E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I-Drive Navigation Retrofit!

04-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #485
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
I am actually doing this process myself. Just started gathering a list of stuff I will need and the necessary info. I'm however in no rush to have it done as I want to make sure everything is good and set in my possession to have it done. I'm def down to share my findings.
Also, let me how you tap the CIC controller power lead to junction X9331 (driver's footwell). The DIY install pdf doesn't mention how it physically connects at X9331: Was it a simple common snap-on wire tap? Was it an OEM pin that plugs into an empty spot? And which pin on X9331?
      04-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #486
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
Also, let me how you tap the CIC controller power lead to junction X9331 (driver's footwell). The DIY install pdf doesn't mention how it physically connects at X9331: Was it a simple common snap-on wire tap? Was it an OEM pin that plugs into an empty spot? And which pin on X9331?
You are far ahead of me it seems. But the the 400pgs I've read here states the power could come from anywhere there is "ready" signal. Seat module was what the OP used I believe.
      04-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #487
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But the the 400pgs I've read here states the power could come from anywhere there is "ready" signal. Seat module was what the OP used I believe.
Yes, the power could come from anywhere, however, the OP also mentioned that for some components, if they are not connected to OEM sources, it may throw "silent" errors (only seen via ODB interfaces). I just want to avoid that as much as possible
      04-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #488
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster
Quote:
But the the 400pgs I've read here states the power could come from anywhere there is "ready" signal. Seat module was what the OP used I believe.
Yes, the power could come from anywhere, however, the OP also mentioned that for some components, if they are not connected to OEM sources, it may throw "silent" errors (only seen via ODB interfaces). I just want to avoid that as much as possible
I would def like to do same. I guess it's time I looked into some WDS to do this the right way as well.
      04-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #489
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Another question that wasn't touched on at all is if the navigation head unit rear panel combo connector (big square) is the exact same as used for the Professional Radio head unit.

Photos of the rear panel of both head units appear to suggest that they are the same: the layout, location, and types of plugs seem to be similar. I just can't confirm if the part numbers are the same via RealOEM because I can't find any diagrams that list explicitly the connector for the pro-radio head unit (it's depicted in the diagram but not in the parts list); the CCC/CIC connector is PN 61138384580:

But this part number is only listed under the CCC/CIC diagram when searched for on any vehicle.
      04-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #490
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
My "lead" for a pristine double-scoop panned out and got it for $500 from a 2007 with only 20k on it, so I just ordered absolutely everything that I've compiled that I would need for the retrofit, except the NBT kit and controller.

Hopefully, I can tackle this project within a month or so...
      04-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #491
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My "lead" for a pristine double-scoop panned out and got it for $500 from a 2007 with only 20k on it, so I just ordered absolutely everything that I've compiled that I would need for the retrofit, except the NBT kit and controller.

Hopefully, I can tackle this project within a month or so...
Good going man. I've been looking for a dash here in the NY area for a minute now and all are busted by airbags and such. Do you mind sharing the list you have so far? Iove to compare and see what kinda parts I'm missing or what I don't need.
      04-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #492
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good going man. I've been looking for a dash here in the NY area for a minute now and all are busted by airbags and such. Do you mind sharing the list you have so far? Iove to compare and see what kinda parts I'm missing or what I don't need.
PARTS LIST* The Fakra extension cable may not be needed, depending on model and factory VO options.

UNKNOWN IF PARTS NEEDED
  • Bushing Contacts for iDrive Controller Driver's Side X9331 Connector or simple wire tap

For CIC retrofits, it may be necessary to either purchase a Nav FSC code from the dealer (EXPENSIVE) or opt for a ~$100 emulator adapter to enable the Navigation system.

Also, I didn't include parts necessary for the microphone, FZD overhead panel (for optional BMW Assist retrofit), Bluetooth components, USB/Audio interface (for loading music to CIC hard drive and playing music directly from MP3 players, which is not handled by the USB port added to the glove box), and associated wiring. Those were already included or retrofitted into my car, but if you want those functions and currently don't have them you would need to budget and source the necessary components. Thus, you may need either a Bluetooth MULF (or plain MULF+TCU) for Bluetooth and USB/Audio, or you can get a Combox (CIC retrofit only) which incorporates all of those features in one box but may require adapters ($120 to $300 commercial PnP, depending on model and options, or re-pin wiring connectors) to install and FSC codes (to enable the very cool BMW Apps, which also allows for Bluetooth music streaming).

UPDATE:
The Quadlock connector, PN 61138384580, is the same across Professional Radio, CCC, CIC, and NBT head units. The only difference are the socket housing/pin configurations inserted into the Quadlock connector.

