E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Extra Security suggestions

02-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Extra Security suggestions

With all the talk of cars being driven away so easily and my mates 3 being taken as well without keys, what can there be done to reduce the risk

Thought of a handbrake / bear leaver lock but cant find one that would work with the offset handbrake in the 3.

Steering wheel lock same prob only ones that can be fitted are to easy to remove.

Any ideas / suggestions on some sort of additional immobilisers / kill switch option on the car that can be hidden. Not to worried when car is on drive way its more the airports when away on travels or some of the really dodgy carparks I have to leave it in when with clients.
      02-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Leave a big fierce dog in the car - that will sort the b@:stards!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I did consider trunkmonkey but it might upset animal welfare

02-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
jap01
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic 2.2 cdti Sport

I just dont get how they getting taken without the keys? Surly it is impossible unless lifted on a flat bed?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Jap just do a search there are simple coding boxes you can order from middle east that will code a new key to the car, not mention videos showing how to bypass the car lock.

Number of stories of cars being driven away with no keys I believe with one caught on CCTV at an airport carpark.

Fact is these cars are not very secure and somethign BMW must address but as any multinational if the box is ticked they dont care and deny.
      02-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Started a similar thread.

The only way i can see to by-pass the key / ecu swop is to fit an after market alarm / immobiliser
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I seem to remember year ago there was a gadget you could get which was fitted to the transmission tunnel and locked the car in gear. Always looked a good solution to me. Not sure if it's still available.

Pulling some fuses (fuel pump) would certainly immobilise the car, although its plausible that a team equipped with trick ecu coding equipment, spare keys etc will carry some blade fuses.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Pull the fuse which powers the obd port. This will have no effect drivability, then replace for servicing and code reading.

It's free and stops thieves using these devices quickly.
      02-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #9
jap01
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic 2.2 cdti Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
Jap just do a search there are simple coding boxes you can order from middle east that will code a new key to the car, not mention videos showing how to bypass the car lock.

Number of stories of cars being driven away with no keys I believe with one caught on CCTV at an airport carpark.

Fact is these cars are not very secure and somethign BMW must address but as any multinational if the box is ticked they dont care and deny.
Im shocked!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #10
foxy-stoat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320 E91

Putting a switch on the clutch pedal so car still thinks clutch pedal is up = no start...also get a spare relay, open it up and remove a couple of wires and put it back together, then when leaving car anywhere swop it for the relay on the right hand side in the fuse box. It will look the same but wont be able to start the car.

Both very cheap to do and will be impossible for the theiving scrote to know whats up.

Thats what i tend to do if leaving car anywhere for a length of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
garysargent
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

If the cars are being stolen by replacing the ECU, can't we do something to protect this? I'm thinking a locking screw nut or something on say the cowling under the bonnet that fits across the car and sits on top of the ECU.

Just replace the screws with locking screws, and hand these over during services at the stealer etc.

Surely this is inexpensive, and doesn't make our cars any less easy to use?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
I seem to remember year ago there was a gadget you could get which was fitted to the transmission tunnel and locked the car in gear. Always looked a good solution to me. Not sure if it's still available.

Pulling some fuses (fuel pump) would certainly immobilise the car, although its plausible that a team equipped with trick ecu coding equipment, spare keys etc will carry some blade fuses.
http://www.dipol.pl/en/index.htm
This item used to be very popular in Subaru circles.Basically,the gear is locked into reverse by a key.Although not Subaru specific,dealerships used to sell and fit them for about £200.
I believe that the company have seized to exist,but it was a fantastic bit of kit.
(Gary)In relation to the ecu being changed-it's much easier than than that.In the past,you had to change the ecu and have a corresponding key.
Nowadays,just a certain device bought easily and a blank BMW key which gets reprogrammed-less than a minutes work.
I still recommend a Blackjax device.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...D1tHOKE386MLLg
The theft of BMWs and now Audis is reaching epidemic proportion and needs to be addressed-BMW are well aware of the issue but are not working with the likes of AVCIS to address it properly.
More than 70 stolen BMWs in the Birmingham area alone,since the start of the year-someone needs to look at the problem...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
This item used to be very popular in Subaru circles.Basically,the gear is locked into reverse by a key.Although not Subaru specific,dealerships used to sell and fit them for about £200.
I believe that the company have seized to exist,but it was a fantastic bit of kit.
(Gary)In relation to the ecu being changed-it's much easier than than that.In the past,you had to change the ecu and have a corresponding key.
Nowadays,just a certain device bought easily and a blank BMW key which gets reprogrammed-less than a minutes work.
The theft of BMWs and now Audis is reaching epidemic proportion and needs to be addressed-BMW are well aware of the issue but are not working with the likes of AVCIS to address it properly.
More than 70 stolen BMWs in the Birmingham area alone,since the start of the year-someone needs to look at the problem...
How much blackjax cost?
Also does it increase / decrease insurance premiums?
Cheers for the link.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Quote:
Not good reading
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:
How much blackjax cost?
Also does it increase / decrease insurance premiums?
Cheers for the link.
Cost me about £2-300 fitted by a decent installer (decent is the important part!).
Was going to get the full alarm fitted,but installer said that due to the way it's fitted,a lot of the features couldn't be used.
Took a good day to fit as its fairly invasive,but I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

Oh and it hasn't meant a discount on the insurance,but I'm honestly not bothered.
Being able to return to a car is more important.
Hasn't affected my warranty either.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Oh and it hasn't meant a discount on the insurance,but I'm honestly not bothered.
Being able to return to a car is more important.
Hasn't affected my warranty either.
Sounds like a good investment.
Thanks mate.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
garysargent
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
In the past,you had to change the ecu and have a corresponding key.
What device exactly?! I realise this isn't the kind of thing that we want in the public everywhere, but some information is needed so we can protect ourselves.

How do they get in the car in the first place if it is locked?!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

Not being funny,but this unfortunately,is a public forum and knowledge of the device won't protect you from it in respect of having your car stolen.
Regarding how do they get into your vehicle-either by using a jammer that will block the signal when you lock your car via the key(someone waits for you to park your car after following you or they identify your car as part of a 'shopping' list and conceal a jammer in your front garden...or the most popular of just smashing the window whilst you sleep and having your car away.Hope that helps...probably not though!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #20
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
GARYSARGENT - look on you tube mate, tons of videos showing how easy it is to replicate a BMW key and drive the car away
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #21
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Nahhh

This is what you need

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #22
f335d
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 40d

Quote:
Cost me about £2-300 fitted by a decent installer (decent is the important part!).
Was going to get the full alarm fitted,but installer said that due to the way it's fitted,a lot of the features couldn't be used.
Took a good day to fit as its fairly invasive,but I'm happy.
Can we have a pic of the control panel installed in your car??
Appreciate 0