E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 335i bogging down (limp mode?) and service engine light

04-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
my new bimmer
Rep
Drives: acura

2007 335i bogging down (limp mode?) and service engine light

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I am looking to purchase a new vehicle and would appreciate your help. I am looking at a 2007 (E92) 335i automatic coupe with 70,000kms. I believe the car is out of warranty. It is black and has a hamann front bumper (so no pop up washers for the headlight). It has the navi, sport, and premium package.

Problem:
I took the car for a test drive and noticed the ‘service engine soon’ light come on when I step into the throttle. The first minute or 2 the car was driving as normal, but when I step into the throttle, the light comes on and there is a significant lack of power (feels like it is bogging down). When the car comes to a stop light, it idles very very rough, almost a shaking feeling.

If you turn the car off and turn it on again, the light goes away and will idle just fine, but again when I step on the gas the light turns on, and the same symptoms that I mentioned earlier are once again present.

The seller is difficult to understand because of a language barrier, so I am not sure if he has changed the hpfp, he did not seem to understand what I was asking. He did tell me that the cause of the ‘service engine soon’ light is apparently a sensor on the intercooler, and according to him is a $100 part that he would change for me.

He told me he will change the sensor if I am going to buy the car, and I meet him at the repair shop (probably independent shop, not dealer).

My concern is that: The shop replaces the sensor, maybe it is a band-aid fix?, I take it for a test drive – car is fine, then on the way home or a day or 2 later, the same symptoms appear.

My question is: could a sensor on the intercooler cause this problem? Could there be other issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
TheTal0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

If your getting it from a dealer, you should be able to legally turn it in before 30 days, maybe test drive a different one.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
my new bimmer
Rep

Sorry I should have mentioned this earlier, it is a private sale, not from a dealer. I am getting a good deal on the car, which is why I am thinking about getting it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
infidel82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

This sounds like its detecting a misfire and its shutting a cylinder down.

I wouldn't think the intercooler sensor would cause this (could be wrong!) I would had thought that is more problematic.

Realistically I would not touch this vehicle unless you took it to a BMW dealer (or an independent) and a have the error codes read. They will most likely tell you if it is the intercooler sensor or something else.

If its out of warranty and it could potentially be coil/spark/injector then it could get expensive.

Buy with your brain. Im sure its a nice car and you want it and you can afford it... but think how you will feel if it just costs you 1000s more dollars 2 days later.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by my new bimmer View Post
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I am looking to purchase a new vehicle and would appreciate your help. I am looking at a 2007 (E92) 335i automatic coupe with 70,000kms. I believe the car is out of warranty. It is black and has a hamann front bumper (so no pop up washers for the headlight). It has the navi, sport, and premium package.

Problem:
I took the car for a test drive and noticed the ‘service engine soon’ light come on when I step into the throttle. The first minute or 2 the car was driving as normal, but when I step into the throttle, the light comes on and there is a significant lack of power (feels like it is bogging down). When the car comes to a stop light, it idles very very rough, almost a shaking feeling.

If you turn the car off and turn it on again, the light goes away and will idle just fine, but again when I step on the gas the light turns on, and the same symptoms that I mentioned earlier are once again present.

The seller is difficult to understand because of a language barrier, so I am not sure if he has changed the hpfp, he did not seem to understand what I was asking. He did tell me that the cause of the ‘service engine soon’ light is apparently a sensor on the intercooler, and according to him is a $100 part that he would change for me.

He told me he will change the sensor if I am going to buy the car, and I meet him at the repair shop (probably independent shop, not dealer).

My concern is that: The shop replaces the sensor, maybe it is a band-aid fix?, I take it for a test drive – car is fine, then on the way home or a day or 2 later, the same symptoms appear.

My question is: could a sensor on the intercooler cause this problem? Could there be other issues?
There is no sensor on the intercooler. Stay away from this seller.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

If the car doesn't run correctly, a dealer diag is the only option.
Get a friend with a fault code reader.

