E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Angel Eyes for pre-lci e90

02-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Miss Cat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 55 320D SE

Angel Eyes for pre-lci e90

Hi all

Just wanted some advice and opinion on some angel eyes i wanted to get for my pre-lci.

I am looking at these from mstyle

http://www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/info_D04MS005.html
http://www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/info_D04AE004.html

Any opinions on these? anything i need to be aware about for MOT issues etc?

thanks all

Miss Cat xxx
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

my opinion is don't get either. Aftermarket headlights are usually terrible. Horrible light spread, bad build quality and many end up misting up fairly quickly.

get yourself a pair of LCI halogens (often come up for sale second hand at about £275-300). They are a direct swap for your lights, need no additional wiring and will give you angel eyes without ruining your lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
my opinion is don't get either. Aftermarket headlights are usually terrible. Horrible light spread, bad build quality and many end up misting up fairly quickly.

get yourself a pair of LCI halogens (often come up for sale second hand at about £275-300). They are a direct swap for your lights, need no additional wiring and will give you angel eyes without ruining your lights.
+1+1+1
      02-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e90

There seems to be a few of us looking at this change (pre lci with halogen)...

I really wish the advice being given wasn't the case, but do find it hard to ignore. I think the main reason to change your headlights is to improve the aesthetics of your car, and if I am being honest, the LCI lights are as ugly as the base halogens. Yes you get the ring, but its yellow and if your wanting to upgrade, you want to go for (or as close as you can) the 'perfect' lights.

It seems a shame that there are no aftermarkets that give you...

The 'black out' look.
Angel eye rings, bright and white (not yellow)
but with as good as, if not better light quality than you start with.

Do these really not exist?

Last edited by BoondogUK; 02-25-2013 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Spelling! doh
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

I'd say it's best to buy one with xenons as standard!

I researched all of this before I bought and then decided I'd not buy one without xenons!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

I would stay away from this, especially if you are after the bright white angel eye effect. Even the premium angel eye aftermarket bulbs are pretty useless during daylight, and without xenon projectors the halogen light will make them hardly noticeable in the dark. If your going to do it, do it properly and fit xenons. On their own the units are only a couple of hundred more than the halo ones.

But be aware, review the legal aspect of xenons. On the face of it, MOT's require auto levelling and washers. However, looking a bit deeper I interpret it as if the above are present they have to be functioning correctly otherwise it's an MOT fail.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
jester77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90 2011

get yourself a pair of LCI halogens (often come up for sale second hand at about £275-300). They are a direct swap for your lights, need no additional wiring and will give you angel eyes without ruining your lights.[/QUOTE]

You mean like these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BM...item417119f206
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Triggster
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 M Sport 330D

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester77 View Post
You mean like these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BM...item417119f206
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Metalmickey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Lci 330d M-sport

I have a set of these for sale that I've just taken of my car before i sold it.

They are LCI halogens the only thing is the o/s light has a small crack on the lower edge of the lens (only slightly visible when on the vehicle). I had them fitted to my pre LCI e90 and the crack didnt bother me as was hardly noticable!

Not sure how to put images on here but if anyone is interested they could PM me their email address and I'll send some pictures.

The n/s light is in perfect condition and the lugs on both lights are intact.

Due to the crack on o/s light I am selling for £250 the pair delivered.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoondogUK View Post
There seems to be a few of us looking at this change (pre lci with halogen)...

I really wish the advice being given wasn't the case, but do find it hard to ignore. I think the main reason to change your headlights is to improve the aesthetics of your car, and if I am being honest, the LCI lights are as ugly as the base halogens. Yes you get the ring, but its yellow and if your wanting to upgrade, you want to go for (or as close as you can) the 'perfect' lights.

It seems a shame that there are no aftermarkets that give you...

The 'black out' look.
Angel eye rings, bright and white (not yellow)
but with as good as, if not better light quality than you start with.

