E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Plastidip / Wrapping

12-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Plastidip / Wrapping

Quick question...

Am looking at buying a Mazda MPS (yes i have change mind again!!!) and only good ones i can see are red... and i dont like red cars!!

Seen one which is really great value - but wondering if i wanted to plastidip how much would it cost to do?

Ive read thats its cheaper to do then wrapping.... but cant see anywhere in the UK that actually does it.
      12-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Unless I'm mistaken you can't plastidip a whole car. Plastidip is just plastic in a can, I know of people that have used it on wheels to have a change of colour. Not exactly a refurb but gives you an idea of what the wheel would look like in a different colour and protects the wheel to a degree too.

The cost of having a car wrapped depends on the size of the car but I'd expect £1200 or so for the Mazda. Hold out for the right colour in the first place in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

im starting to like the red... and the £1200 staing in my account!
      12-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Think red suits the MPS (and I'm no red fan). There was a recent thread about this very subject, do a search, there was a YouTube clip of an M3 being done in white.

What age MPS are you looking for? The older ones are higher road tax which puts off when I was looking to offload the RX8 (couldn't stretch to the later version).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjones1209 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken you can't plastidip a whole car. Plastidip is just plastic in a can, I know of people that have used it on wheels to have a change of colour. Not exactly a refurb but gives you an idea of what the wheel would look like in a different colour and protects the wheel to a degree too.

The cost of having a car wrapped depends on the size of the car but I'd expect £1200 or so for the Mazda. Hold out for the right colour in the first place in my opinion.
Yea.... Sorry RickyJones but you're wrong. You can plastidip a whole car. You can purchase it in larger quanties which are then connected to a spray gun. Yanks do it all the time.

O.P No. just No. Not because it "cheap wank" but because it simply not durable enough to withstand the weather and nor is it even a respectable finish.... maybe because it is "cheap wank"

Better to buy in the colour you want or wrap it. then again again wrapping it will never give you the depth and shine and beauty of paint.

"could I use anymore smilies "

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P

Yea.... Sorry RickyJones but you're wrong. You can plastidip a whole car. You can purchase it in larger quanties which are then connected to a spray gun. Yanks do it all the time.

O.P No. just No. Not because it "cheap wank" but because it simply not durable enough to withstand the weather and nor is it even a respectable finish.... maybe because it is "cheap wank"

Better to buy in the colour you want or wrap it. then again again wrapping it will never give you the depth and shine and beauty of paint.

"could I use anymore smilies "

Okay fair enough. It was silly of me to say you can't plastidip a whole car because of course it's possible but I can't see why anyone would want to. Buying enough of the stuff to cover a car would still cost a few hundred and as you say the finish would be shit. It's okay stuff for wheels but close up you can see that it is spayed on plastic and not a pearly paint job.

Buy the car in the right colour or make do with red. I actually think red looks smart anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Looks pretty cool, was tempted myself.

But then saw the quality of vinyl wrap.
Appreciate 0