Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > MIRO WHEELS and SIMPLE GREEN!!! BEWARE!!!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

Exclamation MIRO WHEELS and SIMPLE GREEN!!! BEWARE!!!

!!!TO ALL WHO HAVE mIRO WHEELS OR ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING THEM!!

BEWARE OF USING SIMPLE GREEN ON MIRO WHEELS!! My 7 month old Miro wheels are all flaking in the painted portion. the all look speckeled now

I have always occasionaly cleaned my wheels using 1/4 dilution of Simple Green with NO problems!! I have used it 2 times on these wheels

Miro (or MOD Bargains) WOULD NOT replace or refund because of "I USED SIMPLE GREEN!!! im soo pissed, that is the biggest lie/ sleazy way to get out of a warranty claim.

I called Simple Green they said their cleaner is "perfectly safe" even in the full strength formula ( I used diluted)

They sent me an M.S.D.S and chemically, is very low in acidity, and safe for ALL painted/ clear coated wheels.

SO in summary MIRRO will NOT stand behind their 1 year warranty if you clean them at all or ever with Simple green!!!

In my opinion, if the finish on Miro wheels is sooo fragile as not to be able to stand up to a mild environmentally friendly general cleaner/ soap occasionally, I can only wonder what the "real world" would do them with road debris, chemicals, de-icers, salts, petrolium tar, or any other road conditions

Last edited by rolling18; 02-02-2011 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
madeinhongkong
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

sorry to hear that... maybe powder coat them again?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
sorry to hear this but thanks for letting us know
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost2Perfection View Post
sorry to hear that... maybe powder coat them again?
no that would cost almost as much. besides they ARE under warranty
and I want them to replace or refinish them at THEIR expence

ill probably have to take them to Small claims court..
since they dont want to assist.
      02-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Sherwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMG 335i

Sucks to hear that, but it seems like this is normal for Miro wheels. I have seen a lot of upset people over the chipping of paint issue. Good luck with small claims.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
c_rob85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07' 328I

Uh oh, that's not good I just bought some 942's for the summer!! Hope you can work it out with them, sorry to hear this.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Babydragon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

That sux, sorry to see that. You should have them powder coated.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Sorry to hear about the wheels chipping but honestly the time and effort for small claims court just doesnt justify the cost. Esp if you get an attorney involved. Unless your just set on proving a point id just get them powdercoated and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Thank you for informing the community on this issue. However, I do want to let you know that I personally do advise all of my customers to simply wash their wheels with the same cleaning materials you would use on the paint of your own vehicle. The reason behind this is that the wheels are clear coated, and a lot of wheel cleaners out there do use an acidic mixture that will eat away at your clear coat and eventually eat into your paint. Unfortunately, no wheel manufacture will warranty that. The process to paint/clear coat a wheel is very similar to how your car is painted. Would you use a diluted amount of Simple Green to wash your car? This coupled with environmental conditions such as salt/snow/rain can also deteriorate the finish. However, I do want to let you know that I will try to help you out in anyway that I can if you'd like to get a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

I understand what the OP is saying and I also understand exactly what Alan is saying. With that being said though, it's become completely apparent that Miro makes a very cheap wheel and does not fully test their wheels under ALL circumstances. If you're going to make a product for the general public that product needs to be tested for durability under any condition that could become present. Would you purchase a car if the airbag system wasn't tested properly? What if they said the airbags would only work if you hit a certain type of automobile at a certain speed? Totally different argument I know, but the premise is the same. You can only wash your wheels with water? The paint and clearcoats on wheels should be a bit more rugged than that on the automobile. Yes they aren't that far apart but the wheels go through more hell than the automobile.

