E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Crevice cleaning ideas?

03-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Canadian 335xi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Crevice cleaning ideas?

Can anyone give advice on how to get the crevices clean in my seats? I have tried my home vacuum with a 'crevice' attachment. It does get some of the stuff on the side crevices.... but the stuff in the back seat does not vacuum out. I might try to tape up 1/2 the hole to make it even higher pressure, but I think it might need some physical manipulation to loosen it.

I bought this 'fan brush' and thought it would help... almost a complete fail... it got very little movement and doesn't seem to be loosening the stuck stuff. ...and the brush is actually quite a bit smaller; widest part of the bristles is about 1 inch wide.

I'm looking for ideas or suggestions. I don't want to go buy a new vacuum. I have more time than money... that's for sure. I'm leery to 'scratch' stuff out my leather seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Hello,

You could always use a leather brush. They work great for us and won't damage the leather.

-Elliott
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Canadian 335xi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott@DetailAddict View Post
Hello,

You could always use a leather brush. They work great for us and won't damage the leather.

-Elliott
Thanks, I think I'll pick one up tomorrow... should be a treat to find one here in Oshawa.

For the time being I'm using a new soft bristle toothbrush and warm water. (Leave it to the Mrs. to think of something simple and effective... damn I hate when that happens). After the soak and rub (not scrub) I'm using a microfiber cloth to dry it up and lift the grit. It's slow going and I'm doing the side seams where you can't see the crevice unless you are pressing on the seat to expose it. Still afraid of scratches but so far I don't see anything that concerns me.

Are there different "styles" of leather brushes; hardness, fibers, or whatnot? If so, what's recommended?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian 335xi View Post
Thanks, I think I'll pick one up tomorrow... should be a treat to find one here in Oshawa.

For the time being I'm using a new soft bristle toothbrush and warm water. (Leave it to the Mrs. to think of something simple and effective... damn I hate when that happens). After the soak and rub (not scrub) I'm using a microfiber cloth to dry it up and lift the grit. It's slow going and I'm doing the side seams where you can't see the crevice unless you are pressing on the seat to expose it. Still afraid of scratches but so far I don't see anything that concerns me.

Are there different "styles" of leather brushes; hardness, fibers, or whatnot? If so, what's recommended?
All leather types are different. I'd start with a softer brush then work your way to a harder one. Toothbrushes work sometimes. Just gently scrub until you see results. It's also good to get an effective leather cleaner. What products are you using to clean the leather?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Canadian 335xi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I have my leatherique in hand, but when I read posts and info it says to apply when the car can get warm/hot with the oil on it. Being up here in Canada that's still pretty far away.

I bought a set of the Meguiars Rich Leather wipes. My seats are super clean now and I am wondering if I should just give them a wipe down with the Meguiars for now and then in mid-late May give the beast the full Leatherique treatment....?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian 335xi View Post
I have my leatherique in hand, but when I read posts and info it says to apply when the car can get warm/hot with the oil on it. Being up here in Canada that's still pretty far away.

I bought a set of the Meguiars Rich Leather wipes. My seats are super clean now and I am wondering if I should just give them a wipe down with the Meguiars for now and then in mid-late May give the beast the full Leatherique treatment....?
Yes, it's best to wait until a hot day to use leatherique. The results aren't the same compared to a cold/warm day. Cleaning and conditioning it would be fine for now.
Appreciate 0