E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bluetooth issue

05-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Bluetooth issue

On the way to UK5 (To anyone who does not know, UK5 was a big UK forum members meet, which took place weekend ago) My blootooth stopped working?

not sure if its the car or the phone but it just wont connect anymore?

anyone else had issues and how did you resolve them?

phone = k850i

Carlos
      05-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

was your tank almost empty?
      05-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Sorry Carlos , my BT has been faultless (Nokia 6320i)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SSII E90 M3

try turning the phone off then on, try turning car BT off then on, leave car 15 mins to reset properly, then try deleting all pairing info and repair.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
e92-320d
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 M3

My bluetooth has gone mad...I say "read phonebook" and it just says "home" and doesn't do anything else (i have about 20 entries in the phonebook), I have read elsewhere on the forum that the only way to reset the bluetooth module is to either disconnect the battery or pull the fuse.....I'm going to take my car back to the dealer....

Miles
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
It's your O2 sims.

Ask James, he's got a source for ones that will put it right... they just take a bit of time to arrive.

Seriously, try deleting the pairing and re-pairing the two before taking it to the dealer.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
I didn't get round to trying out your phone with my car / my phone in your car, at UK5, Carl. Shame.

If you can try out your mobile in another car / try out someone else's phone (known to work with the E9x bluetooth) in your car, then it'll hopefully help to narrow down the problem.

Based on my knowledge of you & your instruction-reading-abilities / inclinations (or lack thereof), try checking to make sure the bluetooth is actually switched on, in the car AND on the phone, ok Carl.

If it still no go, then I can only suggest your phone, your car or both of them are well & truly 'fooookwahed', as you'd say.

There again, you haven't had a software upgrade to the car, before noticing the 'fooookwah', have you, Carl?

Viv

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
My Bluetooth crapped out last September when the Progman was updated. Told I needed to update the software on the phone (Nokia 6230i), I finally got it done in February. It won't pair anymore and BMW AG says it's because the phone is incompatible with the US TCU although it's compatible with the European TCU. Talking with the BMW folks here (stateside) confirms this and they say I need to get a new phone. Trouble is, there are only about two dozen phones that are compatible of which only a handfull are even made anymore and of those only two have the hands-free cradle for connecting to the dorsal fin and charger.

Carlos, your phone doesn't appear to be on the compatibility list available here. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you're (probably) going to have similar problems as me.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
My Bluetooth crapped out last September when the Progman was updated. Told I needed to update the software on the phone (Nokia 6230i), I finally got it done in February. It won't pair anymore and BMW AG says it's because the phone is incompatible with the US TCU although it's compatible with the European TCU. Talking with the BMW folks here (stateside) confirms this and they say I need to get a new phone. Trouble is, there are only about two dozen phones that are compatible of which only a handfull are even made anymore and of those only two have the hands-free cradle for connecting to the dorsal fin and charger.

Carlos, your phone doesn't appear to be on the compatibility list available here. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you're (probably) going to have similar problems as me.

Hi Floyd,

It worked for the past two months with no issues, also my old k800i worked also no issues. It suddenly happened on the way upto UK5. It will really wee me off if it cant be rectified as it just makes a joke out of having bluetooth!!
      05-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post

Hi Floyd.
Hope you're having a good time.

Although the K850i is not listed on BMW's list of 'compatible' bluetooth phones, I know it works fine with the European TCU under Progman v27 onwards.

There is no issue involving US TCUs with Carl's car- only the possibility of a 'damaged' phone or car issue, involving either a hardware or software version problem.

The issue of using a cradle isn't particularly relevant for Carl.
I assume all you want is for your phone just to work as it did previously, without needing a cradle, Carl?

Assuming Carl hasn't had the phone 'unlocked' or firmware updated, then i think his problems will not require him to be forced to change his phone.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Hi Viv,

yes no need for cradle, used to sit in car and would connect 5 sec later. Worked fine for ages. Now it wont connect when i try to add the car to the phone?!
      05-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Carlos, my motorola did this once and I had to run through the whole 'pairing' procedure with the car and the mobile ie. code input for the phone, 'find me' etc. Have you tried running the whole sequence again?

If you have, is there a local mobile phone shop that could check the phone to 'rule out the phone' as the problem? My friend had hers checked out, only took them a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Carl, get the manual out and go through the pairing procedure again. If it doesn't work check it out with a BMW salesman as they must do this for a punter everyday - but I fear if you put it in the garage you will loose your remap.
      05-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #14
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mine did this when I added dialing shortcuts. I removed the shortcuts and problem was resolved.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Carlos!

When dxb met Maxxie (lol) the Mazda, dxb decided she also wanted to be a lightweight, unassisted sports car, first of all dxb decided to rebel against all this technology you put into her, she doesn't want you answering your phone or searching new destinations, she wants to drive, vroooooom!

The next thing you'll notice dxb will decide to lose the A/C system (which adds an awful lot of weight) that lovely plush interior will turn into harsh plastics and two little lightweight cloth seats, the PAS will pack up, the roof will also decide to go missing.

Finally you'll get in dxb to find a strange pedal to the left of the brake and an odd looking gear stick labelled 1,2,3,4,5,R, when you go to open your petrol cap you'll find it says "Unleaded Petrol Only 97Octane and above" then you will know the dxb has finally made its transformation to become the lightweight sports car it has always wanted to be!

