E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 335i (N54) turbo warranty extended for wastegate issues to 8yrs/82k miles

07-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #331
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy415 View Post
For those that had there turbos replaced, how long did the dealer keep your car for? Just curious to know how long I'll be without the car
Just had mine done at Performance BMW in Chapel Hill, NC. Had the car from Saturday and it was done on Wednesday. Great service btw for anyone who needs it done in that area!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #332
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
This is crazy, all I got was new WasteGates.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #333
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I just had mine replaced under warranty at Classic BMW ,Dallas Tx. It only took a day for me. I was kinda surprised..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #334
ArthurL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT (E93)

So it looks like BMW is keeping my car for another half week or so.. they replaced the wastegates and it continued making noise so they're going to replace the turbos. Pretty sweet.. but I'm kind of bummed because I really wanted to drive her this weekend. Dealer will have the car for 2 weeks assuming they'll be done by this Wednesday. Can't complain about new turbos though
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #335
JDrago1926
335i Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
How can I request to get this done? Does BMW charge you? I'm on Long Island and my car had the HFPF recall done at 17K miles before I purchased the car. I bought the car with 29K miles and during acceleration of 2k-3k it rattles and decel it rattles and kind of clanks through my exhaust..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #336
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrago1926 View Post
How can I request to get this done? Does BMW charge you? I'm on Long Island and my car had the HFPF recall done at 17K miles before I purchased the car. I bought the car with 29K miles and during acceleration of 2k-3k it rattles and decel it rattles and kind of clanks through my exhaust..
U sir are getting 2 free turbos, do not do mods till after u get your snails
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #337
JDrago1926
335i Owner
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
U sir are getting 2 free turbos, do not do mods till after u get your snails
How do I get it approved though? I just recently went to the dealer for the N54 HPFP fuel pump recall and they said it was replaced at 17K miles. I mentioned the rattle to my SA but said I wasn't sure what it was. He said they would have to charge to diagnose.... Is there anything I can send him?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #338
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do I get it approved though? I just recently went to the dealer for the N54 HPFP fuel pump recall and they said it was replaced at 17K miles. I mentioned the rattle to my SA but said I wasn't sure what it was. He said they would have to charge to diagnose.... Is there anything I can send him?
Sounds like u need a new dealership, have u tried JMK in NJ??? U will get less BS.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #339
JDrago1926
335i Owner
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sounds like u need a new dealership, have u tried JMK in NJ??? U will get less BS.
I live in New York so it's tough but if I could go through with you maybe if you have a SA there I wouldn't mind.. When decel it almost feels like you can hear rattling/back pressure going through my exhaust and sometimes around 0-5 mph (only on decel) it feels like I get a ton of back pressure and my car jolts almost like it's shifting like crap... any idea?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #340
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I live in New York so it's tough but if I could go through with you maybe if you have a SA there I wouldn't mind.. When decel it almost feels like you can hear rattling/back pressure going through my exhaust and sometimes around 0-5 mph (only on decel) it feels like I get a ton of back pressure and my car jolts almost like it's shifting like crap... any idea?
Make an appt for having it looked at, they should give u a loaner too. I can go with u if u like on a weekend, but i'm booked up till aug 10th weekend. What u r typing is 100% text book wastegate rattle and turbos r in ur future. How many miles on the car? Are u cpo?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #341
JDrago1926
335i Owner
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Make an appt for having it looked at, they should give u a loaner too. I can go with u if u like on a weekend, but i'm booked up till aug 10th weekend. What u r typing is 100% text book wastegate rattle and turbos r in ur future. How many miles on the car? Are u cpo?
Damn.. bad news for me I am not CPO... 31K miles on car.. I bought car from Nissan dealership 2 months ago with an extended warranty on engine/tranny but nothing else
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #342
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn.. bad news for me I am not CPO... 31K miles on car.. I bought car from Nissan dealership 2 months ago with an extended warranty on engine/tranny but nothing else
Never fear, the turbos have an 8yr/82k mile warranty for the rattle. No deductible and a free loaner. I'm guessing they are just CYA and telling u there will be a charge for the checking labor should bmw na reject the replacement.

You should ask questions in advance of the service, what is their policy on turbo replacements? Meaning do they require multiple steps/visits to rule out other issues??? Or do they just diag it and swap the turbos if there is any rattle?? I would strongly recommend going back to stock before doing this inspection (especially if you have aftermarket down pipes)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #343
JDrago1926
335i Owner
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Never fear, the turbos have an 8yr/82k mile warranty for the rattle. No deductible and a free loaner. I'm guessing they are just CYA and telling u there will be a charge for the checking labor should bmw na reject the replacement.

You should ask questions in advance of the service, what is their policy on turbo replacements? Meaning do they require multiple steps/visits to rule out other issues??? Or do they just diag it and swap the turbos if there is any rattle?? I would strongly recommend going back to stock before doing this inspection (especially if you have aftermarket down pipes)
Isn't it just the wastegate?

I posted on the forum and I am completely stock... all though I just ordered a ton of crap...

OEM Plugs
OEM Coils
BMS DCI
VRSF FMIC

and OpenFlash Tablet/AA BOV kit next

Tons of crap to throw on once all my maintenance is normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #344
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Isn't it just the wastegate?

