E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help: N51 328xi won't start - tried (almost) everything

02-15-2022, 11:10 PM   #1
mmbingo
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Help: N51 328xi won't start - tried (almost) everything

I'm at my wits end. Hopefully someone on here can propose a possible root cause.

Car: 2011 N51 328xi, 178k miles

Background: My car was running *ok* before Christmas, but I believe I needed a new O2 sensor (at least that's what Carista led me to believe). Then, right after Christmas, I get a Cylinder 2 misfire. I park it in my driveway and go out of town for a few weeks. When I go to start it up again, the battery is dead. It had been 4 years since I replaced the battery so I thought why not replace it. I replace it with the exact same battery (Interstate MTP-94R/H7-1).
In addition, I go ahead and replace all of the ignition coils and all of the spark plugs. I check to make sure both engine ground cables are secure and not corroded. I check the O2 sensors and they are connected and don't look too bad (although I know one may still be failing).

So here I am, after a couple weeks or trying to figure out what's wrong...

I go to start the car and it turns over several times and sounds like it's just about to start, but doesn't! There is a significant smell of gasoline after I do this. I removed the spark plug and it's soaked in fuel. Okay - so I know the fuel pump and injectors are working (or at least fuel is getting to the chamber).

Any ideas of what it could be?
If there's not spark, what are the most common reasons for no spark?

My brain is overwhelmed from scouring old posts and trying to find someone with a similar situation (usually it's "oh my fuel pump isn't work" or "my ground cable is corroded"). I don't know what to do here.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:21 PM   #2
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

I'd try to remove that excess fuel from the chambers. Verify you bought the correct coil pack? Not to sound like a pp head… Try your old coil pack. Maybe you got some defective coils. 🤷 after trying the above, save yourself some heartache and reach out to an Indy… good luck, friend.