With all of this being said, I personally have never used any cleaner on any of my wheels, I just simply use water and a sponge. But honestly OP, you don't have a case here if you go to small claims court. Simple Green doesn't make a "wheel cleaner" and if you go to small claims court and tell them you used an all purpose cleaner on your wheels, they're going to throw you out. It would be a different story if you used McGuires Hot Wheels, or some other type of actual wheel cleaner, but you used an all purpose cleaner that isn't specifically designed for wheels. But then again, I still do agree with you, they should warranty the wheels because if that cleaner actually took the clearcoat off then the environment will do much worse.

Long rant I know, but I've been through so many eff ups in my life I can relate. You just need to be extra careful in the decisions you make and be even more careful with the purchases you make. It's clear to me now though that Miro is complete garbage. All I've read about is bent Miro's or cracked Miro's and now Miro paint issue. If I were a vendor I'd drop Miro all together.
      02-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
Babydragon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Doesn't matter what anyone says. You should be able to use cleaners on wheels that you spent $1000 on and not have to worry about having them fall apart after 7 months. I had a ford exploder and cleaned the wheels with anything I had in the house and I did this for 10 years and they looked the same as when I bought it in 2000. Bottom line simple green should not be able to destroy a wheel in 7 months. I'd be pissed too. Op you have every right.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
For automobile use, Simple Green recommends 1/30 or 1/32 dilution rate. Not 1/4. I can't remember exactly, but it's in one of Simple Green's FAQs. 4oz to 1 gallon, I think that's 1/32.

1/4 is too strong to use on automobiles. It's like using laundry or dish detergent to wash your car.

Has anyone tried 1/4 on their OEM wheels?

Last edited by chowser51; 02-03-2011 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Simple Green is not the best stuff to use near aluminum and similar metals. From the SG website:

"Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation. "
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
Sorry to hear about the wheels chipping but honestly the time and effort for small claims court just doesnt justify the cost. Esp if you get an attorney involved. Unless your just set on proving a point id just get them powdercoated and call it a day.
For me, (I'm in OR.) it's no big deal to go to Orange Co. CA. to recover up to 1300$ wheels + dis-mount, re-mount, TPS hardware, shipping. NO LAWYERS NEEDED for small claims.. I am having the whole process handled for about $180. Even if I only recovered $890. for Just the wheels. (or replacements) powder coating cost as much if not MOre than the wheel.
then I Still have the whose un- re- TPS hardware $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Thank you for informing the community on this issue. However, I do want to let you know that I personally do advise all of my customers to simply wash their wheels with the same cleaning materials you would use on the paint of your own vehicle. The reason behind this is that the wheels are clear coated, and a lot of wheel cleaners out there do use an acidic mixture that will eat away at your clear coat and eventually eat into your paint. Unfortunately, no wheel manufacture will warranty that. The process to paint/clear coat a wheel is very similar to how your car is painted. Would you use a diluted amount of Simple Green to wash your car? This coupled with environmental conditions such as salt/snow/rain can also deteriorate the finish. However, I do want to let you know that I will try to help you out in anyway that I can if you'd like to get a replacement.
ModB "I" never received anything, written or verbal regarding the upkeep, cleaning, maint. or, what NOT to use/ on the wheels. at this time there is NOTHING on your or Miro's web page about care, maintenance, cautions, ect.. about Miro Wheels it must not have been "you" I spoke with prior to ordering...

What keeps getting missed is that the cleaner SHOULD be irrelevant!! It was only used a couple times diluted. It was on the wheels LESS than 30 seconds!! each time. other than that, I only cleaned w/ off the shelf mild car wash/ wax.

It is impossible for anyone with common sense to see how THIS ACT ALONE could "cause" my wheel paint to flake off! (The using of "Simple Green" as THE ONLY reason for denying my claim)

ANY wheel's clear coat finish is designed to TOLERATE and RESIST these other environmental factors you cite INCLUDING CHEMICALS.
Does the warranty only cover the wheels while they are in the box? or sitting on your car in the garage?