Do these really not exist?
So just change out the ring LED's. easy and will get you what your after, lovely white rings instead of yellow. Simples.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
Miss Cat
Private First Class
Rep

as they are post Lci lights, can u just change them with the lux bulbs etc to make them white??
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Miss Cat
Private First Class
Rep

is there a way to tell the difference between genuine lci lights from aftermarket lookalikes??

seen some with valeo on the back..not sure if these are genuine?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 325d N57

How much are lux bulbs and where can i get them from? Are they the same as the 20w CREE markers as shown below?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-H8-ANG...item4170f24cad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cat View Post
as they are post Lci lights, can u just change them with the lux bulbs etc to make them white??
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
N9dyxuk
- Speed Matters -
England
Rep
Drives: E90 - MSPORT

DO NOT BUY THE MSTYLE ONES, i bought the ones in the first link from them, and was disapointed to say the least, the angel eyes rings are hardly is visible and the projection on the main beam is off, when i say off i mean blinding oncoming traffic off. In the end i returned them back they gave me full refund which is nice but i had to pay for p+p. i eventually bought some led depo v2s from ebay seller "fishcakes". They came with HIDs pre installed etc and very happy with these. The projection can be changed manually up/down left/right so you can adjust to how u prefer. Projection is fine. Nothin like as bad as what some people would say.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

I have been carrying out a few e92 angel eye retrofits for the e92s.

I am not familiar with the e90 lights just yet, but if you wait a couple months, I should be ready to accept jobs for people who want to vastly transform and modernize their front end.

I will be offering full black out options or any other colour of the customers choice, full circle led angel eye rings which are a bright white as you can see in the picture below. Demon eyes will be an optional extra too.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
CBET
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9dyxuk View Post
DO NOT BUY THE MSTYLE ONES, i bought the ones in the first link from them, and was disapointed to say the least, the angel eyes rings are hardly is visible and the projection on the main beam is off, when i say off i mean blinding oncoming traffic off. In the end i returned them back they gave me full refund which is nice but i had to pay for p+p. i eventually bought some led depo v2s from ebay seller "fishcakes". They came with HIDs pre installed etc and very happy with these. The projection can be changed manually up/down left/right so you can adjust to how u prefer. Projection is fine. Nothin like as bad as what some people would say.

I think I will buy the depo headlights from fish cakes. It took me almost 2 months for searching the headlights. OEM xenon conversion will cost me $2600 if I just want 240 LED angel eyes only it will cost me $600. Why don't I go with depo v2 have everything I want and only cost me around $700 ??????
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
CBET
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9dyxuk View Post

I think I will buy the depo headlights from fish cakes. It took me almost 2 months for searching the headlights. OEM xenon conversion will cost me $2600 if I just want 240 LED angel eyes only it will cost me $600. Why don't I go with depo v2 have everything I want and only cost me around $700 ??????
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
DuckySpud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Touring

I'd say get the depo headlights too, I'm looking at these and waiting for the day my girlfriend stops demanding work on the house lol: Depo V2

And a review/photos of them here.

But yea, I'd stay away from the mstyle ones, not heard anyone be happy with them
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #19
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I wouldn't have them on my car, these fake projector headlights completely screw up your beam pattern. All very pretty and everything, but I'd rather see the deer I'm about to hit.

Aftermarket headlights never perform as well as oem... End of story

We don't live in Arizona or California... It's dark here a lot of the year. Good lights are a must. And although someone further up said "not as bad as some people say" they still ain't as good as the lights you already have!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
Miss Cat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
I wouldn't have them on my car, these fake projector headlights completely screw up your beam pattern. All very pretty and everything, but I'd rather see the deer I'm about to hit.

Aftermarket headlights never perform as well as oem... End of story

We don't live in Arizona or California... It's dark here a lot of the year. Good lights are a must. And although someone further up said "not as bad as some people say" they still ain't as good as the lights you already have!
genuine post LCI lights would be fine right?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep.. Genuine LCi are even better for light delivery than the pre LCi halogens. Get some new LED bulbs for the angel eyes and you'll do fine.

Yes the depos will look a bit better, but they have poorer light performance, and if a part of them breaks ( and it will ) getting individual parts will be hard, and eventually impossible. BMW lights will always be easy to come by
Appreciate 0