Seriously, try resetting your bluetooth, or disconnect the battery, that may make it spring into action Good Luck!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #16
Ragman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 - Gutless, fidgety, BOS

My K610i used to work in the same way the Carl described - no cradle, just get in and it hooks up after 5 seconds.

About a month ago the Bluetooth started to 'play up' - random restarts on the 'phone, disconnecting the call etc. Then the phone just locked up completely - never to work again. Tried all the Voda troubleshooting attempts, battery out, sim out, memory card out, charger in etc etc - Dead.

Ok, so Vodafone sent a replacement out and it worked (but still played up like the last one occasionally) then yesterday afternoon it too went and locked up - no screen, no power, nothing. Press the power on button produces somekind of self test flashing from the LED but that's all.

Vodafone sending a replacement tomorrow.

Could the car be frying these 'phones?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #17
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Hi Floyd.
Hope you're having a good time.

Although the K850i is not listed on BMW's list of 'compatible' bluetooth phones, I know it works fine with the European TCU under Progman v27 onwards.

There is no issue involving US TCUs with Carl's car- only the possibility of a 'damaged' phone or car issue, involving either a hardware or software version problem.

The issue of using a cradle isn't particularly relevant for Carl.
I assume all you want is for your phone just to work as it did previously, without needing a cradle, Carl?

Assuming Carl hasn't had the phone 'unlocked' or firmware updated, then i think his problems will not require him to be forced to change his phone.

All the best.

Viv
Viv,
I wasn't saying there was a US TCU problem with Carlos' car/phone, just relating my experience with an apparently incompatible phone. If you look in the Bluetooth sub-forum you'll find numerous threads and posts about incompatible phones that resemble Carlos' and my phone problems. BMW won't guarantee an unapproved phone will work successfully. It may, it may not. It may work for a while and then pack in. I've been told that the worst that can happen is that it damages the TCU whether it be European [all over the car] or US.

I prefer to use the cradle instead of having the phone flying about the cabin or weighing down my pocket making calls on its own.

BTW, it's absolutely perfect weather here. I may not want to come back.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 02:17 AM   #18
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

I heard a rumour that BMW are now looking into what phone you are pairing with the BT in car kit, if you are not using a "BMW approved phone" and your in car unit dies they will not warrant a claim under warranty. oppps
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #19
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
I heard a rumour that BMW are now looking into what phone you are pairing with the BT in car kit, if you are not using a "BMW approved phone" and your in car unit dies they will not warrant a claim under warranty. oppps
If they're going to do that then they need to get on the ball and get more than the few currently available cell phones approved instead of the three year old list they have now. And then NOT change their software and make a previously approved cell phone stop working.

I've done quite a bit of searching this past week using the BMW approved listing, going to the four US carriers in this area (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon) and of the twenty-four phones listed, only six were even available. And none of them had the compatible software level listed. I can, I suppose, buy the cell phone from BMW via www.wireless4bmw.com but at a 150-200% mark-up. BMW doesn't recommend using a cell phone inside the car unless it is connected to the external (dorsal fin) antenna yet there are only two currently available cell phones that have the touted snap-in adapter (I know, here we go again). Surprisingly (NOT), the cell phone sitting in the adapter that is shown on the BMWUSA.com web page is my current phone but it has never been a BMW approved phone in the US. Would anyone care to try to explain that?

Please forgive my ranting about US phones on the UK sub-forum but, trust me, you have the exact same issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #20
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That can only be a load of bollox.

They would have to write to every owner with the compatible phones!
      05-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #21
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Exclamation Bogus!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
That can only be a load of bollox.

They would have to write to every owner with the compatible phones!
Personally, if this is likely to be true, then I think it's unbelievably poor service by BMW.

There are a lot of bluetooth-enabled mobile phones around which are quite capable of transferring contacts between each other, but completely unable to do the same with the BMW Bluetooth & Telecommunications Control Unit (TCU).
Unfortunately, having the 'headset','handsfree' & 'object push' profiles on the mobile is not always sufficient to ensure your phone will be able to send its contacts over to the car, even though you may be able to make & receive calls.

I've had a few Windows Mobile 5 & 6 phones which are not on any BMW-approved phone list, but they have worked fine with regards to phonebook transfer, receiving & making calls.
The dealership I use know what phones I've used & have upgraded my Progman software a few times, under warranty, because of various issues, including BT connection problems, with phones on the 'approved' list & also with phones which are not. There again, I don't think they will try to tell me what they can't do, when faced with a SIB printout telling them otherwise.

In my view, for BMW to say they will no longer honour warranty claims, if they find out that I used one of the 99% of phones which are unfortunately not on their 'list', is ridiculously sh*te.
If there is any chance of a BT pairing damaging the car's TCU, then the software controlling the TCU has simply not been designed properly. I just don't think blaming 'incompatible' phones is good enough. In fact, I think it's downright cheeky.
Also, BMW would have to prove, beyond all shadow of doubt, that a specific model of phone with a specific firmware, was wholly & solely responsible for damaging their TCU, if they decided to backtrack on warranty claims. That would be / 'could be made to be' an extremely difficult task for BMW, should they choose to follow that route of 'stupidity'.

In all seriousness, I'm so , I'd purposely go out of my way to acquire a batch of compatible phones & firmware (eg Sony Ericsson T610 & W880i) to hire out to members, just in case someone does have a problem with their bluetooth connection, they don't have a 'listed' phone & they need to claim under warranty.

Rant not over.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Your a good old boy Viv, sorry i didnt ring the other night... been wrapped up with all sorts of shiiight recently!

Carlos