E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Just installed Hyper white LED turn signals

09-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #45
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: Seats and a Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92M3Guy View Post
They all come from China from one manufacturer, they are all over alibaba and ebay. Pick who ever is cheapest and call it a day, its just LED bulbs and all we all can see is the luxury tax being charged for no good reason. Sometimes more isn't always better, there is a limit where it goes overboard, if you can see 18 LEDs in daylight then it is fine, save the money and put it elsewhere to spend on the car or good food.
Great advice. Compromise safety for a good meal
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #46
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

I can't comment on the E9x explicitly, but on my E60, both pre AND LCI, the 18 SMD white turn signals are pretty visible.

That's not to say that they can't be brighter though. I recently blacked out my LCI headlights, including the back reflector part of the turn signal, so I lost some lighting there. I purchased a 5W replacement and that did the trick.

With that said, there is a even brighter bulb out there though, a 7W Cree projector type replacement. It's hands down the brightest, however, the bulb's temperature is closer to 4300 as opposed to 6000K.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #47
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBimmerN54 View Post
Great advice. Compromise safety for a good meal
How would one be compromising safety with the same exact bulbs from eBay??? You can order 18 LED or 23 LED, whatever you choose. The white 18 LED option is perfectly fine for daytime use.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #48
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E93 335i, S50 E30 325i

White turn signals and markers are definitely illegal where I am, but I bought the WeissLicht LED Amber turn signals and smoked LED amber side markers anyways.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #49
Mark06
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
LOL
I guess when you get in an accident after savings $10 bucks on LED atleast you had a good meal and an insurance claim to fulfill.
That was pretty uncalled for..

Anyways.. I have 18 led amber and they are slightly less bright than the halogen that comes stock. I wouldn't say unsafe though.
      09-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #50
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 View Post
How would one be compromising safety with the same exact bulbs from eBay??? You can order 18 LED or 23 LED, whatever you choose. The white 18 LED option is perfectly fine for daytime use.
Probably when it fails cause all the stuff on ebay is junk. You do know quality control is a big problem with lighting products, especially in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark06 View Post

Anyways.. I have 18 led amber and they are slightly less bright than the halogen that comes stock. I wouldn't say unsafe though.
I guess you'll find out about that safety soon enough....Some people in here are actually just vendors in hiding or vendors friends in hiding spreading false information.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #51
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Probably when it fails cause all the stuff on ebay is junk. You do know quality control is a big problem with lighting products, especially in China.
Well, the set I ordered came from a company in the US. Besides, you do know the vendors you're making excuses for sell the same bulbs from China, only with an obscene markup.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #52
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Well, the set I ordered came from a company in the US. Besides, you do know the vendors you're making excuses for sell the same bulbs from China, only with an obscene markup.
Obscene? How do you know how much they pay? How do you know how much the ebay guys pays vs vendors on here? Just because they all come from china doesnt mean the quality, price or the manufacturer is the same. Please stop your hating on businesses trying to make a living, put food on the table and a roof over their heads. Do you know much profit margin the guy who built you car made? Seriously? Your talking about light bulbs here this is not exactly pay check breaking products. Nobody comes to your job and tries to stop you from getting paid, you should be ashamed. Admittantly there are vendors selling these bulbs for over $100 and I agree that is ridiculous but it stops there. Plenty of good guys on here with prices less then that and willing to work with their customers.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #53
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark06 View Post

The fact remains in person I've had people tell me they cant see them well and i was almost involved in accident at an intersection because someone didnt see my blinkers. Not sure if your married or have kids but the risk isnt worth it. You will have to excuse the crudness of my post but it irks me when people compromise safety over an extremely small amount of money. $10. That is the difference in cost for the HPB 18 to 23 LED upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #54
StylinE92
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92M3Guy View Post
They all come from China from one manufacturer, they are all over alibaba and ebay. Pick who ever is cheapest and call it a day, its just LED bulbs and all we all can see is the luxury tax being charged for no good reason. Sometimes more isn't always better, there is a limit where it goes overboard, if you can see 18 LEDs in daylight then it is fine, save the money and put it elsewhere to spend on the car or good food.
Are you seriously that naive? They all come from one manufacturer? You have no clue about global economics or even a smidgen of a clue of how things in China work, let alone the thousands of other LED producers world wide. I'll even name a few for you like Cree, Osram, Bridgelux, Optek, Murata, Seoul Semiconductor, Lumex, etc. Most are not located in China but do have production facilities in China, as well as Korea, Italy, Germany, UK, etc. they are not all from the same factory as you claim. I work in the electronics design industry and know about many of these companies and their products because we use them for lighting applications as well as general electronics.

I made the mistake of buying some cheap LED bulbs for my cars. Some fell apart a few days after I installed them. Others were way too blue, some very dim, some even burned out and stopped working. If they were all the same and came from the same place, then why do they all look different and the quality is highly varied? Yet when I order them from companies that claim they are much higher quality I in fact find that they truly are higher quality then the cheap stuff. Not only that, they don't fall apart or have color or quality issues and every bulb had the same quality, same color and same brightness where the cheap stuff did not.