I personally wouldn't touch it.
I'm now a die hard CPO only person for late model BMWs.
Too many things to go wrong on turbo motors.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Hi guys,

Problem:

I had the exact issue on my car. Took it to the dealer and they ended up changing the pressure solenoid on wastegate #2. Problem was the turbo was loosing boost pressure and causing the faults. Car feels like new now.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

Techwiz is right. Get the codes read by an indy shop or a dealer. Boost pressure imbalance can cause the problem and force that car into limp mode and there are sensors in the charge air circuit. Also, it better be a very good deal. What does the seller plan to do, let the car sit if no one will buy it in its present condition.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep
Drives: 07 335i & 94 3000GT VR4

I can tell you from experience (just recently getting out of a problem with SES and cyls being shut down) that if you don't have the codes read and diagnosed by a BMW mechanic who knows how to interpret them and find what's going on..... then, well, stay away! no matter how good the deal.

In my case it looks like it is the check valve that is integrated on the valve cover, but I'm still waiting on the part to arrive. I have also read that sometimes it could be the HPFP which isn't able to deliver the flow when pushing the car but this can be also diagnosed with error codes and a proper diag system for BMW cars.

[Race] 1994 Rare Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
[Daily] 2007 BMW E92 335i 6MT
SPECS: [SpaceGray.Sport.Premium.Nav] MODS: [BTDCI.AAFMIC.AABOV.EBAYDP.?EXHAUST.VPROCEDE.BSHOCC]
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
my new bimmer
Rep

Thanks for all the input. I have borrowed an obd2 reader that I am going to take with me when I go to take a look at the car again, hopefully that will tell me more.

The car seems like a good deal, at 24,500 CAD.

I wanted to get a ppi done, but they want $375 and it seems like its mostly a visual inspection, the only part that seems of value is the code reading (which I may be able to do with my own obd2 reader). I asked the dealer if they will look into possible turbo issues, however they stated that it is not a part of a ppi. I am not worried about the headlights, taillights, brake pad %age, I can also deal with tie rods and what not.

What I would want to know from a ppi, is the state of the motor, turbo's specifically. I have my own compression check tool, and leak-down tool, but I am not too concerned about that presently.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
my new bimmer
Rep

So I had the car scanned with a snap-on scan tool, and one of the codes that came up were 29cd (which I believe is a misfire in cylinder 1). And I didn't copy down the second code properly.

Then when scanned with an obd reader, 2 codes also popped up p0301 and p0128. One is for a misfire in cylinder 1 (he is going to replace some sensor) and the other is apparently for the thermostat, so he is going to change that as well.

The car does begin to idle rough after a few minutes of driving, and some serious lag can be felt. I am guessing the lag is caused by the misfire.

He says the car will be fixed this weekend, so I will go take a look at it again in a few days. Hopefully all is well with the car at this point.

Hopefully that misfiring has not caused any damage to the vehicle itself as I am not sure how long this has been going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
graydog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i 2009

Dash Lights

Quote:
Hi guys,

Problem:

I have a 2009 335i still under warranty. And it is a good thing or I would have been out thousands and still have a problem. A BMW dealer in Charleston WV charged me $150.00 to scan my car. They tell me they have replaced several major parts but they want give me invoices showing that they did. One part was a new turbo but I have no paper work. My dash light still comes on. The last time they had the car for three weeks. The light came back on before I got home. Before you invest in a BMW be warned. I have had two BMW's and two different dealers. The high end dealers lie and rip you off more for add on than any dealers out there. I had the same experience with a M B dealer. The M B dealer tried to cheat me out of $3,500.00 in taxes. They think if you’re buying a high end vehicle you have a lot of money and don’t care or pay any attention. Today I'm waiting for BMW to call me back for the same problem. Just picked up the car Friday.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line F30

If you are looking at an 07-08 335i and it's having performance issues and throwing codes, run fast in the other direction.
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0