I posted on the forum and I am completely stock... all though I just ordered a ton of crap...

OEM Plugs
OEM Coils
BMS DCI
VRSF FMIC

and OpenFlash Tablet/AA BOV kit next

Tons of crap to throw on once all my maintenance is normal.
Wastegates on these rides are internal and part of the turbo, so u will have to get an entire new pair as part of the recall (for free). At which point... U might want to see what they can do about dropping in some RBs instead of the stock ones
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #345
Boost4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E63S AMG

My service manager is doing all it can to avoid replacing my turbos for some reason. I brought my car in for its yearly oil change & to have a walnut blast done due to misfires, all covered under my CPO extended warranty. I told him that I have the famous wastegate rattle, it is so loud that his employee heard it as I was pulling in. As I'm telling the service manager about it, he tells me right off the bat that it they cannot replace it just because of the sound alone, but that he'll look into it.

So a week later after they completed my oil change & walnut blasting to my intake valves, the service manager tells me that BMW will not replace my turbos or wastegates due to sound alone, it has to completely fail or at least throw codes in order for them to replace it, which my car didn't do . What do I do now? my rattle is very apparent, I have looked through a few videos that people have posted in this forum & mine is louder than all of theirs. It is quite embarrassing actually to drive when I am giving it a little gas & let off, only to be followed by the loud rattle.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #346
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
It doesn't matter where you bought it or if its CPO. If its within the 7 years and 82,000 miles then you can take it to a dealership for new turbos if the wastegates rattle... Under warranty. I got mine replaced for free after the warranty had expired. The car was at about 76k miles. I spent a weekend putting the stock downpipes and I take back on and it was a breeze after that. Now I have to put my pipes back on... Which takes a tole on the body (my back).
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #347
Boost4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E63S AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
It doesn't matter where you bought it or if its CPO. If its within the 7 years and 82,000 miles then you can take it to a dealership for new turbos if the wastegates rattle... Under warranty. I got mine replaced for free after the warranty had expired. The car was at about 76k miles. I spent a weekend putting the stock downpipes and I take back on and it was a breeze after that. Now I have to put my pipes back on... Which takes a tole on the body (my back).
Yep I'm aware of the 8yr/82k warranty. Did your car throw any codes for the dealer to replace them or did they replaced it from just hearing the rattle? Because right now my rattle is very apparent but the service manager keeps telling me BMW will not give them the nod to replace them unless it is throwing codes or the turbos completely fail on me, they say they will not replace it based on just sound alone. I have a feeling this service manager is just trying to ram me from behind

Last edited by Boost4me; 07-21-2013 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #348
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

What sort of codes are people getting (if any)?

I've been hearing a low RPM rattle for a while now (figured it was due to age); but for the past three weeks I'd get the "half engine" light fairly often on acceleration. Took it to a private shop b/c I'm out of warranty, and got two codes:
  • 2AAF : Fuel pump, plausibility
  • 30FF : Turbocharger, charge-air pressure too low

The earliest appointment was for 7/29 to "check codes" (which they told me was $152).

Anyone with similar experience, insight, or advice?

Last edited by MrSteak; 07-21-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #349
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

How common is it to have rattling when you take off in first and shifting to 2nd and 3rd before the boost builds up. My turbos were just replaced with the updated versions and it still rattles a bit under those conditions. I talked with my service advisor who said they would replace them again but my dealer is 3 hours away so I don't to take it down there if it's a normal occurrence.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #350
dkay1
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I have a 2007 BMW 335i and the waste-gattle rattle is very apparent. I live in Germany, as I am overseas with the military. I've been reading through the very informative posts regarding the issue. I have heard a broad range of responses as to what an SA or dealership will do for the customers. I plan on contacting a dealership in another city tomorrow regarding the issue and I am wondering if there are any keywords or phrases that consumers have used to get the turbos and waste-gate's replaced under the warranty. Should I have a copy of the TSB available to read off to the tech, or just schedule an appointment and see how it goes from there?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #351
feenin4rich
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E92 335i

Walnut Blast is covered by CPO if you have misfires? I might need to get this done then. How many miles did you have on your car?

Quote:
My service manager is doing all it can to avoid replacing my turbos for some reason. I brought my car in for its yearly oil change & to have a walnut blast done due to misfires, all covered under my CPO extended warranty. I told him that I have the famous wastegate rattle, it is so loud that his employee heard it as I was pulling in. As I'm telling the service manager about it, he tells me right off the bat that it they cannot replace it just because of the sound alone, but that he'll look into it.

So a week later after they completed my oil change & walnut blasting to my intake valves, the service manager tells me that BMW will not replace my turbos or wastegates due to sound alone, it has to completely fail or at least throw codes in order for them to replace it, which my car didn't do . What do I do now? my rattle is very apparent, I have looked through a few videos that people have posted in this forum & mine is louder than all of theirs. It is quite embarrassing actually to drive when I am giving it a little gas & let off, only to be followed by the loud rattle.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #352
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:

Have you tried a different dealer?

WG rattle was enough for the shop foreman to replace mine.

I just don't get why dealers turn people away, for crying out loud they get paid for it.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0