I'm glad to read that you are "willing" to help me, but thus far I have ONLY been told my warranty will NOT be honored for using "Simple Green"
nothing else, no further contact in 2 weeks so far. I HAVE NOT EVEN RECIEVED A SIMPLE CALL OR EMAIL !

It seems to me that I'm far from the only customer who is having these problems, and I doubt they are all, (if any) are using the Simple Green..
I don't believe I am being unreasonable/ and am justified in wanting replacements (4) (not even refund) and will STILL have to pay for mount/ bal twice over again.$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3AST View Post
I understand what the OP is saying and I also understand exactly what Alan is saying. With that being said though, it's become completely apparent that Miro makes a very cheap wheel and does not fully test their wheels under ALL circumstances. If you're going to make a product for the general public that product needs to be tested for durability under any condition that could become present. Would you purchase a car if the airbag system wasn't tested properly? What if they said the airbags would only work if you hit a certain type of automobile at a certain speed? Totally different argument I know, but the premise is the same. You can only wash your wheels with water? The paint and clearcoats on wheels should be a bit more rugged than that on the automobile. Yes they aren't that far apart but the wheels go through more hell than the automobile.

With all of this being said, I personally have never used any cleaner on any of my wheels, I just simply use water and a sponge. But honestly OP, you don't have a case here if you go to small claims court. Simple Green doesn't make a "wheel cleaner" and if you go to small claims court and tell them you used an all purpose cleaner on your wheels, they're going to throw you out. It would be a different story if you used McGuires Hot Wheels, or some other type of actual wheel cleaner, but you used an all purpose cleaner that isn't specifically designed for wheels. But then again, I still do agree with you, they should warranty the wheels because if that cleaner actually took the clear coat off then the environment will do much worse.

. It's clear to me now though that Miro is complete garbage. All I've read about is bent Miro's or cracked Miro's and now Miro paint issue. If I were a vendor I'd drop Miro all together.
You really still think I don't have a case after reading the details???

I really appreciate your "rant" as it brings things up and helps see thing from a different angle, well thought out and informative. thankyou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
For automobile use, Simple Green recommends 1/30 or 1/32 dilution rate. Not 1/4. I can't remember exactly, but it's in one of Simple Green's FAQs. 4oz to 1 gallon, I think that's 1/32.

1/4 is too strong to use on automobiles. It's like using laundry or dish detergent to wash your car.

Has anyone tried 1/4 on their OEM wheels?
Up till now I have ALWAYS used SG on all my wheels OEM, aftermarket, good, bad condition all metal types ect ect and Never had ANY problems ever. used it full strength on other cars older wheels.. NO PROBLEMS

I have the MSDS, use and dilutions chart, tech. data sheet from simple green with the chemicals and Ph. levels they are low. The rep said the only way SG could "damage" wheels is left submerged full strength, for hours on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Simple Green is not the best stuff to use near aluminum and similar metals. From the SG website:

"Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation. "
no where in there does it say it will HARM these surfaces, when used as directed.. and the wheels ARE protected (clearcoat/ paint)??? though poorly
and thus the warranty claim.

Last edited by rolling18; 02-04-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajduk View Post
Doesn't matter what anyone says. You should be able to use cleaners on wheels that you spent $1000 on and not have to worry about having them fall apart after 7 months. I had a ford exploder and cleaned the wheels with anything I had in the house and I did this for 10 years and they looked the same as when I bought it in 2000. Bottom line simple green should not be able to destroy a wheel in 7 months. I'd be pissed too. Op you have every right.
THANKYOU I agree! and it makes logical sense to me.
am I demanding to much here??

I'm a member on several automobile forums, and will inform anyone who asks of my experiences with **********s and Miro wheels in public. Good, bad, or other.
I'm an honest guy and do not deserve to get Fuqed with.

I will make complaints with Rip-off report (already done), BBB, other forums, AG office, anyone who has any interest if this is ignoreg or not resolved in the PROPER manner

thank you ALL for your advice and various perspectives and taking the time to while browsing these great forums I LOOK FOREWARD TO HEARING MORE OF THIS!!!

