E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MMW Headers- Teaser

12-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #23
Teeeg28
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 "328i" N51
Location: San Diego a.k.a. A Whales Vagina // Cal State San Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
PM Mapleridge, he could be starting a batch, same benefits as MMW with less noise.
are they on FB?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #24
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeg28 View Post
are they on FB?
Nope, but here's the thread.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772142
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #25
MBP0202
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: n52

Update...

I used the Simon tool from AA yesterday to download my ECU/DME. I sent it Zak@ActiveAutowerke and he worked his magic and sent it back already! Just wanted to say thanks to Zak for the speedy turnaround and for addressing all my questions and concerns!

Here's my original email and his responses...

Hi Zak,

I was told you were the person to send my ecu/dme file to for modification.

I downloaded the file from the car with no problems. My exhaust is in the following order if it makes any difference, MMW catless headers, secondary cats (to help clean up the smell/pollution) and the BMW Performance Exhaust (no resonator.)

I have the following modifications to my car...

-BMW Performance Intake
-BMW Performance Exhaust
-Muirhead Motorwerks Catless Headers

Just a couple questions,

1. Can you please make this tune work with 91 or higher octane? I don't want to do 93+ because although I can usually get 93, sometimes I have to settle for 91 because 93 is not available in some locations near me.

2. I understand in order for the ecu/dme not to throw a CEL error code with the MMW catless headers, you will have to turn off/disable the o2 sensors, is that correct? Do you disable both the front and rear sensors of where the primary cat would be?

3. Will the CEL come on immediately after I upload the tune? I am installing the headers this week, and I plan to upload the AA tune right before I start the car for the first time (w/ the headers.)

again a forum member...

"Did you use AA's Simon flash tool? If you did the CEL will turn off after the fourth start."

Hi there,

Here are the new files to upload to your Simon programmer. I have not done the o2 delete on your specific software version so this is a test of sorts. If you get a check engine light get the car scanned by the dealership or an independent shop that has some good tools (Autologic, GT1, E-Sys etc.) After I receive the code numbers I can delete the errors out of the DME.

1. The tune will work great with everything from 93 - 91. These new generation ECUs adapt very quickly to changes in octane rating and environmental changes. It will run as hard as it can 100% of the time without issue.

2. We only disable the rear oxygen sensors, the fronts are very important to the way the car runs. Like I said above you may need to get me some feedback so I may disable these.

3. You will get a CEL immediately after you flash the car. The code is caused by the transmission losing connection with the DME. It is a harmless fault and will not cause any issues with the way the car runs.

Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns!

Zak Nye
Software Engineer
Active Autowerke

The next steps are to...

1. Get the headers installed. (Should be this weekend)

2. Flash the car with the AA tune.

2.5. Take videos/pictures of the set-up

3. Drive it around to set any/all fault codes.

4. Have a shop scan and give me a print out of all the codes, so I can then give them to Zak to delete them out of my DME.

More to come, stay tuned.

2007 E90 328xi l 6MT l Sparkling Graphite Metallic l ZSP l ZPP l ZCW l iDrive l Logic 7 l Mapleridge Headers l 3 Stage Intake Manifold l AA tune l BMW Performance Intake l Euphoria 6K LED interior l Blacklines l V3 Mtec l VMR VB3

Last edited by MBP0202; 01-11-2013 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #26
tonynuuk
Greenland
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325xi US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
Super loud and raspy. Someone has already installed a PE with headers and posted video.

Wauw that sounds cheap or rice, as some say. Loud but cheap. You're taking out class and good taste of the car IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Wow, cant wait for this to be completed. Can you PM me how much you paid if you dont mind? I am thinking about going AA also, I have the BMS pbx and although I love it, Ive heard the AA is tons better!

Subscribedd
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynuuk View Post
Wauw that sounds cheap or rice, as some say. Loud but cheap. You're taking out class and good taste of the car IMO.
wow, I love rasp and all but that video really sounds terrible. Like a civic with a bad exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #29
Teeeg28
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 "328i" N51
Location: San Diego a.k.a. A Whales Vagina // Cal State San Marcos

wish i could get some of those for my n51
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #30
MBP0202
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, update time!

