E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > The M6 thread...have I missed it?

05-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

The M6 thread...have I missed it?

Has Andrew (Palmnuts) posted anything on the new machine yet? Has it passed me by?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Giff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

It was too flash so he had to buy a Skoda.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Ah but, Peter, you have to remember that producing a shiny new M6 will induce penis envy and all sorts of mutterings amongst some of our weaker minded brethren.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Equally importantly... how is your new motor Peter? Nice words in the company newsletter.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I've been too busy working! You know, to pay for my lavish car lifestyle (which is now a hell of a lot less lavish)!

I will do a proper update this weekend but, as a teaser.....I'm pretty impressed! It has a lovely steering wheel (like a proper old-school M-car wheel! with a round boss and thin rounded spokes). And it does 33mpg on the motorway. And the biggest surprise?? I'd say the majority of people I've come across prefer it to the SLS. Some have even said it's my best car to date!! I'm not so sure on that but a surprise response for a relatively ordinary car eh?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
mobileadam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport

But do YOU prefer it to the SLS?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Has Andrew (Palmnuts) posted anything on the new machine yet? Has it passed me by?
Thats what i was thinking peter. He chops them in that fast that even threads pass by without us noticing!!! Do you know what colour it is at least?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Love the M6 mate, she is a crackin' colour too!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Equally importantly... how is your new motor Peter? Nice words in the company newsletter.
Matt, is this aimed at me?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #10
sufchenko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D SE

Were there any more pics of the SLS? (apart from the one at the filling station at night)
      05-24-2013, 03:32 AM   #11
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I've been too busy working! You know, to pay for my lavish car lifestyle (which is now a hell of a lot less lavish)!

I will do a proper update this weekend but, as a teaser.....I'm pretty impressed! It has a lovely steering wheel (like a proper old-school M-car wheel! with a round boss and thin rounded spokes). And it does 33mpg on the motorway. And the biggest surprise?? I'd say the majority of people I've come across prefer it to the SLS. Some have even said it's my best car to date!! I'm not so sure on that but a surprise response for a relatively ordinary car eh?
Ordinary car?

... really looking forward to the usual pictures and write up.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Brace yourself, i'm going to be controversial again.

I didn't like the SLS. Their, I said it.

I'm with the crowd that prefer the m6.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
^^ me too. The SLS isn't that great. It doesn't look like a super car, not does it have the sex appeal of a DB9 for me. I actually like the new M6 a lot, and hopefully will be picking one up for peanuts in 5 years time
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
Brace yourself, i'm going to be controversial again.

No I'm with you on this one too, in fact I think I mentioned prefering the XKR-S to it on the original thread. It just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid, just doesn't look quite right.

The one thing I will say is that I was very surprised to read about the negative comments about the SLS being a "flash car". Working in Central London, I see quite a few SLS's and I'd have to say apart from the doors, it's probably one of the most understated supercars I've seen. Sure petrol heads will know what it is but they barely get a reaction from the general public who often just see it as another Merc so was really surprised that Palmnuts had to get rid of it for being "too flash".
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #15
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Yes siree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
I actually like the new M6 a lot, and hopefully will be picking one up for peanuts in 5 years time
You and me both.

For some reason, the UK has become one of the cheapest places in the World to finance new luxury cars or buy used sports cars with big engines for cash.

You don't even have to buy beaters as there are literally dozens of low mileage examples around. My employer currently imposes a lower limit on the number of doors and an upper limit on the CO2 emissions its prepared to finance, which rules out M3s, M5s or M6s but I'm planning on emitting a lot more CO2 once I retire.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
And it does 33mpg on the motorway.
How embarrassing is that for a 'supercar'? Isn't part of the fun only getting 15mpg out of one......
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I never thought i'd see the day when palmnuts buys a new car and his first mini review focussed on how good the steering wheel is and how great the mpg is.

He's dropped the ball on this one. We need tantalising details of speed, thrills, insane handling and noise. Gearbox savagery and pinpoint placement, stuff we aspire to but could probably never afford.

Come on redeem yourself, this is an M6. Probably the best GT coupe in the world right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Matt, is this aimed at me?
Yup.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #19
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I didn't like the SLS either, not sure why, but really didn't like anything about it.

I am sure it is a really focused drive, but I always think 'Someone with more money than sense.'
Now I know that is probably not the case as Andrew buys sensibly and would only buy a car if it was good, but that is the impression it gives, well me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Good grief....a thread about a thread that hasn't been started yet. Whatever next??

Anyway, what drugs you people on.....M6 over SLS??? REALLY???

I can't bloody believe it - I sort of understand it when the people I come across in everyday life (who know little about cars) say they prefer the looks of the M6 (it is a more pretty car), but YOU LOT??? Come on chaps, we're meant to be proper petrol heads goddamit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileadam View Post
But do YOU prefer it to the SLS?
Given the statement above, no comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysix View Post
Do you know what colour it is at least?
Yes I do thank you. It's very nice too. Like a browny beige shade....one from BMW's new palette

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Love the M6 mate, she is a crackin' colour too!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufchenko View Post
Were there any more pics of the SLS? (apart from the one at the filling station at night)
Yes, yes I have. It took me that long to get back from germany last friday that I stopped off at my aunt's house in Kent. Woke up the next morning to take it to BMW and thought 'shit, I bets get some pics of this car'!

But it says a lot that, apart from that first day I got it and those photo's taken at night, this was the first time I remembered to take some photo's!

I'll upload my final photo's of it on here shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
^^ me too. The SLS isn't that great. It doesn't look like a super car, not does it have the sex appeal of a DB9 for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
No I'm with you on this one too, in fact I think I mentioned prefering the XKR-S to it on the original thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I didn't like the SLS either, not sure why, but really didn't like anything about it.

Such a lack of love

Quote:
How embarrassing is that for a 'supercar'? Isn't part of the fun only getting 15mpg out of one......
Yes, shameful. I filled it up yesterday and it came to only £105, after having done about 350 miles. It felt so wrong that I stood on the Shell forecourt and pumped vPower NITRO onto the forecourt floor just to make sure I was back in my comfort zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Probably the best GT coupe in the world right now.
Correct, it's very good. Just can;t bring myself to appear too excited by it having just sold my favourite car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I am sure it is a really focused drive, but I always think 'Someone with more money than sense.'
Now I know that is probably not the case as Andrew buys sensibly and would only buy a car if it was good, but that is the impression it gives, well me anyway.
Well, I've never been the most sensible with cars and money but the SLS, at the price I bought it, was always very low risk. You'd be a nutter to buy one new, no matter how much money you had.

Then again, this is from someone who's just bought a new M6 which, despite being very cheap versus the list price, won't be as low risk as the SLS
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I don't think the SLS is a petrol heads choice. It's the choice of footballers and rappers.

The M6 is a good choice for the petrol head. Engineered by the boys who know how (///M division) and is über quick in all situations (road/track)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #22
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I don't think the SLS is a petrol heads choice. It's the choice of footballers and rappers.

The M6 is a good choice for the petrol head. Engineered by the boys who know how (///M division) and is über quick in all situations (road/track)
I agree, that is the problem with it for many, it seems like a flash car, everyone knows it is expensive but no one really knows if it is any good.
Appreciate 0