Last edited by Augster; 05-14-2014 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Cleaned up links
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #493
_shim
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: an e90

Completed this retrofit (non-iDrive to CCC) but get no radio - the AM/FM options are greyed out.

Anyone have any possible suggestions?
      06-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #494
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by _shim View Post
Completed this retrofit (non-iDrive to CCC) but get no radio - the AM/FM options are greyed out.

Do you have any part numbers for the idrive knob connectors? Idrive screen power connector? Any other useful part numbers? Im doing the same thing. Non idrive to ccc idrive conversion.

Get it all working and then decide between cic/combox or nbt retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #495
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
PARTS LIST* The Fakra extension cable may not be needed, depending on model and factory VO options.

UNKNOWN IF PARTS NEEDED
  • Bushing Contacts for iDrive Controller Driver's Side X9331 Connector or simple wire tap

For CIC retrofits, it may be necessary to either purchase a Nav FSC code from the dealer (EXPENSIVE) or opt for a ~$100 emulator adapter to enable the Navigation system.

Also, I didn't include parts necessary for the microphone, FZD overhead panel (for optional BMW Assist retrofit), Bluetooth components, USB/Audio interface (for loading music to CIC hard drive and playing music directly from MP3 players, which is not handled by the USB port added to the glove box), and associated wiring. Those were already included or retrofitted into my car, but if you want those functions and currently don't have them you would need to budget and source the necessary components. Thus, you may need either a Bluetooth MULF (or plain MULF+TCU) for Bluetooth and USB/Audio, or you can get a Combox (CIC retrofit only) which incorporates all of those features in one box but may require adapters ($120 to $300 commercial PnP, depending on model and options, or re-pin wiring connectors) to install and FSC codes (to enable the very cool BMW Apps, which also allows for Bluetooth music streaming).

UPDATE:
The Quadlock connector, PN 61138384580, is the same across Professional Radio, CCC, CIC, and NBT head units. The only difference are the socket housing/pin configurations inserted into the Quadlock connector.
Forgot to say thanks for this man. I'm almost halfway getting this for CIC.
      06-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #496
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90
Quote:
Originally Posted by _shim View Post

Do you have any part numbers for the idrive knob connectors? Idrive screen power connector? Any other useful part numbers? Im doing the same thing. Non idrive to ccc idrive conversion.

Get it all working and then decide between cic/combox or nbt retrofit.
Hey why not save yourself the added cost just do CIC instead? Pin outs are just about the same.
      07-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #497
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey why not save yourself the added cost just do CIC instead? Pin outs are just about the same.
Only because i already have all the ccc idrive parts. I actually just bought a double scoop dashboard locally and a bunch of connector pig tails i needed.

So im doing the retrofit now. I already have the dashboard pretty much out. Then im going to make all the connections at the jbe like stock. Im following the pdf someone on here made. Then ill put the dash back in. This way i can test it out and get it working. I wont have to take the dashboard out again. Ill already have all the wiring needed to do any retrofit i need.

When im tired of the ccc system ill sell it on ebay to someone that needs and go for the nbt retrofit most likely.

Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy a nbt emulator? Will a cic emulator from ebay work? Ive seen them for pretty cheap on there.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #498
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh kool stuff man. Do you mind sharing your source for a dash if they have more? (PM ME)

Regarding the Emulator, I'd go with one for the E-chassis.
      07-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #499
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Few questions. My ccc retrofit is up and running. Got the new dash back on.

1)did they change speedometer clusters from old 2006/7's to the newer 2008/9?

My new dash is from a 2008. And my car is an early build 2007. It has the old key gongs coming from the cluster. Now its coming from the center speaker with the ccc gongs. But it seems like they must of taken the speaker out of the cluster and slightly changed the size of the cluster? Has anyone else noticed this? I searched and didnt see anything.

2) if i have to buy a cluster off ebay can i just pop it in and be done? Mileage will be correct?

3) do i need a new bracket for the idrive head unit? The bracket that held in my old proffesional logic 7 non idrive headunit seems like it wont work with the new bigger size double din headunit. Part number?

4) part number for hvac trim in black for an idrive car? My hvac used to be below the radio. Now it will be above the idrive headunit?

5) will the newer cic i drive controller work with my older ccc system? The head unit i have does not have any preset buttons on the front of it. Ige heard this makes a difference.

Thanks for all the help so far. Boosters guide makes this retrofit soo easy im suprised more people dont do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #500
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
Few questions. My ccc retrofit is up and running. Got the new dash back on.

1)did they change speedometer clusters from old 2006/7's to the newer 2008/9?