Finally got the headers on!

The set-up.

MMW headers, secondary cats intact, and the BMW Performance Exhaust

The job wasn't too bad, but of course with a lift and all the tools at my friends garage it makes a heck a lot easier. This job definitely goes easier with an extra set of hands, and it took two days (obviously not in a rush) but it was started Thursday night and finished Saturday morning.

I didn't have my camera with me until it was off the lift, and I was driving but when I got home I took a couple of shots from the top. The black ceramic coating I think looks real nice in the engine bay, kind of an off-set black compared to the rest of the engine bay.

Ok, now on the important stuff. Performance and sound.

Performance- When the car was all buttoned back up, I uploaded the AA off-road tune on. This was a test of sorts because the file didn't have the rear o2 sensors off, so I currently do have the CEL light on. I am going to drive it around to have it throw all the codes, then I'll scan it and give Zak@AA the codes and he can remove and I'll be all set to go!

Obviously only driving it 10 miles back to my house and to get gas the tune hasn't quite sunk in, but make no mistake about it there is a noticeable difference. The car pulls nice and strong with the headers with in sync with the AA tune! Like other people say the car feels "optimized" and the tachometer just seems light and easily goes through the rpm range. And of course I know, dyno, dyno, dyno. Work is getting busy, but I'll be on the lookout for an AWD dyno sometime soon.

Sound- It doesn't sound much like the video above. Of course you'll see I didn't get anybody to record me driving by as its snowing here, but I'm more concerned with how it sounds inside the car. Cameras never do it justice, but if you're sensible especially in slow areas, with this setup you should have no problems with the cops in regards to being too loud. If you keep it under 4k it just sound amazing! I drove home with the windows down, it sounds just like performance exhaust x2 in normal driving. But make no mistake if you step on it, above 4k it gets loud.

As far as rasp and drone go, not much of either. I know it's hard to believe with that video and all. I didn't get to drive it crazy today due to the weather but I'll test out the upper end of the rpm range later to see if it rasps, but not under 4k I know that much. No highway driving yet, but minimal drone at best. I had my radio on normal volume, and I can only hear it above 3k. It's weird to describe, its like you can hear it at all times obviously when you step on the gas, but it is very well mannered (I think the BMW Performance is mostly to thank for this.) If you had the radio on normally, and just cruised at 2.5k in 3rd or 4th doing 40-50mph, you would barely notice it. That's what I like, no attention in normal driving, but when you need hear it, it delivers with the sound and the performance.

Ok here are some pictures

Ok, now for a couple videos

The first one is a luke warm idle, aka I left in the garage but with the door up, and its 25 degrees here. The car was sitting for about an hour and half after I got home from the shop. So not totally warm, but not cold. I'll try to get cold tomorrow or Monday.

This next one I made myself while driving back from getting groceries. Please excuse the crazy noise at 1:45 I dunno what happened. Snowing, one hand with camera and one on the wheel, and groceries. Aka normal driving , but you get the idea.

2007 E90 328xi l 6MT l Sparkling Graphite Metallic l ZSP l ZPP l ZCW l iDrive l Logic 7 l Mapleridge Headers l 3 Stage Intake Manifold l AA tune l BMW Performance Intake l Euphoria 6K LED interior l Blacklines l V3 Mtec l VMR VB3

Last edited by MBP0202; 12-30-2012 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #31
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Nice review! Can't wait to get mine!!!!! Can you please explain to me how the AA tune works with the headers? I mean regarding the CEL..So you got the headers and right after you uploaded the AA tune? Don't you have to go to a tuner shop to do that? Or do you have the handheld? What's the off-road setting? I'm a bit confused on this thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #32
MBP0202
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks!

The off-road tune is a little bit more aggressive in the fact that it just takes advantage of the fact that there aren't those restrictive primaries in place. Your best bet is to email Active and get a true, concrete answer.

I put the headers on, then immediately flashed it with the off-road tune. Normally the off-road tune has the rear o2 sensors turned off, that way it prevents the CEL from coming on. This is good for people living in states without emissions.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MBP0202; 01-11-2013 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0