/Coral Red

im having the same problem. just bought a 2008 335i with 50k miles and i called Bob Smith Bmw to get the service records and they said the owner has to physically come in with photo ID to receive the service records. It just came out of warrenty, so im sure thats the reason it was sold. If anyone can help it would be great!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
DLam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

i didnt have a problem. they just gave it to me when i asked
      01-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_VMSport View Post
im having the same problem. just bought a 2008 335i with 50k miles and i called Bob Smith Bmw to get the service records and they said the owner has to physically come in with photo ID to receive the service records. It just came out of warrenty, so im sure thats the reason it was sold. If anyone can help it would be great!
It's hit or miss. I got lucky in that the previous owner of my car left a lot of the service printouts with the owner's manual when he traded the car in. I asked for service records from 2 different dealerships, and they both said no. One flat out denied, and the other showed me the screen/service history, but said they couldn't print off a copy for me.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
Jon_VMSport
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

wish someone who worked at BMW maintanace was kind enough to help me *cough PM me PLEASE cough*
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
Jewelzfive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver '06 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerCop
Whoa NOT even fair lol I couldn't get one either :
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_VMSport View Post
I have since (OP) been able to get the service records from an SA at my local dealership. It was a matter of who I asked and how many times I asked. I ended up asking another SA for a print out of my key information because I was going to buy a BMW warranty from an out of state dealer. I then said by the way, can you just print out everything and block out the last owners personal information. The SA was hesitant but finally relented.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Jewelzfive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver '06 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by triger716

Good luck with that
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #20
Jon_VMSport
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

UPDATE* i went to Bob Smith Calabasses and they gave me records, i told them i bought it from an owner whos out of state and the owner cant come in but he would email the ID. they just got annoyed and printed me it out and cut off the top info.

also found out my old neighbor is the service advisor but he wasnt there
Appreciate 0