I read a ton of these lighting threads as well as other threads here and I think some people here are drinking a little too much of the cool aid and believe all the crap some of these venders are giving out. Buy my cheap stuff it’s the same as everyone else’s. If you are constantly knocking everyone else’s stuff, it’s likely yours can't stand on its own. Side by side, they are not the same, I know because I have the same products from several different venders, they are not the same, they are dimmer or brighter or bluer, don't work, cause errors, fell apart, broke, melted or work great (items I generally pay a little more for).

I really feel you are either a blind follower or you are in fact one of the venders touting his products. Either way, you’re dead wrong and your claims are not only false but plain ignorant.

Stop misleading the members here.

/rant
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #55
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Obscene? How do you know how much they pay? How do you know how much the ebay guys pays vs vendors on here? Just because they all come from china doesnt mean the quality, price or the manufacturer is the same. Please stop your hating on businesses trying to make a living, put food on the table and a roof over their heads. Do you know much profit margin the guy who built you car made? Seriously? Your talking about light bulbs here this is not exactly pay check breaking products. Nobody comes to your job and tries to stop you from getting paid, you should be ashamed. Admittantly there are vendors selling these bulbs for over $100 and I agree that is ridiculous but it stops there. Plenty of good guys on here with prices less then that and willing to work with their customers.
You're right, I don't know how much they pay. However, when you figure that I paid $36 (shipped) for one set of an identical product from a US company, it is safe to presume they are paying less when buying in bulk. You're also right that we're only talking about light bulbs. A very simple, cheap part to make. So yeah, I consider $70 - $100 for a simple LED bulb to be an obscene price.

Also, I would like to know how I'm hating on anyone by posting a cheaper option for someone who feels, as I feel, that $100 for a set of two bulbs is rediculous? And how does that equate to me taking money away from any business? If you, or anyone else for that matter, wants to pay $70 - $100 for some bulbs, go right ahead. It's your money, do with it what you will. So no, I'm not ashamed.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #56
Greekstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22' X7 40i

Amber colored led bulbs are definately dimmer than the white. White is easier to reproduce. If you are interested in amber then I would definately go with the higher output(wattage). Just because a bulb has more leds on it does not mean it is brighter. I bought side blinker bulbs (194 type i believe) that had a single led @ 1.5 watts. It is bright as can be. My 5 led bulb in my map lights doesn't even come close. If you are looking for the white ones then the 18led has enough output imo. I have a problem with locking and unlocking my car for no reason now Love the look of the hyperwhite.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #57
mrcm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

I have the 18 led white bulbs, and they are freaking bright. They give a blueish white output. got them from the UK ebay for about 40 bucks shipped. They look like the weisslicht ones but half the price.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #58
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep

Quote:
You're right, I don't know how much they pay. However, when you figure that I paid $36 (shipped) for one set of an identical product from a US company, it is safe to presume they are paying less when buying in bulk. You're also right that we're only talking about light bulbs. A very simple, cheap part to make. So yeah, I consider $70 - $100 for a simple LED bulb to be an obscene price.

Also, I would like to know how I'm hating on anyone by posting a cheaper option for someone who feels, as I feel, that $100 for a set of two bulbs is rediculous? And how does that equate to me taking money away from any business? If you, or anyone else for that matter, wants to pay $70 - $100 for some bulbs, go right ahead. It's your money, do with it what you will. So no, I'm not ashamed.
When they fail on you in the next few weeks/months you will know why. You do realize wholesale lighting comes with a large variance in pricing depending on quality. You can use google for this.... For example....There are wholesale lighting companies that sell HID kits for as little as 6-8 US dollars when buying in bulk. There are also other HID kits available wholesale that range from $15-35+. Their is a quality difference. Its up to the end user to decide how important that is. If anything I dont compromise on safety. That includes brakes,tires, and even lighting. I dont need some dodgy blinkers. I also like supporting excellent customer service, vendors who are here day in and day out answer questions and above all mutual respect.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #59
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When they fail on you in the next few weeks/months you will know why. You do realize wholesale lighting comes with a large variance in pricing depending on quality. You can use google for this.... For example....There are wholesale lighting companies that sell HID kits for as little as 6-8 US dollars when buying in bulk. There are also other HID kits available wholesale that range from $15-35+. Their is a quality difference. Its up to the end user to decide how important that is. If anything I dont compromise on safety. That includes brakes,tires, and even lighting. I dont need some dodgy blinkers. I also like supporting excellent customer service, vendors who are here day in and day out answer questions and above all mutual respect.
If we were talking about headlights, I might agree with you on the safety aspect. However, this is a turn signal bulb. Although I do, how many other people in the US even use them when making a turn, let alone look for someone to be using them? Time will tell, but the lights I got look exactly like the lights being sold for two to three times the price.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #60
JETBLK335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

keep me posted

ill def wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
The 18 LED is bright enough for white but not bright enough for amber (safety wise). In broad daylight the amber is tough to see.

Anyone looking into amber should really look into the 23 LED.

We do have them available if anyone is interested.

In the future we will be coming out with a new Blinker that will surpass the 23 LED option in brightness. For those interested in the best in the best I suggest you wait.
Appreciate 0