I read each and every persons post and try to reply to most who took the time out to reply where applicable
I know thing can get confusing, missed or forgotten, in this type of forum
      02-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling18 View Post
...no where in there does it say it will HARM these surfaces, when used as directed.. and the wheels ARE protected (clearcoat/ paint)??? though poorly and thus the warranty claim.
I think the first sentence "When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum" should dissuade you from using SG and aluminum.

Change a few words and you get another factual statement;

"When used with caution and according to the instructions, a rusty knife has been safely and successfully used to perform delicate medical operations."

That said, if a wheel were properly clearcoated and undamaged, then there should be no exposed aluminum on the face of the wheel for the SG to degrade.

My initial post wasn't meant to imply that the SG caused the damage, but that SG isn't the best product to use
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #17
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep
Drives: girls krazy

This is ridiculous. You definitely have a case against Miro.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
DTMrack.com
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Are they even powdercoated to begin with?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #19
Wareagle340
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Garage List
not happy with my finish either

I have a similar concern. I bought the same Miro 942 wheel in 18" less than two months ago but noticed a couple of small chips after having them only 3-4 weeks. I only have a couple of small chips, nothing too bad and I dont think they're from cleaning solutions, just small gravel or soemthing. but definitely concerned, the paint seems very thin.

I love the look of the wheels on the car but my concern is that I just threw my money away. I was thinking of eventually having them powder coated but then I hear of stories of them bending easily. If I had it to do over, I would have spent a few hundred more dollars and bought better quality wheels. new buyers beware. considering avant garde next.

**********s should consider giving a 50% discount on repeat customer who bought Miro's in past... just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #20
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
> Aircraft Cleaners
>
> Simple Green and other cleaners that are not listed in the
> Technical Manuals are taboo for a very good reason - they
> hurt the metal used to build the machine.
>
> It has been brought to the attention of the U.S. Army
> Aviation Missile Command (AMCOM) Depot Maintenance
> Engineering Team that numerous units are using the
> commercial product SIMPLE GREEN as an aircraft wash.
> STOP! This product has been through Department of Defense
> (DOD) testing and was determined to be highly corrosive
> on aircraft aluminum and also a catalyst for Hydrogen
> Embrittlement in high strength aircraft alloys.
>
> While a highly effective cleaning agent for floors and
> non-aluminum / non-high strength alloy vehicles this
> product is not approved for aviation usage. If your unit
> has been using SIMPLE GREEN on a regular basis, it is
> recommended that a thorough fresh water wash with the
> approved cleaners per the appropriate airframe maintenance
> manuals be accomplished as soon as practicable. This
> should be followed up with a corrosion inspection /
> treatment and application of approved Corrosion
> Prevention Compounds (CPCs).
>
> Mr. Richard Cardinale, corrosion@amcom-cc.army.mil
> (361)961-4041, DSN 861-4041
>
> http://safety.army.mil/pages/lessons...plegreens.html

i don't know who made my m3 reps that i bought from **********s, but they have been through one summer and one winter and show no signs of problems. well, the only problem was when my wife curbed them
with all my wheels, as soon as i get them, i put a coat of poorboy's world wheel wax and optiseal on them. i only clean my wheels with gel wheel cleaners like p21s of chemical guys diablo.

Last edited by chowser51; 02-04-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #21
rgpwr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08.M6

You said "7 month old Miro wheels" and "used [simple green] 2 times on these wheels"...Are you sure the simple green is what's causing the paint to flake? Couldn't brake cleaner, brake dust, something else have caused it also? Just sayin...
      02-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
deanmc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
I use simple green on my garage floor, but can't imagine even letting that stuff touch my wheels. Only soap/water and a coat of wax each wash. I'm not convinced that Modbaragains should be responsible for this.