E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 3 lights of no 4x4

01-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
jpsanfor
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
3 lights of no 4x4

2008 335xi 6MT 150k miles

I was on my way to work yesterday morning driving through some slush on the interstate (I was only going 75) and I heard some weird noises followed by the three warning lights indicating the all wheel drive had been deactivated.

The noises were brief and the car drives with no vibrations or noises and seems fine except the all wheel drive, traction control, cruise control, and ABS don't function. When the car is shut off and restarted all the functions seem to work briefly (the longest being about 1/4 mile when driven slowly) before returning to not working properly.

I read about the actuator motor gears being knackered so I pulled it out tonight and disassembled the actuator gear box and the gears are all fine and I don't hear the ratcheting noise at startup that others describe when the gears fail. I also did some testing with the car on jackstands and when first started the car will move the front tires when revved (traction control manually disabled) on the stands before going into the default mode.

Any ideas for a solution?

I don't think the transfer case is damaged... at least not severely since the front tires still turned when it was on the stands.

Clutches in the transfer case could be worn out... Anyone know where I can get more information? I think I read about someone making a service kit for the clutches. I doubt the fluid has ever been changed.

Possible electrical issues with the actuator motor? (I was driving in the wet/slush) Any way to test it prior to dropping $300+ on a replacement?

Faulty wheel speed sensor(s)? I suppose this can cause the default of no 4x4 to protect the transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
gxe2se
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 Xdrive

Run a Scan to see if you can get any codes. I just had a similar situation happen.

No major noises but the dash lights up for the BRAKE, ABS and 4X4 intermittently comes on then when I park and restart all is good until 1/4 mile.

Ended up being the Transfer Case Servo Motor /Actuator.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/167...Motor-SP00116/

Replaced and all is well.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
jpsanfor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I will try to get some codes this evening. Is there any way to test the actuator? I would rather know for sure that is the problem. I see it has 6 or 8 wires in the connector so I assume it's some sort of stepper motor?

I think it would help a lot of others if they had a way to diagnose it too.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 06:33 AM   #4
jpsanfor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Got the codes last night:

5463 - Mechanism Faulty
54C4 - Transfer Box - Calibration Faulty
54C6 - Oil Wear
55C3 - AWD Limp Home Control Activated. No Dynamic Stability Control Specified Nominal Torque

I'm gonna pull the actuator this weekend and see if I can't find something that would indicate it is faulty. I also have a friend's scan tool that I can perform functional tests with.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
jpsanfor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Just to update I removed the transfer case over the weekend and disassembled the main shaft to find the thrust bearing had disintegrated. As a result it chewed up the surfaces where it contacts so either I need to replace the levers, clutches, drum or get a used transfer case. I am glad I didn't waste my money a new actuator motor and it really only took about 2 hours to get the t-case out and opened up.

The oil was darker and had that smell of being the original fluid which probably didn't help matters much but it wasn't metallic and I didn't find any solids.

I was inspecting the main shaft where the fluid pump is driven. This main shaft is oiled meaning the oil from the pump is pumped axially through the shaft and exits through lateral holes near bearings, clutches, etc.. Whether or not it's a direct cause the bearing that disintegrated is about the farthest from one of these lateral holes. Seems like a poor design to me. Also why not have thrust washers on either side of the thrust bearing to act as a race surface? Less than $10 worth of thrust washers is a lot cheaper to replace than having to replace the $600 XDrive clutch mechanism or the whole transfer case.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #6
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

you aren't the only one
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=12
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
jpsanfor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I think I saw that thread or another one when I was trying to figure what to do. It sucks no one maintained the T-case prior to me owning the car. I assume that was probably the same for these other cases.

In other news I DIY'ed the intake valve sandblasting yesterday morning and I'm pleased with the results. The throttle response seems better and there seems to be better response on launches and pulls.
Appreciate 0