My new dash is from a 2008. And my car is an early build 2007. It has the old key gongs coming from the cluster. Now its coming from the center speaker with the ccc gongs. But it seems like they must of taken the speaker out of the cluster and slightly changed the size of the cluster? Has anyone else noticed this? I searched and didnt see anything.

2) if i have to buy a cluster off ebay can i just pop it in and be done? Mileage will be correct?

3) do i need a new bracket for the idrive head unit? The bracket that held in my old proffesional logic 7 non idrive headunit seems like it wont work with the new bigger size double din headunit. Part number?

4) part number for hvac trim in black for an idrive car? My hvac used to be below the radio. Now it will be above the idrive headunit?

5) will the newer cic i drive controller work with my older ccc system? The head unit i have does not have any preset buttons on the front of it. Ige heard this makes a difference.

Thanks for all the help so far. Boosters guide makes this retrofit so easy im suprised more people dont do it.
Let Me Take a Jab at this.

1. Clusters were changed 08+ models as I can see by gauge layout but not sure if sizing were changed. I've read ppl had interchanged clusters all the time.

2. Cluster would have to coded with your vin etc. i think it involves hacking the EEPROM chip as well to reflect correct mileage.

3. New Bracket is needed. Old one will not work. Part number is 51459120317. Or a local junk yard lol.

4. You will need two trim pieces actually. one for HVAC control and one for the CCC head unit. I am not sure of the p/n as yet, I shall be researching this. EDIT: HVAC bezel: 64116956736, Radio trim cover: 51459118703

5. I've only read that it works PnP and is a joy over the older style controller.

Last edited by PichaDis11; 07-09-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #501
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

So i got my fakra antenna extension cable off ebay. Hooked it up from the pre-wiring in the trunk and routed it to the idrive head unit in the dash. Works perfect!

I ordered the bracket off ebay for my head unit (^#3)

So it looks like my idrive retrofit is pretty much done. Everything works as it should. I have a mulf2 svs already so im thinking of adding usb and bluetooth next.

My cluster isnt exactly the same as the newer 2007+ i have an early 06 build 335i. But it fits in nice and tight and wont be a problem.

Next step is to decide if i want to go to cic with combox or go the NBT route.

Hmmm decisions decisions lol..

Ill prob end up going with NBT. Ive been pricing them both out and there both about the same only because you dont need the combox with the NBT.

Anthony
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #502
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So i got my fakra antenna extension cable off ebay. Hooked it up from the pre-wiring in the trunk and routed it to the idrive head unit in the dash. Works perfect!

So it looks like my idrive retrofit is pretty much done. Everything works as it should. I have a mulf2 svs already so im thinking of adding usb and bluetooth next.

My cluster isnt exactly the same as the newer 2007+ i have an early 06 build 335i. But it fits in nice and tight and wont be a problem.

Ill prob end up going with NBT. Ive been pricing them both out and there both about the same only because you dont need the combox with the NBT.

Anthony
Good going man!

I did the same with the Fakra extension to the trunk. Almost OEM

USB and Bluetooth should be about the easiest for ya. If you do need assistance, shoot me a PM I'd be happy to help.

Regarding your NBT decision. What are the Pros compared to the CIC?
      08-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #503
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11
Quote:

Anthony
Good going man!

I did the same with the Fakra extension to the trunk. Almost OEM

USB and Bluetooth should be about the easiest for ya. If you do need assistance, shoot me a PM I'd be happy to help.

Regarding your NBT decision. What are the Pros compared to the CIC?
Not much i think as far as pros.

Fancier graphics
More resolution
Built in bluetooth streaming
Video streaming
Now they have the power and torque screen from F series cars figured out

I havent really looked into it in a while but i think there were more upgrades.

Possibly bigger HDD??
Faster speed??
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #504
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I wonder what's the cheapest anyone managed to do this for? I imagine that collecting parts over time, and not being in a rush to buy the most expensive stuff right away, would save a couple bucks! Would love to see more pictures on this.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #505
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
I wonder what's the cheapest anyone managed to do this for? I imagine that collecting parts over time, and not being in a rush to buy the most expensive stuff right away, would save a couple bucks! Would love to see more pictures on this.
The problem with this is, you run the risk of not knowing if a "used" part is in perfect working order.
      11-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #506
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
The problem with this is, you run the risk of not knowing if a "used" part is in perfect working order.
Which is true.. But the only real electronic parts would be the screen and remote right? Everything else is just plastic for the most part, aside from the wiring I think.. So as long as you bought those in perfect working condition, I assume one would be ok..! If it came with a plug and play harness I'd really consider doing it, but it seems that so many pins have to be pulled and relocated, I just see something going wrong at that part if I gave it a go lol..
Appreciate 0